What kind of oil should i use

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What kind of oil should i use
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff reissner on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

I know to alot of you this may seem like a really stupid question but what kind of oil is best for the model t motor ? I just bought this car and im ordering all the manuals and books recommended in an earlier post. But i cant wait for those come to start tinkering. Im a railroad mechanic and quite mechanically inclined but i love this car and want to do everything right. Also I know how to check the oil but i havent had much time to look the car over since i picked her up sunday. I feel so stupid asking this but where do i add the oil.(yes my head is hanging in shame)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Jeff, look toward the front of your generator. There'll be a cap that can be lifted off. Put your oil in the hole. I run 10W30 detergent oil. I use whatever is low cost but try to avoid Pennzoil. Just about everyone you talk to will have an opinion when it comes to oil. In the end, you'll find you're best off doing what you think is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Jeff, no need to hang your head. Although this question is about as popular as the plague around here, its great to have new people join the T family. I personally use 10/30 but as Mike has perfectly said, its a personal choice. No matter what you choose to use, change it often depending on the conditions on how you drive it, i usually do mine at 3-400 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 01:06 am:

If you type mtfca: what kind of oil? in Google you'll get enough reading material to keep you busy for hours. For me, what it boils down to is the cheapest 10-30 I can find. Ford recommended an oil change every 500 miles.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on July 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 05:04 am:

You'll probably find a couple of petcocks in the flywheel housing area of the oil pan. You should fill oil until it drips out of the top petcock when opened, and there should always be enough oil in the pan so you have a good flow when opening the lower petcock (when the engine is stopped..)

The dipstick wasn't known by Ford when the Model T was designed, but there were several accessories offered for Fords as time went on - some oil level checking accessories are even reproduced today.

If your car has old original cast iron pistons or a few leaks (as they all have more or less) then you must check oil much more often than with more modern cars. It's best to check every day or like every 100 miles until you know how much oil it loses on the way :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Jeff that is a good looking runabout in your profile picture. Interestingly enough my 1917 runabout was purchased by my dad from the original owner in Hastings, Minnesota in 1951.

In your Minnesota weather environment I would use 5W-30 oil in the summer time. If you decide to drive your T in winter weather you would need a lighter oil such as 0W-20.

If the engine was freshly rebuilt and dry it would take a gallon to fill. Since it has had oil in it already you will find it only takes about three and 3/4 quarts or a little less to refill after draining. When installing the new oil, fill the last 3/4 quart slowly to be sure not to over fill beyond the point where it just starts to drip out the top petcock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 10:13 am:

10W-30 is fine for Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 10:18 am:

I use 5w30 year round in my model A s and T s. Super Tech from Walmart and i change it probably to often. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 10:55 am:

I use 5W30. _That's not because I think it's better for the engine. _I use it because it prevents the car from trying to creep forward when I start it. _The car probably knows better then I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff reissner on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:04 am:

I cant thank you all enough for your help. I really was wondering what the cap on the front of the generator was for. I couldn't imagine why the heck there was a filler cap there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration