Very odd reverse band. need help .

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Very odd reverse band. need help .
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

I started my first T band change today, everything went well until I loosened the reverse band. The spring was loose but the band was under a lot of tension.When I reached the end of the threads on the nut the band releases violently dropping down and pulling the safety rags and dropping the nut and washer into the transmission. I am now unable to figure what type of quick release ears this band has, and how to release the ear. It just won't budge.Can anyone help? maybe somebody has run into a similar problem or is at least familiar with this style of bands. My next question is will I be able to use a magnet to fish out the nut and washer or am I going to have to remove the hogshead? Thanks in advance for all help. Harv. bandband

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

I can't help with the band question, but I did have to fish a band spring out of my transmission once. Here is how I (and a helper) did it:

I removed the oil drain plug and drained out all the oil. Then, I fished a flexible wand with a magnet on the end up through the oil fill hole until I felt it "click" onto something (the something turned out to be the errant band spring).

While my helper watched from above through the hogshead opening, I pushed the flexible wand up further into the transmission until my helper could see the band spring on the bottom of the transmission pan. Then, I left the flexible magnetic wand and spring in that position and crawled out from under the car.

Then from above, I fished another flexible wand (this one had spring loaded grabbing fingers) to the now-visible band spring and firmly gripped it with the fingers. I was then able to pull the band spring up and out of the hogshead opening.

We both then heaved a giant sigh of relief. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

That type of band should have a slot where you stick in a screwdriver and pry the ear back so it slips off the rivets. The slot is downward in your pictures, below where the washer and nut ride against the ear. Maybe pulling the reverse pedal over to get the threaded shaft out of your way will give you a little more room to work.

Removing the washer and nut, you might get lucky with a magnet on the end of a long wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Here are pictures of the two flexible wands.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

You can also use a large channel lock plyer to squeeze the ear and tab. It should just pop off. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Pull the starter (take off bendix first) and try letting a shop towel wipe the lost parts around to the opening or check the magnets.

Work the two parts to the oil drain hole(they will not pass thru the hole). Get under hook then tie the parts off with a length of soft thin wire (like bell wire). Then feed the other end up around the transmission. From the top slowly pull the lost parts up and out. Go slow so the parts and wire does not get hung up on the starter ring teeth.

If you have a magnet on flexible wand try that first. Go at it slow, I seem to get hung up on the starter ring gear teeth when I try it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

I have a magnet on a fairly long aluminum "wire" that I use to fish errant stuff out of the transmission and is available at NAPA. It isn't springy as the ones Mark used.

MG, there are little hooks on the leading edge of the clips so if you use a screwdriver you lift these hooks over the end of the band to release them. I never tried your plier suggestion, but it sounds like it may also work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

I just looked at the photos again and the screwdriver may not be a choice in this situation, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

I believe if you put a screwdriver against the back of one of those tangs and against something else and take another pry something and push against the edge of the band end towards the tangs the piece will then lift up and off the band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Harvey, you are now a member of a not so exclusive Dropped Something in the Transmission Club. Some really good mechanics are members. Don't panic and don't spend too much time fishing. Plan to pull the hogshead. BUT Before You do drain the oil,remove the starter and have someone turn the crank over. Hopefully a magnet will have picked up the parts and you can get them with a makeshift tool. If you need to go to the next step, get a big glob of axle grease and put it in the bendix hole . Turn the flywheel with that blob lodged on the magnets and hopefully you will pick up the parts. Old mechanic taught me this. If it fails, I am out of Suggestions. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

The clips on that type come off the same way as the button type. I never liked the tab type, don't care what year hogs head they just are too tight to work with. Pop it off with a screw driver then replace with button type if you have them (MOP).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

And for getting the lost hardware out of the Abyss - you're just going to have to flip the old girl on her back & shake the s--t out of her - BTDT !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Drain the oil and remove the starter. Tap on the pan and see if the nut and washer will fall down on the magnets. Slowly crank the engine and see if the nut and washer won't come riding up on the flywheel magnets. If they don't then you can fish thru the drain hole and see if you can find them and push them up against the magnets. If you can fish them out this way then thank Prestley Morris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

I think the above have answered you on both the loss of the nut and washer. And that band is a removable ear band which the ear slips toward the band and unhooks from the band. that kind is very good. Use the screwdriver to start it.

This situation is a good lesson. I have had the same problem in the past and found that it is always very good to stuff rags in all the places that a nut and washer can fall whenever you try to remove a band. The rag will catch anything which falls.

Good luck finding the parts which fell in. Be sure to get them out before you try to drive the car. They can ruin the starter ring, the magneto or the transmission if left in there.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Thanks to all for great advise. I was able to unhook the ear with a screwdriver but only after I used a pry bar to bend the end of the band almost out of the cover hole. The slot was completely under the ear. I will remove the hogs head on Monday, Are there any surprises I should be aware of during removal? I'll call Langs first thing Monday and should have new gaskets by Wednesday. Thanks again. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

You should be able to retrieve the nut and washer without removing the hogs head. There is a good chance they are already riding on a magnet and you can retrieve them thru the starter mount opening.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration