Ethanol percentage to increase in gasoline

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ethanol percentage to increase in gasoline
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Received an email from BoatUS today concerning ethanol content in gasoline. Percentages are set to increase unless action is taken. Currently E10 can be used without much problem in most engines, however E15 is only approved for certain late model engines. It is not approved for most vehicles, and is not approved and actually illegal to use it in any marine engine, snowmobile, motorcycle, small engine such as a lawn mower, or any pre-2001 vehicle. More info as well as a form letter to sent to your representative is available at the link below. The text of the letter can be edited and changed to suit your concerns.

http://www.capwiz.com/boatus/issues/alert/?alertid=72776626&type=CU

Now we all know, (at least according to The History Channel,) that Henry Ford actually designed the Model T to use 100% ethanol, so we are OK, but I also own several other old cars, trucks, and boats, and I may have a hard time finding E-zero gasoline for them if we don't put a stop to this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Since my boat doesn't use gasoline, I modified the text to include Vintage Vehicles and small engines, and noted that engine fires have resulted from the damage higher-ethanol fuels cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

Fortunately at this time ethanol has vanished from gasoline here with crude in the $50.00 range. The ethanol costs more than the gasoline to produce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:02 am:

Les down here we don't have that much common sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:12 am:

Does your vehicle run better in anyway with high octane Gasoline? 91.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:27 am:

Mike.
Sounds like your end of the world is getting short changed! if high octane is 91
Our regular is 91 and E10 95 and prim 98

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 08:53 am:

>>>...Henry Ford actually designed the Model T to use 100% ethanol, so we are OK, but I also own several other old cars, trucks, and boats, and I may have a hard time finding E-zero gasoline for them if we don't put a stop to this.<<<

Netflix has an interesting documentary called "Pump" and there's a guy at the end of the movie who claims all cars manufactured in the US after 1996 are flex fuel cars. All it takes to make the change is finding the drop down menu in the software and selecting "flex." I've talked to some local mechanics about the possibility of hacking my Toyota but they don't want to discuss it. I suspect making the change is a criminal act written by the fossil fuel industry and legislated by their lackeys in congress.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on June 29, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Not only is BoatUS just getting on board, the American Motorcycle Association has been on top of this for some time. I think a year or more. I have responded to AMA requests to contact your local politicians. see https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/ We are no alone in this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

@ Frank van Ekereren..
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. We have more than enough oil here.
Shell Oil is the last bastion to get ethanol free 91 Gas.
5 years ago Esso offered pump 93 octane. That is gone now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

@ Frank van Ekereren..
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. We have more than enough oil here.
Shell Oil is the last bastion to get ethanol free 91 Gas.
5 years ago Esso offered pump 93 octane. That is gone now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:29 am:

Jesse, you left out part of my quote, "(according to the History Channel.)" Henry Ford did NOT repeat NOT design the Model T to use ethanol although he did show some interest in it. The myth that the T was designed to use ethanol continues to be spread by "historians" who do not do in depth research but rather repeat poor research by others.

All cars made after 1996 are NOT flex fuel either. You can't just select flex in a drop down menu. Flex fuel vehicles have an array of sensors that detect the kind of fuel and the percentages of the mix and adjust several parameters automatically, as well as many other specific modifications as well as special hoses, fittings, seals, etc. to stand up to the different fuels. Non-flex vehicles can not be made into flex vehicles. This is why marine, snowmobile, lawnmower, motorcycle, and older cars can not use ethanol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 06:29 am:

John. Boat us has been fighting the ethanol battle for years. They have been running test on its effects on fiberglass tanks,carbs and fuel systems. If it wasn't for BoatUS we would have burning that garbage in our boats a long time ago.
Rick Moore
TowBoatUS Pickwick Lake TN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

>>>The myth that the T was designed to use ethanol continues to be spread by "historians" who do not do in depth research but rather repeat poor research by others...<<<

OK, what's your source?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration