Anybody on the California central coast with riveting tools?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anybody on the California central coast with riveting tools?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:37 am:

I need to rivet my quadrant and steering box to my steering column- would anybody on the California central coast be able to help out with tools and knowledge?

I've never set solid rivets and can't afford the tools right now.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Mike, The tools you need are a hammer and buck (or two hammers).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Uh, Mike, like many folks who live down your way, you forget the rest of the state north of LA. Your profile says you are in Carlsbad, which is south of LA and a little north of San Diego. Heck, from where I am, San Francisco is considered Central coast!
There are some wonderful T folks somewhat near you that would be very helpful, although I know a few of them are on the Southwest tour right now.
John is right, you just need a ball pein hammer and a buck (can be a larger hammer, a good eye and aim, and maybe a little experience doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

John, thanks for the response. I thought I had to heat them before riveting but now that I think about it, they are pretty small and should be just fine done cold. I may give it a try on a junk column first.

Would you recommend a buck with a hollowed out spot for the pre-formed rivet head, or a flat chunk of steel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

David, thanks for the response as well. I am actually living in San Luis Obispo right now, originally from Carlsbad. I'm kinda "in-between" right now, having just graduated college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Mike, the later columns I have all have the rivets flattened on both ends. None show a domed head, however, I guess you could do it either way and be right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

By the way, the important thing is to get them tight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Michael,

Two hollowed out bucks are best. You could buy them, but seeing that you're not up for that now, just make them. Take 2 chunks of steel and drill them just enough to make a divit with the drill point, maybe 3/32" - 1/8" deep. It won't be a perfect sphere, but it will be close enough.

Before riveting, trim the rivet length so that it extends 1.5 diameters from the steering column. In other words, if your rivet is 3/32", (.093"), diameter, it should protrude 9/64", (.093 x 1.5).

Use one buck to back up the rivet while you hammer the other end. Don't beat the rivet down totally with the hammer. Then, place the other buck over what you've just hammered. Pound on that buck to finish forming the rivet head. Be careful that either buck has not come out of place during the process or you'll mess up the rivet.

(You may need some trial & error with the depth of the divits you've drilled into your bucks.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Good to know, thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

By the way, if you've got a Dremel tool with a spherical burr or grinding wheel, you could form a spherical radius into the drill divits and get a more "properly" shaped buck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

Ah SLO town, eh? Congrats on making it through the maze to graduation. Architect or ? BTW, SLO town is still "down south" from these parts! :-)
Jerry covered everything, including the Dremel tool idea. Yes, if you have a "junk" column to try it on, that would be best. Make certain your column has no cracks in it, they like to crack on the upper end. If you can have someone hold the tube while you hammer away, that's best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Mike,

If you want to bring your column up to my place, I have plenty of workspace, tools etc. to do the job. I think I sent you my phone # on a prior pm. If not pm me again.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Thanks David! I graduated with my BSc in Mechanical Engineering. Still looking for a job but I'm enjoying the time off for now. My column has several cracks but I'm addressing that this week with some thorough welding and grinding.

John- I will take you up on that offer. I have the space and tools but an extra set of hands would help, and I'd love to check out your car. I'll call this afternoon to check your availability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:44 am:

Mike
If you go up to Johns, make sure he taking good care of the 14 ( its currently on life support)and don't let Fritzie buffalo you into thinking that she NEEDS to sit in your lap :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Bill- I heard it might have joined the two-piece club, that's a shame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Michael

It may have. I first I thought it joined the 2 piece valve club, but john is thinking lower than me. The knock started when I shorted #2 and remained when I stopped shorting #2. I shut it down QUICKLY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Harbor Freight

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration