Free Start

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Free Start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Once warmed up, is this typical?

https://youtu.be/zkvJ--kCQac

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

The result of a "well tuned engine".

(Message edited by adave on July 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Too cool Wendell!
Got a dizzy on mine so it's get out and crank. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Not unusual at all if you have the right carburetor and everything is set right. What's fun is when you flip the switch, go around in front to crank, and the car starts before you can grab the handle.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on July 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

It is magic. I got 22 in a row in 1967. It's always a surprise and always fun.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Dude! You have bragging rights!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

The grand kids are here for their annual visit. I got the old rusty bare bones chassis out for them to idle around the yard. The darn thing gave me a free start, suprising everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Very cool. I haven't had mine to give free crank yet. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:33 am:

I've done it, and have seen others do it, many times in a row like is shown in the video. It gets harder to do the longer it sits been starts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:23 am:

For a well run in engine it's normal. Very good result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:00 am:

The 1922 Woody, with standard cast iron pistons and new rings give me free starts 75% of the starts. The 1926 touring and the 1926 roadster with high compression pistons are starting very easy even by hand cranking but I need to be very lucky to get a free start. Wondering why??

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:23 am:

The best I've ever done is two in a row.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:41 am:

My '15 will give me free starts time after time on any given day, then the next day she gets a burr up her saddle and won't barely give one. Yesterday I got a free start from Clarabelle my '13 with barely a warm engine, still on the lift just checking things out. Pretty cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Andre, my engine also has high compression pistons in it and starts extremely easy but I've noticed that it rarely stops with the timer brush touching a contact. When I turn the key on I rarely get a buzz. I think that the higher compression keeps the pistons low upon shut down...but then again, I'm still wet behind the ears with my T.

(Message edited by JunkyJud on July 02, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:54 am:

I can't get a free start when I try, but it will do it when it wants to. Usually it happens when a group of people come around and want me to crank start the T. Then when I turn to batt, it starts. I had it happen 3 times in a row last Saturday when I was trying to demonstrate how to crank start.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Norm,
That's just your T's way of being sure you don't get too comfortable. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Steve, I have an NH carburetor. It starts, accelerates and cruises very well. My only complaint would be that if I'm stuck in traffic, the carburetor likes an 8th of a turn of richness. My understanding is there's no idle circuit on these carbs... just a spray jet and off you go!

carb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Wendell,
Yes there is a idle circuit in a NH carburetor.
But it need to be clean and open to work properly.

See the photo.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Thanks, Andre.

So, it appears the idle circuit draws from the spray jet and is not independently adjustable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

It was called " starting on the spark" and was common on other cars of the brass era before starters. Like early Ts other cars would have a set of dry cell batteries and could make a spark that might start the engine.
Hint: rev the engine a bit before you turn off the key and the cylinders will be primed up better for starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Thanks, Layden.

That clarifies one of my questions that was overlooked in another thread.

So, the earlier cars were magneto only, and used a dry cell to assist the coils, but not to assist cranking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

So, here's a thought... if the idle circuit is not adjustable on an NH carburetor, then that might explain why people here report different experiences with them.

Idle circuits work on vacuum, and main circuits work on air flow (venturi pressure drop).

As the manifold pressure blends from low to high, the idle circuit stops contributing at some point. If its contribution is not adjustable, then it will vary from carb to carb depending in the passage's cleanliness...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Here is a other "Start on spark".
Set your computer load and enjoy.
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=133946

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

Spectacular!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

sorry it should be "loud" the computer.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

doesn't it just slay you when MSD comes out with a multiple spark innovation and our T's had it way back when!!!
Free starts on a cold engine are always welcome.
I hand crank 4 times with the choke closed, key off, and then turn to Battery for my free start. Once you feel the compression talk back to you, there is a good chance for that freebie...got one today after T was idle since the 4th.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration