Electronics: Help! I'm in over my head.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Electronics: Help! I'm in over my head.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

I can handle simple stuff like house wiring or following a Model T wiring diagram, but anything more complex gives me advanced MEGO. I've been asked what kind of diode is called for in this magneto battery charger.

The diode I was given is black and has one silver stripe to indicate direction of current flow. On the side of the body is printed:

10 A 10
MIC

I'm guessing this indicates 10 amps. Is that right? What does MIC mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:50 pm:

Steve,

That number is unfamiliar to me.
A photo would help.
The 10 most likely, does not mean 10 Amps.
It looks like a house number or it could be a series of diodes I am not familiar with.
Sorry :-(

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

My NTE Semiconductor cross reference book tells me that it is indeed a 10 amp diode, and the silver stripe is the cathode and should be connected to the 1156 bulb, the other end is the anode and connects to the magneto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

FOUND IT !!!

10 DOES mean 10 Amps.
MIC is the manufacturer.
http://micindia.com:8080/micindia/productSearch.jsp?index=5&prodCat=&prodSubCat1=&prodSubCat2=&partNo=10A10

BeZero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

A is faster than Be :-)

Be_Zerto_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

The 10A10 is a part number, crosses over to a NTE 5812HC, MIC is a manufacturer number

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 01:15 am:

So, let me get this straight, .... if six were equal to nine, but still retaining a value higher
than five, what is it the square root of orange ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 02:11 am:

Lemon. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 02:14 am:

On page 28 of the MTFCA Electrical System book, John Regan shows the set up. The diode it calls for is a 1N5402 200v at 3 amps (Radio Shack p/n 276-1143).

Of course it was published in 1987, so you might need to cross reference part numbers...

I made one of these and ran it for years and years back when my pre-generator 1919 had a distributor. I put the charging system inside the empty coil box!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Is that a Zener (sic) diode? Allows flow in one direction only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Charlie B,

A zener diode is specially manufactured to have a specific voltage drop, from 2.4 to 200 volts, typically used for stable voltage reference. A standard rectifier diode like in this application will have a drop of 0.6 volts. So a zener would not be recommended.

Most all diodes allow current flow in one direction only, however there are some exceptions and I won't go into that here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Aw come on "A" ... tell us about bi-directional TVS Diodes. :-) :-) :-) LOL.

Be_Zero_Be

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration