Weird Distributor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Weird Distributor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Saville on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:25 am:

I have a Bosch distributor with a GM style plate welded in place. I can't find tune-up parts for it so I ordered a replacement. The one on the car fits just like any "new" distributor, fitting in a hole and lining up with the cam gear. The new one looks for a plate to be removed and an extra gear is used to tie in with the cam at a 90 degree angle. I need one that simply stabs through the block to match the cam gear. I didn't think any of the model T's has such a setup. If it is standard, why the cobbled up dist in the first place. It would be great to find tune-up parts for the one in the car but I have been to several places and they just look at me with a blank look in their eye. Anyone run into this? What cap, rotor and points, not to mention the condenser??

Thanks for any help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:20 am:

image If its this one, there is information here; http://modeltranch.com/show_product.asp?idProduct=4 hope this helps. If not some photos of what you have would be most helpful for the identification and possible solution of your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Saville on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Here are some pics of this pieced together piece...Disdis2dis3Dis4dis3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Saville on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

I guess it makes sense to post pics. Sorry. Notice that the model number from the points plate is a GM number and that the plate is welded in place. The coil post in the cap has been altered as well.
Again, I ordered a standard replacement dis but it doesn't mount the same way as this one. Good chance that this is not a 25 motor. When did they start putting distributors instead of the magneto/communicator setups?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

All distributors were aftermarket on Model T's, so it's hard to tell what you have - the other end were it attaches to the engine is more interesting, there are lots of variations..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

That is a modified Bosch distributor for a front plate Bosch set up. Here's what it goes to.
up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I am running a original bosch front plate distributor in my car . Its not stock from the factory but an era correct accessory. I love it. The built in centrifugal advance is a plus. But your looks a bit altered with modern points and condenser. It sounds like you have the front plate also. You can buy new axle and gears from the vendors. Other parts are hard to find. eBay list parts from time to time. If you wan to install a brand new distributor you can buy a ready made shaft to mate with it.Most vendors have them in stock I think.I know somebody here on this forum had NOS parts fore sale last year. Do a search .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Here is a link to a previous posting.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/319710.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Just have to add. There is two types American Bosch distributors for the model T. One is the clip on type and the other is your front plate dist. They are not the same. For instance the rotor hole fore the axle is larger on the clip on type. I'm not sure about the cap, condenser or the points

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Saville on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

That's it. The top hole is where the distributor fits. The left one is the oil fill. Now if I can just find parts for the Bosh distributor. Anyone have a source or part numbers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Saville on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Actually, it would be great to replace it. It has been altered so much the original cap and points may not fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Saville on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

I found a new Bosh plate distributor kit!
They have at least one more at http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/bosch-plate-distributor-kit

My apologies to Texas T Parts.
https://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=982d18d7e59d6406f1d402d6 821b112b&Screen=SFNT&Order=0&Store_Code=TTP
I purchased the clip-on type from them and they have been very gracious. Good people and lots of downloads! I found a wiring diagram that helped me rewire the entire car. I will be sending more business their way (if they'll have me).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

I'm glad you found a replacement distributor. Looks good. Probably the best solution, since the old one looked a bit tired.
But don't trow it away, there is a market fore old American Bosch parts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration