Hood Cowling fit?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hood Cowling fit?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen banks on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 11:40 am:

My 23's cowling does not seem to fit right. I got it to finally fit front to rear but now the back of it leaves about an inch gap at the bottom while the bottom front fits like a glove. The top rear seems to be seated right. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Allen

From the pictures I'd tell you to lift the radiator a bit and split the difference, but then take that back as the rear hood edge already looks vertical and not leaning..

Hard to say but by any chance is your body a 23/24 (high hood) rather than a 22/23 (low hood) arrangement? Then you have a low radiator and low hood? Fitting good at the front and lifted an inch or so in the rear might be what that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

The frame is bent. They tend to sag right at the rear motor mount which is right at the firewall. Run a string line under the frame rail between the front and rear cross members (clamp a block of wood to the front and rear cross members so you can get the string line low enough to clear any obstructions). Make sure the string line is equidistant from the top of the frame at the cross members. Then measure from the top of the frame at the pan ears to the string line. I bet it's off around 1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I think George has it. A high cowl with a low hood and low radiator mismatch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/348971.html?1365995760

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

There is more strange here than meets the eye!!?? Notice the vents in the side of the hood panel. THEY ARE NOT STRAIGHT! They also appear to be too close together. So, something about that hood is strange. Maybe it is a mix of high and low? Maybe the frame is bent? Maybe a lot of things. Maybe only the hood is a bad modification/reproduction?
Going to take a step back. Close look at several things. and maybe a lot more better pictures or a close personal inspection by someone that really knows these things.
In a rush, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

I don't see a pocket for the hood latch either. Maybe its a hood for another car? The louvers don't appear to be equal in length or spacing. The hinge sections aren't equal either.

I think its time to measure and compare to a correct hood.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration