OT - How Do They Know?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - How Do They Know?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Over the past week or 10 days I have shopped online for a gun safe and a certain electric clothes dryer. Also, I purchased a return air filter vent online from a big box store.

A few minutes ago I went online to our local newspaper website to "read the paper". Across the top of the page were pictures of the gun safes I looked at and the dryer I looked at with a "shop now" button under each. Also pictured was an HVAC register, but the wrong one.

Is it time to take a 12 pound sledge hammer to all these electronic gadgets? I fund the whole thing just plain spooky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 12:13 am:

When you are on ANY retail web site, every move of your mouse is tracked.
The item you looked at on one web site will pop up on the next web site.

It's called analytics and is all about data.
Data is the most valuable commodity on the web.
It's how you are targeted to buy anything you looked at on the web.

You have no privacy when you on a web site.
Your actions are analyzed so they can target you to buy more.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:43 am:

Cookies tracking knows what you've been reading. Latest web browsers don't even have the option to turn them off anymore...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:35 am:

Yup. If the adverts bother you clean your cookies and the adverts are then replaced with general ones. Of course the targeted ads are common on many websites so you have to keep clearing them or turn off cookie use in your settings (which could prevent you from using some websites).

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 08:43 am:

And yet I spend a lot of time shopping around the Lang's online catalog, and nobody has been trying to sell me buzz boxes or transmission bands. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Henry, I think you accidently made the most appropriate typo ever when you wrote " I fund the whole thing " !!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Scary, isn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:35 am:

That's terrible. I shudder to think that the NSA is aware of my overspending regarding T parts :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks FL on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Henry,

My son wrote code that watches every step you take . Right up to page opened @ 11:18:27. To first selection made at 11:20:20 to put in cart @ 11:21:01, to returned to shopping @ 11:21:47 to looked at "x" at 11:22:01. To returned to cart @ 11:24:12 to deleted cart @ 11:25:23!

Scary but legal, if you ever take an on line test, he also sold license for the same watcher so they can 'grade' your time per problem, plus report that you checked B then changed it to C and then back to B again and how long the entire ponder took you! The software then tells the test giver where you are strong, where you are weak and also where indecisive. He got two masters in this stuff, but his bachelor was in teaching....so when the test is done, he also generates an individual teaching guide for self study of the test taker...but most test givers doesn't use it.

He is a bit of a Don Quixote, and presently he is writing specific code sequence testing so that people who are advisors on Medicare matters for a certain national company can be constantly monitored and tested on just how good they really are. But no one is any wiser as they are just data mining, and that is apparently quite legal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:38 am:

The most annoying part is that once you purchase they always try to sell you the same item again and again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:48 am:

You can shut off Google analytics on most web sites if you have the time to snoop through your site options. I shut it off on my EarthLink and eBay sites, and it made browsing a lot faster because it is not linking ads to your profile any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

I stay away from google.
Any searching I do is with duckduckgo.com and they dump their info every 48 hours and don't track me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

They even know what underware you have on today.
Also they can figure out the average number of toilet paper your family uses.
Next week they will impose a water restriction on you so you can only flush once during each sitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Fred,
Your last sentence is the most troubling of all. It would serve them right if we all quit using toilets altogether and instead dug a hole and built an outhouse. Let'em keep track of that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Yes. I find it annoying and scary. Not much you can do unless you give up Web surfing. It really pisses me off though. What really amazes me is how many folks really don't care. One of my millennial coworkers says he actually considers it a service and likes them sending him ads for things he might be interested in. I, on the other hand consider it a gross invasion of my privacy and quite frankly couldn't care less if the perpetrators of such stuff were to be hit by a truck and spend a long time somewhere that makes global warming look like the ice age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Henry: They will know about the Outhouse too! Friend was joking with his older neighbor saying to beat the high sewer rates here he was going to dig an outhouse in his backyard. Neighbor call the county to see about getting her one. County called my friend and told him he better not even think about digging an outhouse. They are watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Royce has a good idea there but sometimes blocking googleanalytics also kills the particular website you're trying to access. The only way to really stop tracking is to go work in the garage !

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

You also lose your privacy simply by using a credit card. Years ago, the story goes, a Target executive observed that he that he could tell with great accuracy not only if a female credit card customer was pregnant, but also when she would deliver, by the products she was purchasing. Supposedly the success of the direct mail advertising that sprung from that was the start of all this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

I also use duckduckgo.com to do any searching on the web. I used to have all the problems mentioned here but no more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

This is starting to freak me out. I think I'm going to look into off-grid living now. Not online, since I don't want them to know I'm getting off the government teat. But I'm sure they read this forum, so they're already aware. Guess I'm stuck either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Marc,
You are right. Analytics is the newest big thing in marketing and government. Today, IT dweebs can use link, segmentation, and deviation analytics to determine that many purchasers buy beer whenever they also buy diapers, that only certain income groups are pre-disposed to buy certain automobiles, and that people who cheat on income tax deductions are not the "flagrant" people filing, but rather the people who are 'just pushing the envelope'.
Aren't computers great????
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Google analytics has nothing to do with using the Google search engine. It is adware that can be turned off if you have the computer skills. It is built in to advertising sponsored websites all over the Internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Browser cookies plus Google & Uber have conspired to sell your personal info and habits to anyone who will pay. I call that team "Goober" and selling your personal buying habits is their primary objective fot the next decade until the laws catch up.

Right now they know that I am typing this. Being paranoid does not make it untrue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

That's why when I shop I right click on Firefox select open a new private window select the I do not wish to be tracked option and make sure I log out of any site that I have to log into not just hit the X. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

-Thanks, G.R.!-
I've also been using Firefox, but wasn't aware of the 'New Private Window'... It makes sense to use additional security when online banking or shopping. Henry, I had also questioned 'Where?' the sources of ads and even 'spam mail' was/were coming from. Hope I'm able to 'Unsubscribe', or does that cause its own set of problems? Any help or suggestions??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:15 am:

You c a n erase the browsing history and I have heard your search activities won't pop up.. not sure. Check Google. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:38 am:

'Control-shift-delete' is able to remove cookies and such, but still get the spam mail. Tried to 'unsubscribe' and my Webroot anti-viral interrupted it as malware. Suggestions?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration