Telltale sawdust pile

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Telltale sawdust pile
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

I have a pile of sawdust forming under a hole in the underside of the above wooden wheel spoke on my '26 T touring. How do I rid myself of this Shagabark Hickory devouring pest. This is my first viewing of the evidence of this ravenous rascal.
Suggestions for an effective pesticide?
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Any advice from the Happiness Council?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Great Stuff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Are you sure this is from a bug? If so, a squirt of Hot Shot should end the matter. But many times what looks like sawdust is the product of a disintegrating wheel. When that happens, it's time for new wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

It could be dry wood termites or carpenter ants, however, if the spokes have shrunk in length they might be moving up and down in the felloe as you drive around. You would hear some creaking and maybe if you push and pull the top of the wheel you can see some slack. In that case, the sawdust is from wear rather than from bugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Your wheel needs to be re-spoked.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Around here I have to watch out for wood borer bees. They make big holes. And they like my deck :-(.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Wayne, and they'll bore into Redwood too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

David, Glad you mentioned Redwood. I'd like to share a tongue twister I created some years ago. Do realize this was totally by accident! I asked this simple question to another guy in the shop: "Will Redwood Rot?" As you might guess, it came out all tangled up! So... I DARE you, say it fast three times! Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Wayne nailed it, they like barn rafters too! You need to have your car inside, if you killed this one then another may start the process all over again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Curtis...Atlanta,Ga on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

Sounds like powder post bugs. They make a small round 1/16 hole, and a little pile of saw dust. A shot of brake cleaner with a straw on the nozzle will take care of him. There are probably more though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

I heard that our government has a special program to protect these pests as an endangered species. It seems that there are not enough T wheels for the little critters.
I find Dursban/Lursban will kill any creepy/crawley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

I never would of thought of this happening for the rest of my life.

There is a very good joke in this ...somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Where there is one bug there are likely more, since I have started looking they seem to be everywhere... Assuming the spokes are still ok (not so easy to tell unless they are cut open)it seems that Boron mixed up in a water or glycol solution might be helpful for insects such as the powder post beetle. My father has a small mill; my brother discovered beetles in some wood brought to him which then lead to us to discover that we had a pretty big infestation. It's pretty painful to take a chainsaw to 2' wide hard maple boards and put them in the furnace but that was how my father heated his house last winter. We bandsawed into various pieces of wood before burning it was a little scary to see what damage the beetles can do as larvae. This spring all new lumber is getting sprayed as a water boron solution, dry lumber is getting sprayed with glycol boron solution; the glycol will keep the surface wetted for some time. I am not sure the concentration dad is using, so you might want to google something like: boron powder post beetle you will get better information. For a couple small pieces of wood we placed pieces in the kitchen oven and baked at ~200 degrees for several hours (time enough that we felt the internal temp had risen) this of course will really dry the spokes out, probably not so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Ever think of using liquid Nitrogen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

I know when my folks had termites in some bookshelves in the house they were sitting in Hawaii, they took the bookshelves to a locker plant and kept it there for a week. Killed all the termites! "Froze them out!"
I once was drying an oak burl for a project and after a few months all these bugs started coming out of it--AUGH!! Those puppies are in the wood when you cut it down.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration