That Old Car Smell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: That Old Car Smell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Being a mechanic for over 25 years I grown to hate the smell of gasoline, it turns my stomach and the smell of gear oil, that goes without saying but there's something about opening the garage after its been closed and smelling that old car in there that I have dismantled, I love the smell of it! Sounds strange,maybe its just me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

I love the stench of ancient gear oil and grease in my garage. It's even better when the garage gets warm in the sun. I still like small amounts of gas vapor, but I can't seem to take as much as I used too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Oh that smell...

By Golly... the worst is those potpourri shops that happen on T tours, where the spouses go to get candles and such! :-(

Can't stand those smells in those shops......

Give me Gas, Rubber, and Oil smells any day :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

All those fakey potpourri/"pretty" smelling things are worse to me than opening a bag
of buttholes. (insert puking icon here .... YECH !!!!)

Gear oil is stinky and diesel is pretty noxious, but gas and oil and the musty smell of
Grandpa's shop are as wonderful as sage and pine on the evening breeze.

I am a real smell guy and love the smells of the desert. Dust, the heat on things like
wood and rocks and metal all have their own subtle, but wonderful smells. Grass, hay,
... Russian Olive has a wonderful smell, even rain has a delightful and refreshing smell
out here, unlike on the coast, where it just adds to the perpetually molding smell of decaying
leaves and moss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Amen Dave, ancient gear oil and grease! Perfect

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

I like the smell of a old garage. My garage has a little of that smell but not like the old garages. My grandfather's old garage smelled like a 49 ford that had been in it since the mid fifties. The car, shop and grandfather are all gone but I still smell it!!Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Burger - You missed one! And judging by your profile photo, I know you'll agree with this:

Not Model T I realize, but to me (a 4th generation railroader) there's nothing quite like the "blend" of coal smoke, hot steam and hot steam cylinder oil! Ahhh,......purfume for sure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

My 17 year old grandson loves to hunt and shoot. He says the girl he marries will need to wear gunpowder scented perfume. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

"Not Model T I realize, but to me (a 4th generation railroader) there's nothing quite like the "blend" of coal smoke, hot steam and hot steam cylinder oil! Ahhh,......purfume for sure!" A big for sure on that one!!! Love that smell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Harold, You bet!! Best smell in the world, I even like the smell of Bunker C burning with cylinder oil mixed in!
Henry, Hmm, you reminded me of the lady I was talking to one day, told me; "I miss my Ex, BUT! My aim is improving!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

An Older Garage on a hot day with your T or A sitting inside is almost better than Turkey.

Great Post. Someone is sensitive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

I am lucky. I have been in my shop close to 35 years. It is old and well used. When we have been gone for a few days and I get back home and open the shop. It now has the smell of the old ancient shops of my grandpa, and my other mentors. The smell of an old shop is something you never forget. One of my mentors was a machinest and my machine shop finally has the smell of his old shop. The old oil, grease, and even the old "Tap Magic" is the "smell of heaven" It is strange, but it actually is therapeutic to go into the shop and just "sit". I had thought about building me a new shop, but one day I realized all the work, raising of the kids and now the grandkids in the shop, as well as their friends. The memories, all the paint and oil stains on the floor and even the "smells" can not be replaced. So me and the old shop are destined to finish out our lives together... No new shop for me ... :-) :-) Just call me a "sentimental old fool" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

I understand you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:15 am:

Yes, the smell of a coal or wood fired locomotive are like nothing else.

How about what I call "railroad perfume" ? ..... the smell of creosoted ties or
telephone poles simmering in the sun ?

I grew up in Western Washington and often hunted and fished over here in the
desert where I live now. I came to love the subtle smells of the desert and things
like sun heated rusty old metal like car bodies we encountered, rolled down into
ravines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 07:31 am:

Sitting in an old original car with the musty smell of old carpet, upholstery and a touch of gasoline and oil is pretty wonderful to me.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 07:43 am:

I took my family out to see the USS New York (being a retired Sailor sometimes they let you do that and on the way out I stopped by one of my old squadron's and the smell of the hangar bay instantly brought a flood of memories.... I never realized how much I missed that smell of hydraulic fluid and JP5 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Richard, I agree. My wife, not so much. Our Model A Tudor is named "Bella"...my wife calls her "Smella-Bella" as she doesn't like the wonderful vintage aroma still present in that wonderful car. Kinda funny, when we take the dog for a ride in it the wife hangs HER head out the window for fresh air, the dog just sits in the back seat happy as clam watching out those big back windows. Gotta love it! Don't have that aromatic pleasure in all the open T's. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Several years ago I had a post on the SMELL of a Model T. No one ever responded so I thought everyone thought I was perverted?? But those old T's have perfume of their own. Happy to see this discussion!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

I LOVE the smell of burnt jet fuel in the morning.
And any REAL man's aftershave is always WD40.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

A little dribble of Marvel Mystery Oil on the wife's stupid "potpourri" (when she isn't looking) is a nice touch too, you know, for a bit of that "wintergreen" fragrance"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Been on many, many mothballed & open to the public naval ships. Mostly subs but destroyers, battle ships & others are fine too. I imagine it's the oils & preservatives used but I'll inhale a good whiff on board and wifey says: "Here he goes again"! Can't get enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Must be a ‘testosterone’ thing ??

Maybe we can bottle it ?

Tfume

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

I just have to chime in here! When I was a young child (50+ years ago) I had the pleasure of being 'exposed' to the old car smells. My father's Model T was kept in my grandparents garage in Conneaut, OH. It was only partially assembled at the time but, I spent a lot of time monkeying with it, thinking I was 'helping' Dad. That garage always had that neat scent to it! Now, the car is in my garage, there is that very same scent!
The other absolute favorite memory is, my other grandfather's garage in West Springfield, PA. He was quite the Franklin fan! Pun intended (air cooled motors) He always referred to them as his "Frankies" He bought and sold used Franklin parts for quite a number of years. His garage was the proverbial 'old school' with heavy wood planking for floors. It was larger than the house! Had to be, at the time of his death in 1974, he owned no less than seven Franklins with at least enough parts to build a couple more! I can honestly say, his garage had a scent I will never forget!
I often wondered if there's anyone out there who might have known Herman Hagerty, his place was located at the Rt 5 and Rt 20 split in PA. In my mind I can still see the 'Franklin Auto Parts' sign at the roads edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

OT-OT: Wife and I got into a discussion on puppy breath. Very unique smell when pups are on momma’s milk. There is just a thing as “puppy breath candles”. Maybe we can get “T Candles”??

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8 &ved=0ahUKEwjzuK7K3uTNAhVm9IMKHf5jA94QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com %2Fpin%2F6755468165053254%2F&psig=AFQjCNEZDMCxNokI1wjCedz-7BLY-onXqA&ust=1468097 250031489

I would just rather own the real T thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Ewww! Puppy Breath? Now that I've actually typed that....
My daughters love the smell of my garage! They also love the smell of someone AFTER riding an old snowmobile (cold fresh air and two cycle exhaust). My son and I don't acknowledge it much as there's more where that came from. But he and I like it. :-) Smells like memories and (old) motorsports.
My 63 year old motor grader smells like oil in the cab (hyd. oil tank is under the left seat) UNTIL I start the engine...
Why does that old Diesel engine smell 100 times better than a modern Diesel engine? They reek.
Drift: The music from that two stack motor grader engine on my hill is something to behold. WAIT! So is every machine that is pushed up it. The crappy little T? Heaven.
Potpourri and perfumes give me headaches bad, much like 80-90. Yuck. Most everything else? Mmmmmm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holger T. Berthelsen on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 10:24 am:

I was on a tour a few years ago and one member had an original T.We pulled into town for breakfast and parked on Main Street by the cafe.One old timer looked at all the T's but as he walked past the original one with hot oil ,warm bands,and gurgling radiator I heard him say"that one even smells like a T model". That made my day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration