Early Drive Shaft Assembly 1914

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Early Drive Shaft Assembly 1914
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

I am attempting to assemble an 1914 early driveshaft(closed spool)and differential from disassembled parts. I have the differential figured out from the MTFCA manual but the pinion end assembly is another story. I don't have an assembled sample to go by nor is the manual clear to me. I am unable to find a drawing or sketch of how this assembly comes together. Any advice out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

Tom, the early spools go together in this order
From the torque tube, the cup and ball bearing assembly (the thrust bearing) with the race and retainer ring are pressed into the end of the spool so the base of the cup is flush with the forward end of the spool. Next goes the distance washer followed by the Hyatt roller bearing which rides on an inner sleeve pressed on to the driveshaft. Next is the pinion gear with a key.
The cup of the thrust bearing must be placed on the drive shaft before pressing on a new inner sleeve. The spool itself has an outer sleeve that should be replaced. The most difficult part of the rebuild is removing and installing a new inner sleeve. There is a special tool for removing the old one but installing the new takes some thinking. Chaffins book on the Ruckstell rebuild includes sections on drive shafts. A good reference to have in your library.
In lieu of finding a decent cup for the thrust bearing. You can use the later style thrust bearing assembly if you cut a piece of an old outer sleeve to fill up the space normally occupied by the cup. The object is to reduce the ID of the spool to the same dimension as a later open spool so the later thrust bearing can be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Quigley on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Thanks for the detail. I have two things you mentioned - the Chaffins book and the inner sleeve removal tool. It seems i lack the cup and ball bearing assy and the snap ring. I think i like the idea of placing part of the old outer sleeve to fill the void filled by the old cup, thereby allowing use of the "newer" thrust bearing arrangement. Tq

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration