Ring and pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ring and pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Hi, I have a new ring gear with 40 teeth. and I have a ruxtell and a rocky mountain over and under drive line tranny. I live at the base of an 8500 foot mountain range and have flat lands below me. So with both of my units I should have plenty of gears. I think I want 3.33 gears in the rear axle. Will a 12 tooth pinion gear fit my 40 tooth crown gear? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

I think you need a special 40 tooth ring gear that is recessed on the rear side for the 12 and 13 tooth pinions. Ruckstell had such gears back in the day, but nowadays they're reproduced by Chaffins:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/547933.html?1434348904

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

So is it the same problem with a 39 tooth ring gear?
I can recess the ring gear if thats the only problem. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

I did read the message Roger posted. Good info. Can anyone tell me the depth of the recess on the 40 tooth gear? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Scott
I plan to try this so I'm quite interested in what you learn. One thought I've had is to "play" with the thrust washer thicknesses if I need to. It may ultimately mean "tweaking " the axle lengths, but as I usually end up making my own axle shafts, then not a big problem. Machining the back side of the crown gear might be a problem as I suspect it may be case hardened. Anyway all the best and please let us know what you learn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Les, I cut case hardened parts all the time. You need a stout lathe and tooling and there is a trick as to cutting hard parts. Its in the way you sharpen your insert.
I just need to know the depth of the recess. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

Scott
Care to share?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

The only 40 tooth ring gear I have is a Ruckstell one, setting the depth gauge on my mill, it has .267" recess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:28 am:

Thanks Frank, Thats the number I needed. Iam still washing up parts on this project but will post when its done, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:17 am:

Scott, I have a 39 tooth ring gear mated to a 12 tooth pinion to give a 3.25:1 ratio. I had no problems setting up this combination in my Ruckstell. As Les says, I did have to play with the thrust washer thicknesses, but i always do that as a matter of course. If you machine them to different thicknesses it gives you more to play with.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration