Hood off or on in the parade

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hood off or on in the parade
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

What do most of the drivers do to prevent overheating in a very very slow parade with lots of waiting behind bands etc...
Under normal cruising I don't have a problem, but tomorrow worries me a bit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

If you have a good radiator no problem. If you have a bad radiator removing the hood won't help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

Just like Royce said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 08:45 am:

The T's I've seen in parades haven't had their hood removed. It all comes back around to the radiator when it comes to cooling.
The radiator on your car looks like its a new radiator in your profile picture. You shouldn't have any problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:44 am:

In stead of driving in a straight line, we drive our cars around each other so the cars keep moving. I think the crowd likes it as well. Go slow and don't run over the crowd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Test it out idling and driving really slow down a back street or empty parking lot a week or two before the parade. A real life experiment will tell you the answer.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:11 am:

I think if your radiator is working correctly you would be fine. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Run the throttle at a fast idle. Go with the hand brake half back and advance ahead using foot on low band. The advice above applies mostly to 17 and later cars, they forget your radiator is a lot smaller than the later T'so. Put some Water Wetter in the radiator, it really does help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:56 am:

On an air-cooled engine, it's important to keep the hood closed so the baffling can direct the flow of air where it's supposed to go, but when it comes to a liquid cooled engine, once the air gets through the radiator and picks up its heat, you might as well let it out. _Hot air rises, so when you open or remove your hood, some hot air will go up and out and the engine itself will be able transfer some of its heat to the now cooler air around it through radiation—to an extent. _Opening up the hood may not help very much, but it couldn't hurt.

Two other things you can do to enhance cooling are: Enrich the mixture as much as the engine will take without running badly and advance the timing to the same degree. _Retarded timing or a lean mixture WILL cause your engine to run hotter, so do the opposite. _Obviously, start your day with the radiator filled to the tippy top (and just let the system blow out the excess).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Carry a bottle of water with a spray head and mist the radiator when it starts to get hot.

You will be surprised at how quickly the temp drops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I posted my question too late to look at all the responses. Made it thru the parade with only one boil over at block 4! Seems the parade directors don't realize it is important to put us up front so we can move at a faster pace than the band that stops to play a tune...or 3!
Northern MN has never seen Mardi Gras beads before so it was a big treat over tons of candy...everyone loves a vintage T...only the guys knew the rules and flashed the young lady riding with me...I really enjoy sharing with others my excitement of owning a 1915 Brass Roadster...however, it will be the 600 hp 69 Mach 1 at the show tomorrow night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

How would your Mach 1 handle a parade like that? ;-) NOT the point at all.
Would you tell about your throttle and timing settings during the parade with your T?
I am truly interested.
When I paraded my crappy little Ford a bit south of you (ten years ago in Central MN), I actually ran it with both ears up most of the time and only pushed the pedal when needed. Never had a boil. But I do have a non Ford fan......
Granted, I have a wheel chock (water pump-it was all I had) under the hood but with a rad coated with silicone and acrylic latex caulk keeping the water in, that has been given the baking soda treatment and a very original '19 engine (wore out).
Greg, those beads caused quite a stir didn't they? Good fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:42 am:

A bottle of water with spay will do nothing. You could use the water in the bottle to refill your T after it cools off a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 10:20 am:

This is what I found yesterday. We started up the engines and drove to where the parade would start. Mine was idling for about 10 minutes and the motometer was about half way up (below the circle). We didn't start moving, so I turned off the engine and we waited about 5 minutes more. By then the motometer was almost to the top. We started up again and drive the two mile parade route. The wind was from the side, so not much direct air into the radiator except what the fan provided. For the entire route the motometer was about "normal summer temperature" After the parade we went down the strand to Imperial Beach and it dropped to about half way up again.

So, I should have turned off the engine until we were ready to go. Or left it idling. Turning it off for 5 minutes actually caused the heat to rise because no air circulation.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:55 am:

The water temp showing at the moto meter goes up when the engine is shut off, normal. Sounds like you did jut fine. :-) My take on keeping the hood closed, the fan has a better chance of blowing the air over the WHOLE engine not just the front and out the sides might even be better with the pans installed. Even at idle my fan seems to move a good amount of air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:57 am:

This guy obviously thought it would help, though he is towing a wagon.
wagon T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:02 am:

I did the big local 4th of July parade for one of my local towns. Lasted a little over and hour start to finish with temps in the low-80's. The car was fine and motometer barely touched the lower third of the circle. But it was a little toasty driving the thing for me with all that heat heading back into the driver's compartment. My biggest challenges on the day were staying vigilant so I didn't run over any kids diving for candy, and avoiding skewering the Boy Scouts marching in close order drill ahead of me with the starting crank. All told; lots of fun though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:25 am:

"My biggest challenges on the day were staying vigilant so I didn't run over any kids diving for candy"

Interesting to see that mentioned. This is precisely why I won't do parades. I witnessed a near-miss once and that spoiled it for me. Throwing candy in the street is a foolish practice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Before the parade I did top off the cooking system so expected a coolant loss at some point...with no water pump it stays hot most of the idle time. I did keep the idle a bit higher than normal to move air with the fan. The timing was advanced half or better, I just listened to the engine!
When we got out of the car, we left a puddle of sweat on the seat...whew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

If you ever decide to drive in a parade without a hood, be sure to inspect your fan for cracks before! If your fan decides to toss a blade, the hood keeps it contained. (Don't ask me how I know this, and it was in a parade) No hood with a crowd of people lining both sides of the street would not be pretty if a fan blade were to let go. I can imagine the headlines now...

Sorry if this comes across as "The sky is falling", but....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration