Speedster Goggles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster Goggles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

What are you using and what are your favorites...

goggles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Bought these at a toy shop, waiting to take a ride in someone's speedster, so I'm prepared!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

http://www.uswings.com/product/barnstormer-combo/

Hope this works. I like these goggles, and get a leather cap as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

As long as Dave H. just introduced a suggestion involving aviation "equipment" which would no doubt an excellent source for a good pair of goggles that would certainly serve the purpose of a speedster driver, I had an idea that might (or might not) make sense, and believe it or not, it involves very old railroad "equipment":

I have an antique pair of goggles that I believe would work well for speedster use. They are at least 70 years old and they are all metal. (And, quite comfortable I might add) They were official railroad issue for railroad engineers during the "steam locomotive" era. I have to believe that these goggles were no doubt of excellent quality and durability and were the best suited design the railroad could find at that time. Railroad engineers had a great need for some means of protecting their eyes while leaning out of the cab window of a coal-fired steam locomotive that constantly spewed hot cinders out of the stack with the exhaust. What I particularly like about these goggles is the all-metal design with the side shields actually being constructed of very, very fine screen. This I am sure was to provide adequate ventilation to avoid the problem of the goggles "fogging up" from a combination of perspiration, body heat, and varying conditions of heat and steam in the cab of steam locomotive.

All of this to say that there is a huge number of railroad "buffs" and steam "enthusiasts" who are actively involved in the running of an ever-growing number of restored railroad steam engines in this country nowadays, and I am sure that they need "goggles" just as much nowadays as were needed back in the railroad "steam era". Now then, if a person could just find out where and how todays railroad guys obtain such goggles,.......???

Sorry I cannot post a photo of the goggles, but they are in my Dad's shop (now mine) about a hundred miles from here. And altho' I hate to admit this, I don't know how to post pictures anyway! Not sure if this RR steam engine restoration hobby thing might lead to a source for good goggles, but, just a thought,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

As long as Dave H. just introduced a suggestion involving aviation "equipment" which would no doubt an excellent source for a good pair of goggles that would certainly serve the purpose of a speedster driver, I had an idea that might (or might not) make sense, and believe it or not, it involves very old railroad "equipment":

I have an antique pair of goggles that I believe would work well for speedster use. They are at least 70 years old and they are all metal. (And, quite comfortable I might add) They were official railroad issue for railroad engineers during the "steam locomotive" era. I have to believe that these goggles were no doubt of excellent quality and durability and were the best suited design the railroad could find at that time. Railroad engineers had a great need for some means of protecting their eyes while leaning out of the cab window of a coal-fired steam locomotive that constantly spewed hot cinders out of the stack with the exhaust. What I particularly like about these goggles is the all-metal design with the side shields actually being constructed of very, very fine screen. This I am sure was to provide adequate ventilation to avoid the problem of the goggles "fogging up" from a combination of perspiration, body heat, and varying conditions of heat and steam in the cab of steam locomotive.

All of this to say that there is a huge number of railroad "buffs" and steam "enthusiasts" who are actively involved in the running of an ever-growing number of restored railroad steam engines in this country nowadays, and I am sure that they need "goggles" just as much nowadays as were needed back in the railroad "steam era". Now then, if a person could just find out where and how todays railroad guys obtain such goggles,.......???

Sorry I cannot post a photo of the goggles, but they are in my Dad's shop (now mine) about a hundred miles from here. And altho' I hate to admit this, I don't know how to post pictures anyway! Not sure if this RR steam engine restoration hobby thing might lead to a source for good goggles, but, just a thought,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

You know, I have finally figured out my "double post" problem, and obviously have to work on solving the problem. I write something, give it a quick "look-over" to check for "typos", etc, and then post it. Then, I sometimes proof-read it more carefully, and after that, can't remember if I posted it or not. So, because of being in doubt, I post it "AGAIN"! Stupid ! ....sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

look up Greek fishermans hat. Very period.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Go to your Harley Davidson Dealer and get some goggles much like the ones Dave showed us above. The Harley store sells some for about$50 and they allow you to wear your glasses under them.

The inexpensive unlined leather helmets allow the wind to whistle so loud in your ears that you can;t hear at speeds over 40 m.p.h.

In the picture below you can see that I wear a leather lined and padded helmet with a bill to shade my eyes. You can also see the goggles that allow glasses under them. Good leather helmets can cost $150 or more. The period gauntlet gloves cost another $150.

Here is the full picture with Howard Genrich and I on the race track doing 70.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Beautiful color no. 22!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

70 mph!!!!?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

What have you got under the hood...please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 02:26 am:

Flat head T, Full race flat head V8 Ford cam grind on a Model A cam, T crank, Stromberg 97 carburetor, headers, special trick intake manifold, Layne Warford transmission, six forward speeds,Three to one gears, and Bosch ignition. Pruss 8 to 1 cylinder head, and some stuff done here and there. We shift into overdrive at 64 miles an hour and accelerate. It didn't sell at auction and stopped at $9600. I have over twice that in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:44 am:

This is my idea for the perfect navigator!Pink!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 08:25 am:

Dad's aviation goggles wore out so I made new ones.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/607453.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Harold, are these the goggles you are talking about? I always thought these were welding glasses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

Val - Don't have the goggle here to be sure, but yes,....those look very similar, if not exactly what I was talking about. Not sure about the wire ear pieces, but the fine screen type side shields are exactly the same,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

Thanks Harold. I was going to put safety glass in them and use them as an extra pair of goggles for the passenger but held off because I wasn't sure exactly what they were for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Great photos, everyone.

The goggles I posted at the beginning of this thread are not available anymore... they are super comfy. I also have a traditional pair and find them most uncomfortable after a long drive (despite repeated adjustments).

goggles two

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Wendell & Val - WOW! What a great picture! And now that I see this picture Wendell, I believe that those goggles are exactly like the ones I was describing. The wire ear pieces on the ones in your photo Val, did not look quite the same as mine. But now that I see your picture Wendell, I remember some of those same details on my goggles, which as I previously mentioned are in my shop that is about a hundred miles from here. I'm sure mine have the same type ear pieces and I now recall that they will swivel 180 deg. like yours, and I also now remember the little leather piece that would rest on the bridge of the nose.

So what does anybody think,.....wouldn't they be great for use with a speedster? Merely conjecture on my part, as I have no speedster, but I would think that the "ventilated" screen type side shields would be a real "plus" for extensive wear by greatly reducing the chance of lenses "fogging up",....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Hmmm,.....re-reading Wendell,.....I guess you did say that they were uncomfortable after a long drive,......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Oh wait, you said it was the "traditional" pair that are uncomfortable! (....sorry,.....only had one cuppa' coffee this morning.....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

Yup, they fit great and never fog up, but over time the pressure points begin to dig into ones noodle (behind the ears, over the nose, and on the cheeks).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

These are very comfy. I will continue my intertoob search with hopes of finding a second pair for my passenger.

me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Great pair of bullet proof glasses.

may not be suitable for driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Alan, your glasses could withstand a June bug at 50 MPH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

I did not know the bastards could fly that fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

... speedy little buggers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Yeah, They can! And when you're traveling at 50 or 60....
the combined speed is.... Just ask any ole' Harley rider! Or I'll tell you, it's like getting hit with a small rock from a big slingshot! What I don't get, is people I see driving with the windshield folded down, or cyclists with no eye protection at all! And yes, it is a ticketable offense!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

David, for that I've never let my dogs enjoy the breeze unless we're driving around town... heads in on the highway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Wendell, Yes you made a very GOOD point! I makes me wonder of the stupidity of the dog owner. I would think there should be a citation for that as well!
Who knows, maybe there is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Choosing, finding and purchasing the right pair of goggles is a bigger pain in the neck than might be expected. _Going into the endeavor, you need to ask yourself a number of questions for the purpose of categorizing what it is you're actually after.

Are these goggles just for show?

I recently bought a pair of fabulously cheap goggles as a hat decoration. _Not intended to be functional as eye protection, they serve the function of a costume accessory. _Back in the days of early airplanes and automobiles, goggles came in a few different shapes, but generally conformed to the 2-cup configuration. _Circular was one of the available cup-shapes, so these costume goggles fit the bill, at least for the purpose of spectators and funny hats.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1577

Do you wear corrective lenses?

If you wear contacts, that simplifies your choices considerably, but if you wear eyeglasses, form is definitely going to follow function and you need something that can be worn over a pair of glasses. _That usually involves a compromise with historical correctness because most of these don't have two-cups, but a single expanse of transparency across both eyes and that's about as wrong looking as you can get. _Not all goggles advertised as being the type that can be worn over eyeglasses can actually do that. _This depends mostly on the size and shape of your eyeglasses, which means buying them online becomes an iffy proposition. _You really need to try them on before committing to a purchase. _That's less of a consideration if the supplier has a dependably liberal return policy. _If you don't mind spending the money, you can have an optician grind you up a set of prescription lenses and fit them to your 2-cup goggles (assuming the lenses are replaceable). _The problem with that arrangement is you'll have to first remove your eyeglasses before pulling prescription goggles down over your eyes. _Here's a source for prescription goggles:

http://rallymotorcycleeyewear.com/pd-vg2-rx-prescription-frame.cfm

And here are some examples of "over eyeglasses" goggles:

http://www.bikershades.com/fit-overs/

Does cost matter?

If you're ridiculously wealthy, you can have your butler go out and find you a suitable set of goggles and keep sending him back till he gets it right. _For the rest of us, bucks matter. _Because my Model T isn't a speedster and has a functional windshield, I only need goggles in the infrequent event I get caught in the rain. _So far, that has only happened once, but when it did, I was a fair distance from home and it was really coming down. _Besides putting the top up, that also meant folding the windshield down and strapping on goggles. _Now, when it comes to a car that doesn't do much over 30 mph, there isn't a whole lot of stress and strain on a pair of goggles and in my case, a pair of cheap, non-fogging carpenter's goggles filled the bill just fine. _You can buy a set here for a ridiculously small price and oddly enough, a few of them a actually have a nice "historical" appearance.

https://www.northernsafety.com/Search?i=1;q1=Safety+Products;q2=Eye+Protection;q3=Safety+Goggles;rank=RANK;sp_cg=1527099;sp_pr=v2;x1=category-1;x2=category-2;x3=category-3

Ski goggles work well, too, but as they're in more or less the same price range as motorcycle goggles, you may as well get the type made for the road.

How historically correct to you need your goggles to be?

Though bulb-horns are far more correct for a Brass-Era car than a hand-Klaxon, I nevertheless have the ahoogha horn because that's what the public expects (and enjoys the heck out of). _For purists, this is heresy. _So okay, you can spend some fairly big bucks on actual 100-year-old goggles that may or may not be safe to use while driving, or you can go with a recently manufactured product that approximates their appearance. _Your call. _The real stuff is easy enough to find on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2141725.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XWWI+goggles.TRS0&_nkw=WWI+goggles&_sacat=0

And here are some photos of a few rather famous automotive personalities wearing vintage, goggles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 08:26 am:

Thanks, Bob. I didn't thing to check eBay...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:27 am:

I just ordered mine from Ebay...after a 65 mile cruise on dirt roads in 95 degree temperatures with the wind screen down to keep cool...my eyes were wind burnt. I need a good pair to wear.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191906885145

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:32 am:

I bought the better pair.

BROWN LEATHER HALCYON MARK MK 8 BATTLE OF BRITAIN FLYING GOGGLES

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:12 am:

The British Halcyon goggles do look extremely cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

After some internet sleuthing, I found that my original goggles are no longer made :-(

They were hand stitched in Hungary. They're so comfortable you forget you're wearing them.

Here's a pair that aren't period, but look comfy as well...

http://tinyurl.com/z3c2jr2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

I kinda like these.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Very stylish Bob, but it looks like you're fogging a bit :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:21 am:

So, I purchased a pair of Garny Leatherspex #4.

Not period, but very comfortable. They block 99% of the wind allowing just enough air to prevent fogging... hand tooled leather and form the shape of your head.

googles1

goggles2

goggles3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

Any suggestion for goggles over glasses

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Did you notice that in the old days that they wore the goggles on their forehead, how does that help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

They were wearing them on their forehead because they were posing for a photo. Also, you don't need the goggles over your eyes when the motor is off and you aren't going anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:12 am:

I have a pair that look very much like Val's and Wendell's except in green lense.
Mom said they're combining goggles. WAY before cabs, heat and air on the combines.....
Those Leatherspex's look really comfy!
I gotta admit, I only recognize Eddie in those old pics. :-/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration