Joyriding

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Joyriding
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

That's a form of entertainment that has fallen out of use for most folks. In the early days of motoring it was common to go out for a drive just for fun, and for no other particular purpose. That's what I did this evening. I drove the roadster on country roads, mostly at 13-25 MPH. By the time I got home about nine, the magneto headlights were starting to show a little light on the road and the lightning bugs were doing their aerial dances. I didn't take a picture, but you've all seen my car anyway. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

Steve, we do the same thing. This time of year between 7 and 8:30 are great cruising times because most of the idiots are off the road. How is the roadster running?, can you feel any difference after all the balancing you did over the winter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

It's running the same as it did before, which is nicely. It was balanced before the work. It had a bad reverse drum I had to replace, so I just had to balance the new drum. The main thing the car needs now is a serious reduction of wobble. That means changing to a front axle that has good threaded holes on both ends, and getting the new wheels painted and installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

It wasn't called "joyriding," but I remember as a child going with my parents most Sundays to my grandparents' house. Someone would say in the early afternoon, "Shall we go for a drive?" Everyone would pile into the car and we would do just that. No particular destination, just go for a drive. Source of the expression "Sunday driver."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

I like going out driving in the evening around 7:00-9:00PM. Next Winter when I'm into my 3rd or 4th month of being a shut in, I'll remember watching the sun disappear as I go down into a low area and pop back out as I top the next hill. On the Speedster I feel the air temperature drop in those low areas and appreciate a jacket. Racing down the road at 20 mph isn't much of a threat to the wildlife as they're starting to move about. The lights are coming on around the lake. The waterfowl settle along the shoreline and the frogs start singing. When I'm walking from the shop to the house the crickets really raise a ruckus and the fireflies are flashing their lights. It's the best time of the year to be in Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 12:31 am:

When you spoke of bugs flashing, it made me think of a trip I had.. I stayed a friends house in Arkansas and say the lightning bugs , and it brought back old memories of living near Mansfield, Missouri back in the middle 40's.
When I was in Arkansas, I heard the sound of a whippoorwill. Also was the sound of the "Bobwhite quail. My late neighbor lady was raising the Bobwhites but they would not make here for some reason.
Those are the sounds I miss, even though we have the Valley Quail and the Mountain quail in our area.
Happy 4Th to all and stay safe and sane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 02:41 am:

Joyriding is what the little Ford was meant for?

Cat tails, swamps, lakes and little Fords go hand in hand in my mind since water is all around here.

The evening is starting to cool, ya open the windshield and go for a toodle.
Ahh, the simplicity of it. :-)

Thank you for the inspiration Michael!

My wife even used to ask to go for a toodle in the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:35 am:

These days traffic is so bad in some areas that joyriding would be a stressful chore.
Out on the country is a often different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:56 am:

Some of my fondest memories as a kid is when Dad would load all of us up in the carryall and take a drive down Lakeshore drive; a beautiful drive with old-money mansions and hundred year old elms on one side and Lake St. Clair on the other. Typically it would be in the evening before sunset and we'd stop first at a real frozen custard place (the kind that has a yellow look to it) and then slowly drive the strip singing silly kid songs; man I miss those days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:30 am:

Mornin' Bill! Ur up early too! Lately we've been doing some driving that takes us into the early night, so as to be able to "exercise" the headlamps on all the cars, from the '20 electric to Pete's gas lamps. Here's from last night when we got back around 9:35 from the Fri. night show up north. Nice little gathering of about 150 cars, won 10 bucks this time! And a great ride up and back. Pete was certainly a hit with everyone especially when I "lit him up"!! And look at that nasty brown lawn would ya! We need rain, badly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

My dog, Arthur, is always up for a joyride! He will jump up on the running board and look at me with the 'lets go' expression.

https://youtu.be/xa7pzYBVhp8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

After having the brake band lining disintegrate on my way to the Tuesday night T workshop
down at The Ranch, I pulled the band, plucked what I could of the lining from the transmission,
relined and installed the band and things have been hunky-dory ever since. Sadly, I am too
busy to allot time for joyriding these days, so my T time is more about working it in to hauling
lumber to my jobs or the aforementioned Tuesday night workshops, but a couple nights back
I came home from work in the T and decided to flush the engine oil and see what kind of rat's
nest might fall out from all those band lining bits I could not get. I left it in the gravel driveway
in anticipation of the mess I might make, put a pan under it and pulled the plug. I then went in
the house a made up some chow while it got a good, hot temp draining.

The evening was beginning to cool when I came back out and I found myself just laying under
the truck, looking up around the fender and running board at the sky, my pine trees and sage brush,
and the pole and streetlight that is period correct to the truck and just basked in the ambiance
of old and peaceful. Prior to AFG, I planted the yard in wildflowers to spare the wifeperson from
weeding while I was gone. When I came home I xeriscaped the place with native Ponderosa and
Lodgepole pines, Tamerack, sagebrush, and Potentilla. After 3 years, the trees are getting taller
than I am and with a little imagination from my vantage point under the truck, I am out in the forest.
The cooling temp fills the air with the heady smells of the pines and sage. It is just plain heavenly.
I just laid there and soaked it all in.

I took my time and fussed about. The oil was surprisingly clear of bits when I ran it through a
fine screen. At the rate this dog burns oil, I poured it back in and topped it off and as the night
was just so pleasant, I pulled a hard cider out of the cooler and proceeded take the show into
the twilight doing a flush of the radiator. At 2115hrs the soft glow of the oldtime streetlight came
on as I began to put the tools away, clean up my pans and funnels, and I took the old dog for a
short test drive before backing it into the the barn and hitting the showers.

It was a most enjoyable evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 08:30 am:

I tell wifie to go do metamorphosis while I get the T ready to go blow the stink off and get a three dipper, get are picture took and answer T questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Hi Eugene,

"blow the stink off"
My 86 year old Aunt occasionally brings up that phrase as one used by her father to her mother when it was time to go for a ride: "Ma, we gotta go blow the stink off".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration