Speedster high gear issues

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster high gear issues
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jayson Streeter on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

I have a 23 speedster that runs great in low gear. However, when I let out the clutch for high gear the engine wants to die. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

First thought - You may have 3:1 gears in your differential. You might try running in low to a little higher RPM prior to going to high. Be sure to close the throttle some as you let the pedal up. This may help the engine during the transition, so it doesn't stall. Again, just my initial thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Jayson,

Do you mean it bogs down? Stops firing? Coughs and sputters? Or?

How fast would you say you get it going in low gear before you upshift?

My initial guess is that you've got a misfire that you're not noticing in low since the engine is pinning so fast anyway. But, in high, the engine is turning way slower and depends on every cylinder firing the way it should. If even one cylinder isn't contributing it will buck & cough.

Also, tell us what kind of ignition you have. Distributor? Coils? Magneto? ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

That's "spinning so fast", not "pinning so fast". Duh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jayson Streeter on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

The engine runs great in low gear with all cylinders firing. Then when I shift into high at about 20mph or so it seems like I've lost all power. It doesn't spit, but just starts to die. I have coils but am also running 12 volt with an alternator. Could this be the clutch adjustment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Jayson - I'm guessing that maybe you really don't have a problem. There's no question that Model "T's, with only "low" and "high" and no gear in between was really not the best design. Even Henry Ford new and admitted it, as it is a known fact that the ONLY non-Ford accessory he actually approved of was the Ruckstell two-speed rear end. And that's because he knew that an "intermediate" gear was needed.

I think any experienced "T" driver will say that it's not unusual for a "T" engine to "stumble" a bit once in awhile between shifts, and it's usually due to not quite enough speed (RPM) reached in "low" before shifting. And higher than stock gears in the rear end would make that tendency even worse,.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Fuel...

1- Open the carb another 1/4 turn CCW and try again...

2- Have more than 2" of fuel in the tank...

3- If you have a fuel filter, bypass it...

4- If you have an air filter take it off...

If any combi of the 4 don't do it, then drain the fuel, remove the fuel bowl spud face and look at the screen...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jayson Streeter on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Thank you gentlemen. I will try your suggestions and respond later tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Jayson,

For my speedster it's typically fuel starvation, which is not a problem unless the fuel tank is pressurized because of road vibration, warm temperatures, and/or going up a very steep hill.

For the first two issues, I do as George suggests and loosen the gas cap about 1/4 turn. For the last, I think of ways I should raise the tank next time it's off the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Jayson,

I don't think you have a clutch problem.

I like George's suggestion to open the carburetor needle valve another 1/4 turn. Sounds like you're running too lean maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Is there a wire rubbing against or shorting against the peddle when in high?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

We had a similar problem on our speedster, where it ran great in low, then as soon as you went to high gear it lost all power and coughed and spluttered until you pushed through and got the Rpms up a bit, then it was better.

What we did to fix it was to change the spark plugs to ones with a stronger spark, the exact model of them are NGK BP2ES, and once they were fitted it pulled like a train. Just my experience in a case like this.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration