How do you clean a 1924 Runabout Convertible top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How do you clean a 1924 Runabout Convertible top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darrell Honeycutt on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Hey guys, can you tell me the best way to clean a 1924 convertible top? Don't want to do anything to damage it but it needs cleaned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:08 am:

If its a new modern vinyl top, then mild soap and water and brush off old dried dirt and any dust.

Then apply vinyl dressing, favorite of mine is Nu-Vinyl, Reed-Union Corp, just wipe on and let dry, no rubbing or buffing needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darrell Honeycutt on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:10 am:

It is not new. Don't know the age. Here is a photo of it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:00 am:

It may not be new, but on a restored car like that I would assume it's modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Great car btw, love that it never got retrofitted with demountable rims! If unsure, just start by removing loose dirt and dust with warm water and super soft brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Use a mild/neutral soap and water.

If it's naugahyde, use a sponge.

If it's cloth/Haartz material, use a scrub brush.

Always wash in the shade.

Cloth tops tend to accumulate dust. When dry, a cloth top can be brushed with whisk broom or furniture brush between washings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:41 am:

I expect a shop vac would get the dust off a dry top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

I have had good luck on my new top using hot water and soap. My wife bought top cleaner at advance auto and it worked great. They have several brands and they all have the same ingredients.I dont have to clean them but once a year now that i bought a california car cover that fits very tight and keep dust from building up..Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Do people clean those?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

water stains can be removed with white vinegar.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darrell Honeycutt on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Steve, the car belonged to my wife's grandmother's half brother and it has not been what I would call restored. It was painted and probably got a top and seat covers around the mid 1970s but the car is original other than that. It sat in a barn for years while it was in the family and we are just glad to get it back! However, learning how to "treat" it and drive it has a huge learning curve but we are trying. Thanks to very one who posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

On my 1915 roadster, nothing had been done to the top since it was restored in 1951. I used black Ritz dye and a sponge to wash it. It restrained it black and looks good. Did it 5 years ago. Then took fabric stain and water repeller and sprayed it good. The top still looks very good. I requested ideas through this forum for ideas and a guy with I believe a MG shared the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

If you know a nurse ,or a Doctor,ask them for a used surgical scrub brush. They are a soft plastic bristle and are real nice for scrubbing tops.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration