My first trailer-what to look for.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My first trailer-what to look for.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Are there any links for advice on purchasing a trailer for my 14? And which brands have living quarters in the front.
And yes,best advice for it not getting stolen. Maybe buy a yellow one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Spend the extra money on good quality 10 ply tires. The cheapie LT radials that come standard on most trailers are not good for many miles before they start shredding and blowing out.

I have been pleased with my Haulmark brand trailer. Wells Cargo is another good brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Interstate Cargo is yet another excellent quality trailer. Might as well pony up what few extra bucks necessary to get it tall enough to fit a car in with the top up. Regardless, you definitely want at least an 8 foot wide trailer. The 7 footers are just too tight to get around the car when inside the trailer. Some trailers are built on a 4" frame, I would not recommend buying one of those. I think they'd be a bit flimsy. Minimum 16' also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:46 am:

How tall should the trailer be so that I can get the 14 in with the top up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Gary;
I've had 2 trailers. The first one was 8x20x7.5. They didn't have 8.5 trailers then.
My trailer I have now is a 8.5x20x7.5 high. Get a 7.5 tall trailer so your '14 will clear without putting the top down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Gary,

Contact Tim at Colony Cargo LLC in Fitzgerald, GA.

I have bought my last (3) enclosed trailers from Tim.

They are made by Arising Industries also in Fitzgerald, GA.

I have been to the manufacturing facility many times to visit.

Their trailers have a full perimeter tube steel frame that is
joined to the sidewalls with steel plates.

Tim can have a truly custom trailer built to your specific needs.

Regarding rear door height - measure your T with the top
up & add 6 inches minimum to determine minimum rear door clearance.

Consider an adjustable & removable bulldog hitch,
a trailer wheel boot, an interior trailer jack.

Tim may have other ideas .....

The best deterrent to theft is time & money spent sending
a prospective thief elsewhere rather than trying to locate
your trailer once it has been stolen.

So - for security when parked - back your trailer against an
object so the rear door cannot be opened - remove the bulldog tongue - lower the jack so it almost touches the ground - boot at least one wheel - place an immovable object in front of the hitch - you are good to go.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

If you really want the living quarters up front, PM Dan Hatch. I can't remember the brand of trailer he has but it will do what you are looking for. It is also tall enough to put a car in with the top up. He isn't selling his trailer, but can point you in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Jim
What is a bulldog tongue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Richard,

It is a section of heavy duty 4 inch channel mounted vertically at the front of the trailer tongue.

It has pre-drilled holes along the length, you install a manufacturer supplied coupler that is adjustable to suit the towing height of your vehicle.

By removing two bolts and the coupler, your trailer cannot be towed.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

I bought a new trailer from Cargo South located in Ocilla, GA just south of Fitzgerald, Ga.
The quality isn't as good as the one I bought a few yrs ago in northern Indiana. I am trying to remember the brand. Pace America is the brand. Memory not like it used to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Bulldog type have alligator snapper turtle like jaw over the hitch ball.

http://www.etrailer.com/A-Frame-Trailer-Coupler/Bulldog/BD028499.html?feed=npn&g clid=CP710Kar2s0CFcYkhgodHGoGaA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Thanks Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Gary: Here is my trailer that John was talking about.

This was taken at Hershey a few years ago. It is a Work Play, 34 foot 5th wheel. I like it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

It seems everyone is jumping past some obvious things to look for, like say ....
wheels.

Trailers without wheels are a real drag, tough on fuel economy, and the sparks
are a real fire hazard in the dry west in summer.

Square wheels are really rough on ride and the contents of the trailer. Elliptical
wheels are a little better, but still, I think that round had proven itself the best
overall design.

Another basic item to consider is construction materials. Imagine a trailer made
or ramen noodles, crystal, or gummy bears. Steel and aluminum alloys have proven
superior for load capacity and durability.

I could go on ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

On a serious note, many wildfires started in the summertime begin when people lose a wheel or a bearing off a trailer seizes.

Last summer in Utah along I - 15 two separate wildfires were started by one wheel coming off of one trailer.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Gary - here is my take on the whole trailer thing:

Buy one with an extra foot of height and at least 8 or 8.5 feet wide. Skimping on size will prove to be a huge pain later.

Get one a little bigger than you think you need

Go and look closely at the unit - big name companies make crap too. I ordered one brand new from US Cargo and it looked like pre-schoolers had built it. I had nothing but problems with it. I now have a Car Mate and am impressed with it.

Rubber torsion axles seem to tow better than springs

Spend the money on good tires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

When we went shopping for an enclosed trailer we made drawings of all the cars and motorcycles wrote in the dimensions, took a measuring tape, pencil, extra pad of paper and a camera. Then we went to several trailer lots. Most leave their trailers open even if the business is closed. We went through a passel of trailers, measured, made notes and compared. We visualized where we might place things so we had room. We upsized to the next length so we'd be happy. We'll be ordering soon. But deciding took about a month.

On the open trailer I have Maxxis tires and I am very happy with them. I carry 2 spares and a spare set of wheel bearings. When I stop for gas I check wheel/axle temp with a temp gun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Where does one buy a temp gun?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Gary - Harbor Freight Tools. Less than $25 bucks when on sale. Not a whole lot more than that when NOT on sale!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration