What did you do today- (July)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What did you do today- (July)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

I rented an industrial size sandblaster along with a huge air compressor. This thing worked awesome! It worked so good I had about a cup of blast material in each of my socks.

I blasted my frame, front end parts, rear end parts, front fenders, hood, headlight bar, and a bunch of other misc things. It worked great!

Going to prime everything tomorrow before it sits too long. Then I'll paint the chassis parts on Sunday. Then I can start to re-assemble the chassis and make it look like a car again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Michael, I have a big blaster and compressor similar to the one you used. I do my blasting with it about once a year. We sometimes have a "blast party" and other club members bring their stuff. I have strict rules. Each person must do their own blasting (I make exceptions for our very old or poor health members), and they furnish there own gas, and sand. I have some safeway scaffolding that I use to set up a three wall enclosure with another tarp. I put down the big tarp like you did and with the enclosure, we are able to reuse about 75 percent of the sand each time the pot empties. It is amazing how fast the blasting goes and how good a job it does. But it is a hard dirty job. I have had the sand "inside" my socks. But always make sure to have good respirators or forced air and good ventilation outside. After blasting take a bath as soon as possible and wash your clothes immediality. The fine dust is all over you and your clothes. It is possible to breath the fine dust even after the blasting is done. It is also possible to spread it into the house if you do not change your clothes. Have fun and be safe Donnie Brown .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:53 am:

My fantastic, handy husband finished the "Tee-Port" and installed the Coupe. I don't know how he did it because the Coupe has been on 4 jack stands (stands - no wheels). 1 wheel needs new races so I had all 4 wheels & axle nuts in the car with me at the office. By the time I got home he had rotated the car 180* and moved it about 40' - on the jack stands (no wheels) and over dirt & gravel ....the man is truly AMAZING !!!. He also made me a sturdy work bench. Now the T and motorcycles will be out of the sun and rain.

start

mid

end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:56 am:

He did not use the engine lift :-) When I got home I put 3 of the 4 wheels on. And NO those are not small, thin motorcycles. Haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Nice job now you can work on you T come rain or shine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Spent all day Friday cleaning the Model T pulling vehicle to make it sale ready. 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 112K miles, excellent condition. Email or call if interested, 901-494-6897

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Yesterday I cleaned off the mud I got on my T at the fair last week. I am getting it ready for the Independence Day parade at Coronado. Coronado, Ca is a military town as well as a beach resort, so there is always a very patriotic and well attended parade on July 4.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Gorgeous day and have ribs in the oven........so to pass a little time I took my '24 Dodge Sedan out for a jaunt........ :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Finished adding Rocky Mt. brakes on Towmater. Be ready to go on Monday's parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Met Tim Moore and looked at his amazing collection while picking up some new engine pans for the '26. Heck of a nice guy. Thanks again Tim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

"Gorgeous day and have ribs in the oven....."

Craig -- Dontcha know you're supposed to have ribs in a smoker, not the oven? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

I finally FINALLY after two weeks of daily penetrating oil soakings got my main jet to budge in my carb. Small victory but I'll take it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Got my coil box changed over to 26/7 taking care of the clearance issue with the brake pedal.
Also finished up making the crank handle for the speedster with laurel dropped front end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 02:41 am:

Replacement meters for my homemade HCCT came today, Think I'll use the square one because it's easier to read--but it's not as "classic" as the round one. Cost of both together was a bit over $12

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Installing engine pans and doing a lot of long needed maintenance on the '10. I have installed perhaps 30 cotter pins, shimmed the wishbone ball, changed the oil, installed the Jacobson Brandow coil box, and polishing the lamps. Going to be on display next weekend indoors at the Arlington convention center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:28 am:

I have added a Miller-Schofield (CRAGAR) head for Model A,B to my small collection of vintage speed equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Started the touring season by taking my wife and myself To church in the touring car. The weather is just perfect for a early morning ride here in the Green Mountains

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

A buddy dug this frame out of the ground. Almost fit completely inside the bed. We're going to use whats left of it to modify my chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Polished brass. Inside. It is hot in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Finished wood in bed and adjusted floor boards so pedals don't rub . Installed exhaust system AND THEN !!!!
I drove it down the road for the 1st time.over heated in about a mile . A lot of brown nasty water and steam. Maybe a flush will help the situation ? Radiator was down about 4 inches and cap was loose. It was still great. Wife said it was impressive as I pulled in the drive with the steam rising from radiated cap.
Sarcasm !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Second day of lamp polishing......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Royce,

Great job.
I sent you some brass to polish for me.
Do you have a fork lift?

Be_Zero_Be :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

I replaced the 8 ft. florescent bulbs in my shop with 8 ft. LED tube lights. Should save 75% on electricity and they put out a lot more light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

I started polishing for the first time this year. Tomorrow is a 4th of July car show we always attend, so time to clean up a little. It won't be perfect, but I bet it will be the oldest. There will be other cars from Model A's to muscle cars:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 06:01 am:

Gave Henry a bath to get ready for tomorrow's 4th celebration at the Long Beach VA Hospital. Husband did his part, he got a call at 6am to go move his Grader because that was where they would be parking the classic cars on display on the 4th. He happens to be on a job at the VA. Tough gig - 3 miles from home :-) Then got rear axle parts ready to go to the hot tank next week. Husband bought me a present - a bearing puller - that man really knows the way to my heart !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Royce, where can I get a polishing wheel like the small one you have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Jerry,

Harbor Freight sells the little 90 degree high speed and the 5" buffer wheels and sticks of jeweler's rouge. Very good way to cut the time spent polishing brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Got everything out tools and parts to change my starter and Bendex on the 26 rpm. Gotta house full of kids coming for a 4th cook out. My oldest wants to help me work on the T. We will see how long that lasts. I will update my progress tonight. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:58 am:

Tried to post yesterday. But I think it got lost. So Yesterday I washed my 2003 Mach 1 Mustang, Drove 185 miles into LA. Picked up a very Pretty gal and went to the Dodger Ball game. We won 4-1. On the way back we went by 901 9th street in Burbank. The rock house that Henry stayed in when he was out this way. The house still looks great. I didnt see any cracks and it has been thru plenty of earthquakes. Today I washed a load of rear axle parts in the solvent tank. Putting together a large Ruxtell with old Rockies. I also have a Rocky driveshaft trans that I want to use. will get a few parts on the way in the morning. Almost everything inside the Ruxtell looked great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:17 am:

We spent the day at the Long Beach VA Celebration. Lots of Vets - WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iran, Afghanistan, and more. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and a whole lots of really super, great, fantastic, volunteers!! Music, Food, Games and give aways..... A pretty good day :-)

LBMTC 4th

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

The last few days I spent cleaning off the sandblast media, wiping the parts down with wax/grease remover, priming the parts, and finally painting them black. I have just about all of the Chassis parts painted and ready for reassembly once the parts are good and dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Drove down to El Segundo to the Museum of Driving. saw a nice '15? Runabout. Noticed a leak ,talked to the manager and offered to snug up the fuel shutoff at the carb that was weeping. Ran out to the car,grabbed wrenches and fixed their leak. Public Service. Got invited to their car show on Sat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:30 am:

I recently decided to take the distributor off the Coupe and revert to a commutator. Then I remembered the magneto was shot so I bought an eTimer. Today I removed the radiator to gain access, installed the eTimer wires and the control rod. The instructions to check the timing look comprehensive so I will resume tomorrow or Thursday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:17 am:

I built myself a sling for the transmission/flywheel, as described in the MTFCA transmission book, so I can lift it on and off my crankshaft.

I may have gone a bit overboard on the hooks...they're 3/8ths, not 1/4 dia...but it should still work. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Now I have the coils modified with the contacts bypass and powered up. Plugs 3 and 4 work fine but 1 just does a click and 2 is buzzing but no spark. I guess I have a contact problem.

More later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

I removed the coils 1 and 2, cleaned the contacts and reinstalled and now I have four sparks. An hour later the radiator and the fan were back on and I tried to start. It was GREAT, so smooth I kept thinking it as going to stall. It is strange that you have to move the timing to full advance even at idle. The pickup is smooth and on a quick run down the road it was doing 40 which is more than fast enough.
It comes preset in the automatic advance mode, I could switch to the manual but I'll try this auto for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Today I made 2 L brackets for speedometer drives. I used a nice repro for a pattern. It's nice to be working on the T's again. The Harley has been getting much of my attention this Spring.

George n, thanks for helping at the Driving Museum. I like what they are doing there and was glad to see them mentioned.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

I replaced a faulty stator, and cleaned up my scooter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Balanced rods today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:48 am:

Today, I finished refitting all the rods for my '15 runabout. The next step for it is the final balance of those rods, then attaching the pistons and install. I had done the preliminary balance about three months ago, but I just don't seem to be getting enough time working on this thing again this year.
I also bolted on the timing gear cover. I am gaining on it. Maybe it will be running before it turns 105.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 06:57 am:

Did some actual (office-type) work ... Need to feed my Habit !!

Next week is our Club meeting.
Is that the equivalent of Model T (TA) anonymous meeting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Took Pete for gas and a nice ride. Too hot for the wifey so went alone. Did a good 40 miles last I saw on the odometer. Then jt got too dang hot for me. Mostly the high dew point is the culprit. Pete ran great and pretty cool for 88 degrees. Bottom half of moto-meter. Guess he's pretty well broke in now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

About a month ago noticing a leak around the crankcase pan inspection cover, I thought I would tighten it and promptly twisted the head off of one of the bolts. Today I just got around to removing the cover and replacing the gasket and all the bolts. I don't trust the old bolts so I replaced all the bolts with new ones as well as putting in a new gasket. While I was at it I replaced the old oil plug copper gasket with a new one since there was a leak around the oil plug. I also put in a new neoprene radiator cap gasket replacing the old paper gaskets which were deteriorating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 02:43 am:

Some people don't believe me when I say my T is a daily driver and sometimes I have to go to the laundromat for the big stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 02:46 am:

^ Not LIKE........LOVE....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Made ramps for my lift

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Just went for an evening drive. Did about ten miles, exploring local roads. I saw one other car, but passed several people walking. Above: Backing into the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

Neat picture Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 02:00 am:

Turned the shoulder down on a couple of Model A front lug bolts to use on T rear wire wheel hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:08 am:

A leak in the recently resealed oil can prompted a need to clean it out for another solder attempt,
creating a wash of oil contaminated mineral spirits. This turned my attention back to a nagging need
to oil the bed of the truck, as it was PARCHED and decades overdue. So, with a few rinses of the
oil can mixed with linseed oil, the bed and rails got a good soaking and could probably use another
(or ten). This is the original bed wood, and in spite of some minor rot in the right front corner, is still
holding up pretty well. The mineral spirits get the linseed oil deep into the wood. A second coat without
will give a harder "surface" coating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Nice Picture Steve.
What's upstairs in the shop that needs to be air conditioned?

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll - Carlsbad CA on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Drafted my daughter (home from college for Mom's birthday) to help me remove old rear wheels and swap tires and tubes on to new wheels recently back from Stutzman's. Now painted and sealed. I think they look pretty nice with a clear polyurethane finish. She got to watch her dad sweat a bit too. Then we had to do a test drive down the coast. Ah Summer.
Swap Tires smallsmall wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Bob, when this building went up I was manufacturing signs. I needed AC to counteract the ovens that baked the signs. Since I sold the sign business I've never used the AC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Steve,

Looks like it would be a neat place to hang out this time of year or maybe work on things you can hold in your hand sitting in a chair rocking. :-) :-) :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:29 am:

Spent the afternoon (Thursday) at DMV to register my 1924 Year-of-Manufacture YOM plates. Got the temporary with no problem. Now keeping fingers crossed there's no rejection by Sacramento. Then went to my Ts-Anonymous meeting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

There is a small Thresheree show today (used to be a real nice show........but I digress).
Nevertheless, the property and mine adjoin so it's literally in my back yard.
I took the '19 Touring there more for moral support than anything.
While there weren't throngs of people there there was someone hanging around the car all the while I was there.
An older fella and I had been talking about the car and it turned out I know his brother.
As I was leaving I stopped and asked him if he wanted to go for a ride.........I've NEVER had anyone say NO....... LOL
His face lit up as he had never ridden in one.
Let's just say it made his day AND mine....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

See my other post!!!!! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

OK, it was Wednesday, but was repairing a player piano in Penn Valley, about a mile from Terry Horlick's place, so stopped in and we took Rusty out for fuel. Terry wanted me to drive, but it's been too long, so I made him drive.
He's done a lot of motor work, and Rusty runs too quiet now!! Guy at the gas station asked if it was a 1908. :-) Lotsa Fun; munched on some of Terrie's homemade zucchini bread w/chocolate (Oooh! Yuuum!) and Terrie gave me a (ONE!) zucchini to take home. Around these parts folks don't usually lock their cars except this time of year, because otherwise you might find it full of zucchini! :-)
Sorry, no pics, guess I can't prove it happened. . . :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 12:17 am:

Finished cab swap I started last weekend by adding single spring Hasslers to the front of TT cab on the T chassis. I'm happy with the outcome even though it busted a lot of patina. The cut off c-cab is a nice fit for the dump truck and not nearly as noisy to drive. It has 12 speeds and will make a great trainer for my kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 04:55 am:

Completed an adoption ....

new t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Went into to town for coffee this morning. Had to stop and get some pictures! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Carl my 1911 touring and I finally made it back to California. Need to do a thorough check and tune then off to the DMV for California licensing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:21 am:

My husband and I went racing this morning 20 laps in Nascar cars. I would have gone faster but when I pushed on the throttle and the pedal lowered my toe would slip off the end of the pedal. Arrgghhh. Their cars are not for short people. Let me see them drive a model t!!

Then home to give the new adoptee (1922 Touring) a look-see. Went through the car and the 8 boxes of extra parts, tools, and other bits plus the toolbox and under the seat stuff. What does one do with 8 generators all in various stages of disassembly, 19 old wrenches, 9 old rusty monkey wrenches and flares from 1960?

Found a set of Firestone Polonium plugs and the car has installed a set of Wizard Standard 18 plugs.

race 1 race 2 race 3

sparks wizard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 06:12 am:

I installed 2 cotter pins for the timer rod in my pickup. Hey, don't laugh, at least I did something....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:37 am:

Yesterday we started the Int'l. annual tour in Auburn with a nice car show, judging & a great chicken BBQ. Perfect weather and venue on the lake. Great people, learning lots. Keith Gumbinger & his colleague Charlie (forgot his last name) judged my car. Very good learning experience. We'll see friday how it fared! Met RV Anderson & Larry Smith too. Andrea..on wed. we'll be afforded an opportunity to drive our Ts on a racetrack near Weedsport. Its a dirt one so I might have to pass on that one! Don't want to get Clarabelle all dirty underneath. But we'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Patched the lower cowl sections on the new AA yard vehicle with brass machine screws and pieces cut from an old galvanized barn roof (you never know what will show up at the town dump):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Removed windshield from TT cab to clean and paint frames. Replace with safety glass. Didn't twist any screws off!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Friday a new member came by with a few questions on how to install a new starter in his car. Well, I did a very dumb thing (I am prone to doing dumb things when I have an audience!) I was trying to remove the floorboards to show him the bendix cover on my car so he would know where his was on his car. I have a center mounted Ruckstell shifter and when the car was parked it was in Ruckstell. I couldn't get the floorboard past the shifter and the parking brake so tried to shift to high. It wouldn't move without the car moving, so I started up the engine and moved the car forward while moving the shifter. That worked splendidly, however, I couldn't apply the brake because the floorboard was in the way and I ran my car into the other T parked in front of it! Fortunately, The one I was in has a bumper and the bumper hit the tires of the car in front, so no damage was done. And just as the cars collided I pulled on the parking brake.

Anyway, I was thoroughly embarrased. Now he probably won't let me near his car.

Yesterday I put the floorboards back in.

Today I don't plan to do anything with a T!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

I brought my 26 roadster home a couple months ago. Since then have been tinkering here and there getting it running better and fixing thing or finding missing parts. I moved a bunch of engine parts out of my garage to moms room for my new T. In the process I found a Claxton horn. No idea where I got it or when. Perfect because mine was missing. Of course it didn't make noise. Tonight I disassembled . The diaphragm was rusted away on one side, about 1/4 of it. I thought this is not going to work. It is very strange sounding and loud.
Way to go Henry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Put the TT out to pasture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Morning: Hung a newly painted front axle out to bake in the sun for a few days.

Evening: Went for a drive and visited the old timers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Started mocking up the Warford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Today I will retorque the Z head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Replaced the valve cover gaskets and cut a slot in them hoping the oil goes back into the block and not along the outside. Next time I'm taking the carb off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Interesting idea George, let us know how well it works! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Painted TT windshield frames, hustled back to air cond!!! 4 inches of rain yesterday, steam bath today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Mark,

Sorry I am not a t genius. Read about this trick in this forum. I believe it was from 2015. However I will let the forum know how it works out. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Made a trip to the ER! I was installing a Model A rear spring back on the rear axle under the car. The spring rolled over and caught my right hand little finger between it and the floor jack. Didn't know I had some much blood in that finger! They pilled it back together with tape sutures. The doc doing the work has a 40's International that needs some work. :-) Good things can come out pain!
RE the holes in valve cover gaskets, I have been doing that for a while. I got tired of pulling them off and having oil that was trapped between the gasket and cover cascade down the side of the block. The oil works it's way along the stud and sits between the gasket and cover with no where to go.

(Message edited by redmodelt on July 21, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Ouch, Mark! Sorry that happened and I hope you heal up quickly. Last year I broke a leg foolishly on my motorcycle and am frustrated from waiting. We aren't as young anymore, no matter how much I hate to admit it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:21 am:

I've been working on the trans cover for my roadster. Fitted two bronze bushes to the reverse and brake pedal holes. Reamed the reverse bush as a tight fit on the non worn section, and then worked the pedal in. The wear on the shaft gives me .0015" clearance.

Turned a new shaft for the brake pedal using a piece of a damaged steering shaft. Reamed bush for fit. All I have to do now is get the two holes in at the correct alignment. I hate drilling shafts, trying to get the hole right in the centre.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:27 am:

No pain NOW! Maybe about the time I try to get to sleep. Still have to put the spring back on the rear end and lift into place tomorrow, that will be fun in a splint on my little pinky. At least Tom will be at the shop to help. I still live with the messed up leg from my motorcycle mishap in 1995.

For the Model T part of what have you done. Made and installed two new rear wire wheel lug nut studs. Sand blasted the hubs and put some paint on them. Sent one wire wheel to be blasted around the lug holes. Am going to try doing some repair. They are oval shaped to the outside like some one was trying to mount on Model A hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 01:02 am:

Phoned a couple of insurance companies today to inquire about antique car insurance for an under age driver. I started with Hagerty, and when that busted, I felt a sickening feeling. If they wouldn't insure me, who would? I then tried Intact, and, so long as my dad is the owner of the car, there is no issue. The broker I spoke with seemed confident that putting me on a policy with my dad is allowed. I've been knocking on wood all day because I need to make sure that a 'T' qualifies as an antique car and iron out a few wee details, but I think the biggest roadblock is over.

Owning a T feels so close now I can almost taste it. Perhaps in as little as 8 months I can take my very own for a joy ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 01:42 am:

Good for you Ryan!....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:17 am:

Allan B, When drilling holes in a round shaft, don't use a center punch. Use a small rat-tail file. With a little practice, you can put a nearly perfect cradle to start the drill bit in. Start with a small bit, go only part way. Rotate the shaft in your vise to carefully straighten the angle of the bit in the shaft. About half way through (maybe even a little less?), move up a size or two drill bit. Recheck for straight. Only if you are truly satisfied it is straight, drill the rest of the way through. It is often better to start drilling (VERY CAREFULLY) starting from both sides, and meet in the middle with a drill bit no bigger than 2/3 the size than you want to finish with. Then and only then, continue moving up in small steps until you have the hole you want.
This method can actually reach a hole nearly as perfect using a hand-held electric drill as can be done with a milling machine. The rat-tail file on a round shaft makes a big difference. Rechecking for straight again and again just aims for near perfection.

As for what I did today? (Well, yesterday?) After more than a week of fussing and fitting, and balancing, and cleaning, and etc. I finally installed the pistons, rods, and rings, for the '15 runabout's engine. Tomorrow, or perhaps, later today depending upon how you look at the clock? The final tighten and a whole bunch of cotter pins. Then on to the flywheel, magneto, and transmission balance and assembly. At least most of the pieces for that are already sorted out for use. I hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Made a new wrench to pull the hub nuts off my Budd wheels. The original wrenches bend and scar up the brass nut and don't hold the keeper out far enough. This one goes around the whole nut and the keeper pivots down to hold the keeper. Tried it today and it works great. My wife thought I was cleaning the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Ready for final assembly and test of eleven rebuilt Model T Ford starting motors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Ron, I only wish I could be that clean and organized. Wow!!!
Got the new safety glass in my TT windshield and it is now back on the truck. Put new lining on tranny bands. I'm in the house cooling off right now, hoping I can keep get the tranny done today but the heat is brutal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Breakfast & short tour with the Vegas T club, great bunch of guys and had a lovely drive across town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Got my tow bar and lights all hooked up for a little test drive this morning. Pulled the T around the neighborhood and then out on the road. Despite all of the evidence from the Montana 500 crowd that a tow bar works great, I was still a little apprehensive about the front wheels turning and tracking. It worked great, just had to see it to believe it. Ready to take a little trip to Georgia next week. Hopefully it will cool down just a little bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Started my 1921 roadster for the first time. We are 3rd owners of this car and 2nd owner never did anything besides storing the car. Now on to upholstery to replace what criters ate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

So far, I haven't done anything on the T today. However, yesterday, I did get those cotter pins all in the rod and main bearings of the '15 engine. I think, of all the minor tasks on a model T, I hate that one the most. That may be about the only task I hate doing on a model T. Especially the main bearings. About half of them, you can barely see to line up the castle nut and pin hole. Yes, I know about the dot on the square head to help line it up, but it is only the starting point. There is just not quite enough room to swing the wrench on the nut. And even when the hole is lined up? First, you can barely get your fingers in there to do anything, and once the cotter pin finally IS in place, you can't get to the other side to spread the ends.
Frankly, I have had more fun fishing the dropped band nut out of the transmission.
But it is done.

Just had a nice visit with Tim (our younger son, who is expecting their first baby any day now). He just stopped by unexpectedly.
Maybe I can still go out and get something done on the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

got the bands back into tranny without dropping anything. Was slow today because my 17 yr old totaled my old Buick mid afternoon. Dropped everything and went to scene. My wife took her to the Dr. I stayed at the scene until the cars were towed away. My girl is just fine and very lucky. Both cars were a total loss. No one hurt except bumps and bruises. Seat belts and airbags!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

In July, I finished installing the interior of my 1915 roadster, a project I had started months earlier.

Now my last major projects are fabricating one top bow and getting the top installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Wow Wayne, great job! As well as you did the interior, you should consider installing the top yourself, using a Classtique kit. I did my first one-man top installation on my 1924 cut-off touring a few years ago, not perfect, but certainly passable:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/387929.html?1379253208

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Michael..I'm glad to hear your kid made it out of the accident OK. Cars can be replaced...we know the drill. Glad she had her seat belt on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Mark: Thank you for the encouraging words. Like all projects that I do myself, I always know where the mistakes are.

My car came with a top kit that has been in the box for over 10 years. I had thought about doing the top myself, but I think a professional will be able to do a better job of getting the top material stretched tight and all the creases out.

Sometimes it is worth the extra money to get the job done right the first time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Cleanup day. Since May this car has been wearing Marion County mud from my big off-road adventure.
When washing a Model T you must use a period correct galvanized pail.

It has become almost a daily driver. I don't drive it every day, but almost every day. Today it made two trips to town.
For bolts and groceries this morning, and for a double cone at Braum's this evening (mint chocolate chip and chocolate chip cookie dough).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:33 am:

A clean wet Model T! Even better than that 'clean wet dog' scent! I swear I can almost smell it from your pictures! Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Gave George the touring car his first coat of paint in many years. The "paint job" was just a quick clear coat as we have decided to let George wear the mostly rust "patina" that he has acquired over the years.

All masked up to keep the clear paint off the clear parts of the car

Car actually looks pretty good with the gloss clear. From this angle some of the rust can be mistaken for black!

In the Model T spirit, the clear coat was applied with an ancient spray gun that I got at an auction for $2.50.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:09 am:

Hope this show's for you fellars. I've been on the road for the last four days since I'm moving from L.A to the Lake of the Ozarks, Missourah. Naturally I was invited to stop over at the Jelf Estate in Parkerville Ks. Took several spins with Steve in his '15 Runabout.. Here's out little trip too breakfast. Link was posted on Face Book.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Fordmodelt/10157135187280548/?notif_t=like&notif _id=1469761365177661

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:14 am:

After Breackfast cruisin' around Arkansas City KS.
Posted to Face Book.
https://www.facebook.com/george.clipner/posts/1141271175911594?notif_t=like&noti f_id=1469761097328184

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:36 am:

Added Rocky MT. brake pedal to TT pickup. I then moved on to Dist issues on 38 Ford Foordoor Deluxe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 06:17 am:

I have the crankshaft and camshaft in the block for my roadster. Today I built the transmission. A new transmission shaft had just .001" runout at the bushing end. I had the flywheel magnet keepers ground on a flywheel grinder to get them all at the same level, after getting them as close as I could. Three of the one piece shims got the clearance nailed.

Next task is to fit the rods and pistons. I will have to wit to get the valve stems ground before I can fit those.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Taking 26TT Express to the Monroe County Fair. I have my campaign signs for County Supervisor on the sides and rear. This will be my 8th campaign. Will also take the kids favorite, 27 TT wrecker with Mater eyeballs. They will stay there the 3 days of the Fair. Then we will drive TT cab pickup back and forth to Fair. I am ready for a ribeye sandwich!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

This was yesterday, was having some 'puter connecting trouble. My T freshly rolled off the truck and took a nice 10 mile ,evening spin. Car loves this Ozark Gas.Ran great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Just delivered a touring car brought back from a long down period. Today we are taking the Wild Cherry T race car to the Poor Boys' show in Woodland, Ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

FIRST LAKE OZARK ROAD CASUALTY !!!

;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Drove the grand marshall in the Pine Valley Days Parade. Pine Valley is a small mountain village about 50 miles east of San Diego. Noted for the Jeffery Pines and Live Oak trees. Many horses in this town too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:13 am:

George - some would consider that a dead bug on the radiator, but I'd consider that a "trophy"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:30 am:

VICTIM NUMBER ONE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 03:04 am:

Didn't work on my car, or Derrick's generator either. But I did work on Model T...1912-1922 and 1909-1911 Clutch Drive Plate assembly drawings...does that count?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 07:56 am:

Placed campaign signs on 26 TT pickup. Took 8 kids to the Demolition Derby at the County Fair last night. The weather for this Fair is about as good as it gets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Used the Coupe to help with some yard work. A State Senator and former Lieutenant-Governor dropped by to see the cars so I took them for a ride in the 1909. We don't get many celebrities or politicians dropping by. They were both very nice and polite. They did enjoy the cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Closed out the month by taking George the touring car to a car show in Seneca, Kansas. He was the only Model T, but parked next to us was a really nice 1928 AA truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

I broke my frame!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 01:05 am:

George n Lake Ozark Mo. Welcome to Missourah. Pretty country around the lake. Allen Brintnall, So.W. Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Chris,

I think that's a problem. OT, but is that a mustang in the background?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 01:18 am:

I ended the month finishing my homework. The Flatland T's club is getting a TT put back together and running for the Mennonite Heritage Museum. My part was getting the hood unstuck and sprucing up the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Luke, yes that is a 65 Mustang in the back ground. Been in the family since 74.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Very neat. Hope it stays that way for a long time. Does it run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Last day of July and to hot to work at mid day. After taking a load to the dump, we took a T ride down river to the Clark Fork Delta, about 25 miles down river. The delta is in Idaho at the head of Lake Pend Oreille. Nice afternoon ride. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

Chris Otto on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 07:46 am:
Luke, yes that is a 65 Mustang in the back ground. Been in the family since 74.

I have a '65.......same color too....... :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration