Mac's interior kit arrived but my Springs are thicker

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mac's interior kit arrived but my Springs are thicker
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:35 am:

There's no way to guess where my rear seat bring came from, but it is at least 8 inches thick and I like it, especially since I plan to carry bride and groom back there.

Lang's is graciously accepting the return and I will seek a local artisan to upholster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 02:20 am:

Steve at Lang's is looking for a source of the exact seat spring sizes to help determine if any of my seat springs are original or not.

I will need to purchase at least one seat back spring, but we are not sure if the one back spring I have fits the front or even the back.

He is also shipping me the wood for the top edge of my front seat. Only the corner Wooden curves are missing for top esdge of the back seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:01 am:

Chris, Snyders began in the T parts business making seat springs. They should be able to help you out with info and supplies.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Chris, I would highly recommend you get your upholstery from Classtique, here's Mike's phone number. 651-484-9022. I had all mine done from him and it's excellent and fair priced. I recently finished my project with a new top boot from him and it's unbelievable. Correct for the year, etc. Fits absolutely perfect. Told him I would post a recommendation later, then of course forgot! So now here's the recommendation to you and anyone interested! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 09:05 am:

I also recommend Classtique. Just finished up the '14 touring,and it came out great. Mike is now making the side curtains. The top boot was perfect. Mike is real easy to work with. He never asked for a recommendation, but he is getting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 09:12 am:

The best solution: Don't order anything from Mac's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 09:14 am:

I need to chime in here also, because I got a '13 Touring top from Classtique, and it was PERFECT. Mike and Elizabeth were helpful and patient in answering my questions. It came out great. A real quality supplier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Chris did you know that the springs have to be compressed before you put the upholstry on?

Even if you buy from Classtique this has to be done. I used their upholstery kit on my 21 Touring and the springs had to be compressed for the upholstery to fit.

If your springs are correct you still have to do this.

The spring upholstery kits don't just 'slip on'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Pictures of a spring compression table from Classtique's website:

http://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php/photos/compression-table

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Very interesting, Mark. I'm glad you posted it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:15 am:

The rear seat spring for the '24 is approx. 41" long x 18" wide.

The back rest spring for the front seat, 1924 is same as this photo:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Ohhhhh! That does look like my rear seat bottom spring. I guess I could build a similar (dungeon?) compression table with some 2 x 4's and long zip ties for one or two uses.

That's good news.

I'm off to work now but later I will remeasure my other 2 springs and post results in a plea to determine what is missing.

Thank You all again for this kind and generous virtual community. Maybe someday in 200 years my great grandkids will be reading this and distill some alcohol to operate an old car from the "petroleum" era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Easy to make a spring seat press. That is how you fit the upholstery to a spring base.

Plywood sheet, 2x4 and some all-thread rod, a couple of nuts and washers to fit the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

I took the easy way out and had Mike install the upholstery on my seat bottoms. Top notch job & worth every penny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Seatsbare

At this point I'm first trying to determine if any of my springs are original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

9thickrearcushion

Rear bottom cushion appears to be 9 inches thick and would never compress to 4 inches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

When you make a seat cushion compressor, make sure the bottom piece of plywood is 3/4". I used two boards to compress the cushion. It's easier to control that way, in fact I'm the one who taught Elizabeth this method. If you are using the late style cushions, you will need some wide bill vise grips to compress the channel after you drop the skirt into it. I also used a larger diameter welt on the bottom of the skirt to hold it in better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Chris:

The height of the cushion along the edge should be around 4.5 inches.

I can see from the photographs that you do not have the correct cushions - they are much too tall. I looks like they may have come out of an old sedan or maybe some old furniture.

The main purpose of compressing a touring or roadster cushion is to make it easier to insert the material in the metal channel and crimp it.

Once the compressor is removed, the material on the sides will be taut, but the springs themselves will have little to no tension. Any tension is mainly along the perimeter of the cushion.

Even if you use a spring compressor, you can't use an 8 inch cushion and when you are finished expect to end up with with a 4.5 inch cushion.

If you do use the 8 inch cushions and install custom upholstery, in my opinion you'll just end up with another Model T with a common antique automobile malady - god-awful upholstery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Yeah, my back seat might look like Santa's throne in the mall.

I'll keep thinking about my options and hope at least one or two of my springs are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:50 am:

So it seems the 'best solution' turned out to be having the correct springs to start with makes a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Chris,
Considering the "extra usage" your back seat will have; the original backrest springs weren't much to begin with, and the back seat "tub" isn't that heavily reinforced. I would suggest "beefing up" that area of the car; for instance on my '15 I'm adding a piece of "angle iron" (it's not really iron, just a bent piece of heavy-gauge metal) under the wood tack strip. There are other ways to do this and various year-model have different ways the tack strip area was made, so adapt your modification to work with your car's body.
Just a suggestion!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Thank You

I will upholster the bigger springs I have because they are strong and comfy. If I have to switch to stock springs I'll reinforce them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

If anybody wants an update, I am keeping the kids and having it altered to cover my taller cushion springs. Langs is selling me the extra material at a great price of only $25 yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Err... I am keeping the touring interior kit and having the rear seat cover altered to fit my taller cushion springs.

I apologize for the voice to text error that I missed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

What about the kids???
:-)
That's about average for material price. So I take it you're going to sew on "taller" side panels. Be aware this will effect how the backrest cushion sits, as it overlaps the bottom cushion. You may (probably WILL) have to change the backrest springs some.
Ying & Yang; as usual, one thing effects the other.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration