Now I know why

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Now I know why
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Now I know why Henri (oops, by French slipped out - Henry) painted everything black!

Some of my oil cups will empty after several miles and others will take 50 or more... would it be ok to add a more viscous oil to the fast "draining" cups like differential oil?

black

(Message edited by windy on June 30, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Not sure if it's "ok" or not, but some guys (including me) use chain saw bar oil for some lube points, especially for spindle bolts, for the reasons you describe. It's "sticky" and seems to run through slower,.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Maybe someone makes red oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Wendell - Boy,....I sure like that speedster! And I love your photos! Do you use an expensive and sophisticated camera? Certainly NOT a cell phone camera, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

The bright colors sure look pretty when they are clean. I have fought that problem with my yellow speedster for nearly 50 years. I have used felt and thicker oils but the black gets though eventually if you drive them. I have used black paint on the cars I have built since. The oil has become attractive to me on my rusty car.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Marvel Mystery Oil is reddish but I have no idea how it might work on those areas! Probably a bit too thin.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Thanks, Richard. I kind of like the oil "mark" left behind after a drive... it shows that the car is being enjoyed. I was more concerned about adding an oil that was too thick and might not make its way where it was needed. I'm overthinking this.

Viscous oil for the fast drainers, and 30 weight for the tight ones (and paper towel wipes ready for a photo shoot).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Harold, I'm using an iPhone 5s and Photoshop Elements 13 to lower the pixels...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

I use old oil.
it is going to drip black anyhow, so why not put that old oil to good use. It may not hold up under high temperatures but at normal temperatures it is still an excellent and cheap lubricant.
I also use it for staining wood, the swing set, eradicating gofers and am thinking of adding a shot in my morning coffee to give me that extra protection from constipation.

DISCLAIMER:
The above advice should be taken as "straight from the horse's mouth" However, from time to time, it may seem like the horse is facing the other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Wendell - After hanging onto my old "flip phone" for probably much too long, I let my Son talk me into getting a "smart phone", which is an iPhone 6s. And I don't know if I'll ever understand all that "stuff". I do know that it sure takes amazingly good photos, but I haven't yet tried any real "close-ups".

About the oil, I think that's how many guys do it,.....just as you said,....sticky stuff for the "fast drainers" and just motor oil for everything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Harold, you can zoom in very close. Just hold the phone steady and tap on the screen where you'd like it to focus and then click... you can also touch the screen after focusing and drag up or down to adjust the exposure... very intuitive to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Thank you Wendell:

My wife and I both just got these new iPhone6s phones, and have much to learn! I showed her your last post and she copied into her,....ahh,.....whatever thingie! You just taught us both a bit more about the camera feature of our new "smart phones"!

Being 75 years old I guess might have an advantage or two, but "tech-savvy" is NOT one of 'em!......(;^).......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Well, if it's not dripping oil, it's out of oil! At least with that smooth shiny paint job, a quick wipe will leave things lookin' good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

I use chain say bar oil in all of mine. Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

There used to be an oil called, "red engine oil". My dad used it in his oil cans. I don't know where he got it. That was about 1940 so maybe it doesn't exist anymore. Anyway, the oil looked red.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 08:11 am:

I used leftover diff oil from my rear end rebuild to refill my oil can. The bottle you get is more than enough to fill the rear end. Roughly the same consistency as chainsaw bar oil, and I knew where to find it. I think the bar oil was in Dad's truck with the chainsaws, but he wasn't home and it was easier to use what I knew I could find!

How often do you guys fill your oil cups? I make a point to at least check them every time I take the car out of the driveway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:55 am:

The Ford chart (Cut No. 18) above, from the owner's manual, doesn't specify when to change oil, but the text (Page 45) recommends every 750 miles. Socony, which wants to sell you their 990, says every 500 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

Kind of the "lather, rinse, repeat" sales strategy, eh Steve? :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Thanks for the information, Steve. I don't drive 100 miles a year, so I guess I'm over-lubing things. :-)

I just check the oil cups and if they're empty I put another squirt from the oil can in. Maybe the heavier oil will stay in there a little longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Thread drift:
Are those cellar steps behind your car?
Wendell do you keep your speedster in the cellar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I use differential lube. It sticks around for a while and does not leak out as fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Yes Herb, that's a cellar bulkhead behind the car in my profile picture. It's much larger than usual, but not wide enough for the T. We keep it in a ProLine aluminum trailer...

trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Wendell - Nice photo! And having read and seen your photos of the boat and the speedster, I have to say, you are a "first class" craftsman for sure!

Not to sound "preachy" here, and I considered sending you a PM to offer to you my "unrequested advice" here, but having retired from 34 years of law enforcement, plus what I have read lately (as well as in the past) on this forum ref "theft", here are my "thoughts" for what it's worth:

I believe there is considerable risk involved with the way you are storing your beautiful speedster. There is at present, and has been for quite some time now, a huge amount of theft of enclosed car hauler trailers and cargo trailers of the type you have. They are commonly stolen mainly for two reasons,....first, merely to "borrow" a trailer for some "low-life" to move his junk from one residence to another. After all,....why "rent" a trailer for "moving" when they're parked all over the place and free for the taking, right? And many times, the dummy low-life does not even realize that the trailer is not empty and contains a vehicle or who knows whatever else.

The second very common reason for theft of these type trailers is for use as a sort of "portable" meth lab. And this problem seems to be growing in frequency. In this case, I don't think the thief particularly cares whether there is anything in the trailer or not, in fact, for the type of use this thief has for the trailer, it would be less trouble for him if it was empty.

In your case Wendell, there is something else to consider, and that is the color. Plain white, like yours, is by far the most common color, and while I think it is only a "slight" deterrent, a trailer of some bright color which is more obvious, would probably be slightly less likely to be stolen.

All of this to say, if you plan to continue storing the speedster in that trailer, you must do everything you can to secure the trailer from "break-in", and (especially), do everything you can to make the trailer difficult to steal! Lock access to your property, lock the trailer hitch, take the wheels off, block the trailer in with other objects, vehicles, buildings, etc, and after all that (and anything else you can think of) consider installing a GPS tracking device of some kind.

Okay, I guess this does sound "preachy", but besides what I've learned about trailer theft on this forum, after 34 years as a railroad cop, I could go on and on about recovery of "borrowed" (stolen) trailers that have been recovered on railroad property.

Again, it might be that my "unsolicited advice" here might better have been conveyed to you in a "PM" instead of this thru' this public forum, however, as long as you put this photograph and how you store your speedster on this public forum, I decided that what I've added wouldn't hurt, and just might even do someone else some good,.....for what it's worth,.........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Great advice, Harold... much to consider. My only saving grace at present is that the hitch is facing the woods and impossible to hook up to (unless it's manually pushed onto the macadam by several burly fellows).

I think I'll remove the hitch for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Ha! Never say NEVER Wendell! I've seen criminals work much harder at "crime and/or evil" than they would ever have to work at a real job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

This should "help" for now... 3/4" cable lock through two of the wheels.

lock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Yup! A huge step in the right direction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

The sad but true part is what Harold said, "criminals will work harder...." If in a secluded area etc, a cutting torch has few limits. I have never been an advocate of any form of violence. But,
fear can be a very powerful motivator to deter crime.We Don't dial 911

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

David, defending is not violence. We have a .410 and have always hoped the sound of if loading a shell would be enough to send someone "packing"...

I hope to never find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Someone a while back said (paint a number on top) shows up real good in a sea of white trailers from the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration