The Need for a Transmission Screen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The Need for a Transmission Screen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

I curiously started my T without the transmission cover in place and noticed that the brake band receives almost no oil at idle. One can appreciate the screen upgrade that helps distribute oil.

Wouldn't the band need oil the most when it's in use (throttled back and stopping)?

https://youtu.be/3yK1jS_C-SM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

That's a good reason for the transmission screen, helps distribute oil and catches any large debris that could clog the internal oil line too.

https://youtu.be/k04SQCpuxWw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Dan
U must of had a plastic cover when the engine was running

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

The only issue I had, which I researched later and found similar complaints, was that the screen can actually force more oil out your fourth main if it is a little worn. Here is a pic of my modded screen and now my issue with excessive oil running out the forth main has been reduced back to the same before I installed the screen.

Other than that, yes it does seem to direct oil better. (also note this is on my doodlebug that has an exposed u-joint, so leakage at the forth main is more pronounced and noticed right away than a stock T drive shaft tube ball).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

So, Chad. Your oil holes don't ride in a trough, but rather at the top of a peak... same with mine. What's the reason for this? Is it to channel debris away from the bands and down into the filter/screen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Wendell, I was just noticing that as I was attaching the pic. I don't know if it is peaked, or just the way the pic was taken. What I can say is my screen before and after modification has stayed clean (of course the engine is very broken in). I did add a larger magnet that is towards the bottom. The smaller top one is what came with it--the magnets do collect some fine particles every time I look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Chad, the shadows in your photo certainly make it look like it's domed up, as with mine... it must be deliberate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Richard, yes, placed a piece of glass over it while going to fast idle. Otherwise oil would have gone out and onto my camera lens!

Chad.

Interesting idea, cutting the mesh. Haven't had any problems with excess oil. But, every one of the vendor screens I have now, I drilled more holes in the deflector panel. That normally has just 4 rather small holes. Enlarged them to get more of the oil to drop over the band linings is helpful IMO.

Some extra holes added.

Original holes enlarged.

Seems the period oil deflectors used bit bigger holes or more holes too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Dan, I actually got the idea looking at pictures while searching the forum after I added the screen and saw more oil coming out the 4th main. It is not totally sealed, I may redo the entire screen area over so that it is sealed on the edges, but the bottom line is it cured my issue and I still get to keep the screen.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration