Is this a tire pump?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is this a tire pump?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Krug on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

I bought this from a man that said it was a tire pump used at gas stations.

It is marked The Cleveland Faucet Company. The only thing I can find on it is that it is a beer pump, used in saloons.

Does anyone know if they were ever used as a tire pump.

Tire pump or beer pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

The No. 20 is for beer - it appears to have a valve. The No. 30 is for tires - it appears to have taller cylinders than the No. 20 and no valve.

Based on a casual Google books search, my opinion is your pump has the shorter cylinders and is for pressurizing beer kegs.

If you open the links and use the zoom function in Google books for ease of reading.

BEER

https://books.google.com/books?id=N-k1AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA783&dq=%22cleveland+faucet%22+pump&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi58ZiIy9jNAhWhx4MKHeXUCGg4HhDoAQgpMAM#v=onepage&q=%22cleveland%20faucet%22%20pump&f=false

TIRES

https://books.google.com/books?id=LmwfAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA649&dq=%22cleveland+faucet%22+pump&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNwu7nytjNAhXC64MKHaghBDI4FBDoAQgpMAE#v=onepage&q=%22cleveland%20faucet%22%20pump&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Then again, yours doesn't have a valve so maybe it is a tire pump.

I did some more Googling and some folks say they were also used for diving suit pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Krug on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

I am beginning to think they had a number of uses. I had it at a swap meet today and a gentleman insisted it was a diving pump.
I am still studying the information you have provided, but it does seem to be the no. 30.

Thanks Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

i will look at mine tomorrow and see what mine is. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Krug on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Charley, does yours have a number on it? I can't find a number on mine. But here is a better photo.
Does it look like yours?

Cleveland Faucet Co. Pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:37 am:

no # or name, looks like yours , stands 51" from floor to tip of handle. hose fitting are different than yours.base is some what different also. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration