Outlet connection pipe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Outlet connection pipe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Did any of the early brass T's use a brass outlet pipe from the radiator or were they all black originally? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Brass is rust proof!

Here is a powder coated steel one with peeling powder coat from the substrate steel inside rusting away.

Get the brass one and paint it black on the outside :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Coolant is very tough on finishes---even powdercoat. I have powder coat finishes stay on but severely discolor if in constant contact with coolant. My experience is if the coating comes off, it was not 100% clean bare metal on the inside or the coating was not applied in sufficient thickness and evenly through out the inside of the tube. On little nick, spot not sufficiently covered or rust pocket or pit left on the inside would cause the peeling coating.

And I agree, buy the brass and paint it black or color of your choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Didn't know a brass one is available.

I bought the steel one from the vendors years ago. Last time I had it apart, it had a good deal of corrosion, especially at the ends.

What would be a good paint to coat the outside with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

All I'll use now is the brass radiator lower pipe.

You can paint with anything over the brass, that pipe stays cool, but engine paint is OK, this one I did in a spatter style of different paints to have the brass concealed for Nellie, the rusty barn T. :-)

Here is the typical steel pipe, rusty inside that clogs the radiator too.

As far as powder coat on those lower pipes, guess the coolant eats the power coat, or what causes it to lift off. Bad news, as that paint clogs the radiator tubes, yuk!

This one is vendor bought with black powder coat, and it's faking off on the inside.

Replaced with all brass pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

PVC pipe works just fine, it only gets slightly warm. Just paint it black so it won't look funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

I use satin black Rustoleum, just like the rest of the chassis.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration