FJ- If you use brake cleaner in a spray can - you need to read this !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FJ- If you use brake cleaner in a spray can - you need to read this !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Probably all of us have used brake cleaner from a spray can.

The difference between " chlorinated " & non-chlorinated can save your life.

I usually buy chlorinated - you seem to get a little more.

Never gave it much thought.

Then I read this:

@ http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

Freighter Jim

(Message edited by enclosed_ford_transport on June 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

My personal belief is that ANYTHING that has an aroma of any kind should be avoided....

and that includes a lot of chemicals folks use on their lawns and in their gardens.

Those compounds are used to kill - and they are not very good at discriminating targets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Wow. That's terrible. I didn't know any of that b but I need tell my d a d he is always doing something with brake cleaner. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Phosgene gas was used in WWI by the Germans. Normally you don't weld on brake parts but it looks like this chlorinated brake cleaner can be really dangerous stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Reading the article link - the guy normally used carb cleaner but was out = so he used the brake cleaner.

There is no known antidote - so if this possibly happens to you ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Fifteen years past I took a trip to intensive care after driving home from Portland with a small drip from my heater core with heat and defrosters going. Ten miles from home I knew some thing was wrong I opened the windows and just made it home.

I could barely walk and could not dial a phone
Just then my daughter came home her boy friend and she got me to the hospital. intensive care would not come out the kids got me into a receiving. The lady asked me to come to the counter---I told her I could not get up! After ten minuets they got me on a gurney into I C able to talk to a good doctor.
I explained what happened and said it had to be antifreeze mist inhaling as my truck was driven to Portland early that day with no leaks and no health issues.
The doctor told me antifreeze is dangerous from a cut or ingestion not breathing mist. I argued with that logic he called poison control TWICE they agreed with the doctor. After five hours on oxygen I could walk again.
The next day I picked up a gallon of antifreeze stating not to breath the fumes. Took it to the hospital to show the doctor. I explained to admitting what happened-----they did not even toon up poison control as far as I know.
heater core repair can cost several hundred dollars on late cars---I wonder how many are driven with that issue with limited funds.
I have never been that disabled and sick in my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Dave.
I will take your advice and stay away from some people. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Good idea Fred! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Freon in a cars air conditioner if the car catches fire and the lines breach, you will get a poison gas to.
And the pool chemicals and water treatment chemicals, same situation, a fire and the fumes are deadly.
I can understand what the guy did, I am guilty myself of using brake clean for stuff it aint made for.
I remember reading a similar if not the same story a few years ago.
I remember getting a wif of something back in 04 or 03 that really sent me for a loop. coulda been this stuff.

It pays to be careful.
We all clean wheel bearings and such. Cleaning them in varsol or brake clean. Then blow them out with the air nozzle. Always thought it was fun to spin them with the air. Till I had a bearing fly apart and pieces stuck in my stomach and left marks.Now I don't spin them so fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

I've been told that "air spinning" the bearings actually can cause damage to the bearing. Was a big no-no in college auto shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

This article is really making the rounds today.
Just a half hour ago I posted this at SmokStak:

I buy it at my local old fashioned service station.
One day the owner asked if I wanted chlorinated or non-chlorinated which is a buck cheaper so I tried it.
Next time I went for more he asked how I liked it.
I told him I like it better.......works as well and seems to go farther.
He said some guys didn't care for it.........for the life of me I can't figure out how they could tell a difference except that their heads are programmed for chlorinated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Craig

That was me that started the thread on the Stack.

This is so important & timely - even though it first made the rounds in 2009.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:00 am:

Thanks for the heads up.
Reminds me when I was a Kid working in a Machine Shop cleaning parts in the Varsol tank.
On very hot days I would bend over the tank and soak my arms because it was so cool in temperature.
Little did I know , I was poisoning myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:04 am:

I find myself feeling nauseated when walking down the soaps aisle in grocery stores, and
those nasty-ass bed-bath and potpourri shops make me ill. Many colognes and perfumes
are also sickening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:47 am:

Yes, there is an affliction called "Long Term Solvent Exposure Disorder. I spent 25 years restoring cars as a job, with lots of time over the cleaning tank full of Stoddard Solvent. I blame the gaps in my memory to the exposure. And then there are words I know, but can't remember.
And NO!! I'm not ancient enough for that to be the reason! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 03:18 am:

Chlorinated compounds such as refrigerants and Brakleen will form phosgene gas when combusted. I think the old name for it was mustard gas. Deadly stuff. You can't get that kind of Brakleen anymore around here and I miss it, it was far more effective than the flammable petroleum solvent based product we use now. That said, I will likely live longer without it. We used to use it for everything that was dirty or oily. Even tough spots on our hands. Not good, thinking back now. Remember carbon tetrachloride? Wonderful, useful stuff, as long as you were not exposed to it. I hope I learned early enough to limit my exposure to chemicals like that. It seems like the more effective and useful a product is, the more risky it is to use it. Be careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 07:54 am:

Good info, thanks Jim. I actually thought most Chlorinated products have been discontinued but apparently not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 08:02 am:

Last time I bought carb cleaner you could buy either the chorlinated or non-chorlinated version. This wasn't that long ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Erik
Phosgene and Mustard gas are not related they are completely different things. Phosgene is still used commercially to fumigate grain to control weevil and other pests.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:26 am:

We typically use starter fluid if we need to spray clean something like that. If we're using brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner, we're using them one brakes and carburetors, respectively. Starter fluid rapidly dissipates and leaves almost no residue. Works great as a wax and grease remover before painting too. The only problem is it's almost impossible to buy it by the case anymore, and we use a lot of it in the course of a month. Darn meth heads are making life difficult for the rest of us. Maybe they should switch to brake cleaner?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Gustaf, thanks for the education. I am going to have to go back to my college automotive A/C instructor and call him on the error.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration