Running board toolboxes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Running board toolboxes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 07:32 am:

I'm wondering if there was ever a Ford toolbox that mounted on the running board outside the fake driver's door for my 1924 touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Ford never supplied any tool boxes. But it was very common for owners to buy accessory tool boxes to mount where you describe. Corcoran made most of these boxes and they made lots of them. You can find them for sale everywhere from $35 - $100 depending on condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:02 am:

I agree with Royce on prices. But there are bargains to be had. I've paid $30 and $40. But I also bought a very good box at a farm auction for $6.

I bought this one at Chickasha for $5. It was being used as a container for chassis parts. It was rusty, had some dents, and a corner of the lid was split. A local body shop stitched up the split good as new, for the perfect price. I did the other body work and the painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Steve, Love the clap on running board box!!! Does it look factory made or is it something someone added running board luggage clamp accessories to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Ford did indeed supply a tool box. If you happen to have a 1915 Ford Accessory book, it is listed in there. My own thoughts are, I don't care for them. I have a '13 roadster with a perfect running board, that a former owner drilled several holes to mount it. I had the holes welded up, and will be restoring the running board back to original soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Jay, the clamps are home made. I didn't like the idea of making extra holes in the running board, and I wanted to be able to move the box from one car to another easily.

I made some for my can carrier too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Steve - Seems strange to me that this comes up right now, as I was just thinking the other day, that you mentioned some time ago that you were working on a "mount" that could allow easy transfer of tool box from one car to another. Also thought you said you'd post details of that when you had completed same. Is that simply a length of strap iron, "hooked" around edge of running board and small bolt for "set screws" underneath? I still think it's a great idea and as your photos show,....really look great too,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Ohhh yess! Great pics!

My search begins!

By the way, this past week I searched for an era correct oiler can. I have not found a Ford oiler can for a reasonable price yet, but my wife is going to kill me if she sees the dozens of cans I have ordered so far. I think I'm going to have to try to find an oil can forum to identify them. Ha! My poor wife is so right about complaining me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

My toolbox came with a few holes already drilled in the bottom, but only one of them will line up with any bolts in the running board. So I took the rear running board bracket bolts out, put a longer bolt in one to clamp it down, then drilled up through the bracket and running board into the bottom of the toolbox. No new holes in the running board, and the bottom of the box was already pretty well trashed so what's another hole? Looks like it belongs there, and I can pull it off and replace the bottom if I ever decide I need to.

I have a second toolbox that I bought at a swap meet pretty cheap. I don't need it, so I take it with me when we set up at swap meets. If anybody needs it more than me, I'll make a little money. If not, I still have an extra box laying around in case I need one someday.

While we're on the subject of toolboxes, where is the most popular place to mount them? I have mine on the back side of the passenger side running board, as it's out of the way and still easily accessible on my roadster pickup. I thought about putting it on the driver's side by the "door" but then I'd have to make a lap around the car every time I needed a tool. Since most of the engine adjustments are on the passenger side, it made sense to put it there. Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

The tool box on my car was mounted using only the two rear running board bolts. No extra holes were made in the running boards.

The box doubled as a foot step to get into the rumble seat. Problem is that the last step was on top of the rear fender and there was no protection so the fender just got a little scratched. Don't yet know how I'm going to configure everything now that the fenders are nicely painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Harold, you're right. I just haven't got around to posting pictures yet.

Jared, my choice is the same as yours. Tool box on the passenger side, gas cans opposite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

That's a nice clean installation! I love that it is also a step into the rumble seat, too. Henry wishes he had thought of that one.

I have a touring car and hope to have brides entering the passenger rear, so I'm planning to "hide" my tools on the other side blocking my fake door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Eric,

I also like your silver wheels. That seems like a better alternative to whitewalls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Eric,
It requires drilling a hole in your fender, but you might consider a Model A '29 square aluminum step plate for rumble seat access. The '30-31 version is round and less "T" like. (IMHO)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Ralph Zajicek of Z head fame designed and built a tool tray that slid under the running board. He fitted one on each side of the car. I think design information for them was given to Texas T Parts but none of them were ever produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Most (but not all) of the running-board toolboxes I've run into have been in pretty rough shape. _You only get what you pay for. _Big boxes are easier to find than the little ones, particularly the smallest of those which are sometimes referred to as "battery boxes." _My personal preference has been for boxes that were tall rather than wide because I needed some remaining space on the running-board for my and my passengers' feet, and this was especially important to my 90-year-old Dad.

After searching online for about two years, I finally located what appeared to be a restorable battery box. _

It was a bit rough and rusty and didn't have a key for the lock, but figuring it would take a long time to find a really clean box—which would cost an arm and a leg—I made the purchase for something like $175 plus shipping. _I had it sandblasted for $40 and bought some primer and paint, so maybe I had $240 invested by the time everything was done. _Okay, that felt a little pricey, but it looked good and, surprisingly, was large enough to hold two sets of crescent wrenches, a socket wrench kit, a couple of pliers and dikes, two vice-grips, a handful of screw-drivers, knee-pads, a flashlight, reading glasses & sunglasses, a snake-bite kit (hey, ya never know), an oil can, brass polish, rags, paper towels, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Okay, I was kidding about the snake-bite kit, but all that other stuff did fit in there with room to spare, but then I realized it was ridiculous to be hauling all that heavy junk around and off-loaded at least half of it. _The little battery box is big enough.

Well, as luck would have it, right after I bolted the box to the running-board, I went to Hershey and spotted a perfect, flawless, pristine, mint condition battery box—with a frikkin' key—tagged with an a pre-haggling price of $200.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Wow, but it looks great.

I need to find a calendar of Model T swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

This isn't a calendar, but swap meets where you're likely to find Model T stuff include: Iola, WI, July; Hershey, PA, October; Chickasha, OK, March; Bakersfield, CA, April; Luray, VA, May; Richmond, IN, June. You can look up the dates online. There are lots of other meets, but these are some of the most likely ones. The Homecoming meet in Richmond is small, but almost all Model T. Hershey has other stuff, but is so incredibly huge that it probably has more T stuff than any of the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:33 am:

A variation on mounting the boxes. I don't like drilling extra holes either, so I bolt on a base board using the two rear running board bolts. Then the toolbox is screwed to the base board!

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 05:44 am:

Don't forget the Long Beach Model T swap meet July 23rd in Los Alamitos, CA.

Chris - I also started out simply looking for a Ford can to mount under the hood .....it's addictive

Cans 1

Cans 2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration