Need Some Support...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need Some Support...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Working on a 23 Runabout and despite doing quite a bit of digging I can not determine what, if any, is the correct steering column support to use. I am talking about the support that fastens to the dash and column. In case it matters this car has a low cowl and a low steel firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Tim: I do not think there is one. My 23 Low Rad Touring has an aftermarket brace on it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:44 am:

I have thought that the low cowl cars didn't have the column support that attaches to the dash.

Not sure about that though. I have seen cars that have the later dash bracket. I used one of the column supports that attaches under the dash on the wooden firewall on my 21 Touring low cowl car.
Probably folks added the later style bracket for better support over time as their T's got older.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Tim,

As the others have suggested, I don't believe your car is supposed to have a support.

What type of dash do you have?

If it's this style, you need bracket p/n 3500, which attaches to the 3 holes;

If it's this style, you need no bracket;

This assumes you've got the correct dash for your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Tim: If you have the one that has the three holes, PM me. I have some NOS ones. Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Here's what I have. I'm not sure either is correct.

1923 touring. It had modern fasteners, which I replaced with carriage bolts. The dust is an aftermarket accessory.

1923 Fordor. Pretty sure this is not original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Here's what I have. I'm not sure either is correct.

1923 touring. It had modern fasteners, which I replaced with carriage bolts. The dust is an aftermarket accessory.

1923 Fordor. Pretty sure this is not original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Sorry about the extra post. The site won't let me delete it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Steve, you are supposed to be able to edit or delete posts if you do it within a few minutes. I've never succeeded at it either, though. Of course, I blame that on my slow dial-up connection! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

My 23 didn't have that bracket either. I added one though and it sure made the column stiffer/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

David, I can usually edit if I catch it in time. But this time the software insisted that the user name and password I always use were wrong. I blame the whimsy of the computer gods. Like the gods of ancient Greece, they're just like people, but worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

I'm quite sure that the 23 didn't have it from the factory, but it was often added as an aftermarket part as it does stiffen up the steering. If there are holes in the dash, they were put there after the car left the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Just to chime in - I have an original unrestored 23 runabout (w/metal firewall) and there is no column support bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

According to Bruce's CD, this is the info I gleaned from his research:

The low metal firewall was first introduced in March or April of 1923, you can tell original early 23 bodies with metal firewall, as the dash does not have a steering column bracket on the dash.
The steering column bracket was added later in the spring, probably late April or May, and then in June 1923, the high metal firewall was then used.

My early 1923 touring does not have a factory bracket on the dash, but added this neat old farmer's home made bracket, hand forged. An speedo gear brace is the lower part!

Here is an early '23 with metal firewall, no dash bracket.

Later '23 and on. Dash bracket added by factory.

Many kinds of aftermarket steering column braces made, then in '23 and on, all the newer Fords had factory braces, so the aftermarket are only found on earlier bodies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

Dan wins again for having the best pics! Those first 2 are a real revelation to me. Never saw, (or paid attention to), that style of dash with NO support bracket holes. That's got to be a super hard dash to find!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I was about to weigh in about the clamp on bracket and then realized the one on the right just above this is my car! I can tell because of the turn signal switch and the fact it needs a bath. I must have posted it in the past. It was with the car when I pulled out of the barn in the 70s. Had been there since the 30s when my grandfather's nephew parked it there. It works quite well and must have been a pretty common add on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

Steve

Yep, snagged your photo to file :-)

Here is a catalog page with that one, and several more aftermarket steering column braces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Jerry, I have the first dash in your post. I don't have a picture to post but it appears that an after market one has been installed as it is square with four mounting screws. Thanks for all the help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration