Flywheel balancing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Flywheel balancing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

When you fellows balance a flywheel on a mandrel setting on two knife edges what procedure do you use? Do you drill some material just on the heavy side or do you split the heavy side with more then one drill location?
I tried hanging little weights on the light side to get a feel for the balance point with questionable results. Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks,
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

With a knife edge you need to have the blades parallel to each other and level as you can. I have a knife edge that I made and use. I just use two transmission shafts, one on each side. On the one I have been working on, I got the flywheel as close as I could without the magnets first then I will go back and check with the magnets. I remove material as I find the heavy point.
When all is said and done, I go back and fine a late 26/27 fully machined flywheel and go from there. They don't seem to need nearly as much work, if any, then the early ones. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

These two pictures show how the flywheel is mounted on a mandrel and in balancing machine.
it would be hard to do so with the knife edges if you've never balanced anything before.

Be best to take it to a shop and have them do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

This is what I am using, a motorcycle-wheel balancer picked up from eBay for less than $200.

I balanced the flywheel first and now have the magnets on. It is pretty close but will take it to the machine shop for final balance.

Those 2 holes were drilled by me

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration