KIDS!!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: KIDS!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

What kinds of activities are you folks doing to involve kids in the T hobby?

Kids ARE the future of our hobby and we would like to get them more involved. Unfortunately for us we have few members with kids!

All ideas gratefully appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

I work on my Model T's with the garage doors open or out in front of the shop and always take time to talk to the kids when they stop by. I go to car shows and other "get togethers" and let the kids sit in the cars and hit the horn button and answer their questions. When the teens come around and ask to borrow tools to work on their vehicles I'm more than willing to loan them. But trust me I know where the tools are going and when I expect them back. I open my shop to them when it's cold or wet outside and they need a dry place to work. When asked I give them rides around the trailer park in the touring car because it's the most fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Michael that's really cool. We had what I said when I was in my teens a old man (50s not so old now) who always talked to us and showed us his old cars. He had a 48 Chrysler, 56 Chevy, 39 Chevy, edsel and a 25 T. He had a big house and a bigger garage. My wife and I went for a drive in the model T a few months ago and I went by his house, I think I really expected he would be out there 90+ years old tinkering. The house isn't as nice now and no sign of him or his cars anymore. I assume I am that guy in my neighborhood now but the kids around here do not pay any attention to the old cars. So yes the kids that take interest in our hobby sure need good car people to tell them about our hobby. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:41 am:

I learned Max (2.5 years) to repair Coils to start with.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Good ideas. Our club is quite "rural". There are NO kids within 4 miles of my home let alone sidewalks!

We do parades etc and are in the process of creating an informational flier that doubles as a membership application. It is filled with pictures and a short history of T's.

Our cars are never off-limits to picture takers of all ages.

Keep the ideas coming!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Same situation here. Out in the sticks with no kids near and almost no foot traffic. But I drive a T to town more than the modern car, and often have folks shoot pictures of their kids in the car. Sometimes the interested parties get a ride.

It mystifies me that so many people have Model T's but never drive them. There have to be at least dozen in this county (population only about 36,000), but I never see any but mine being driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:31 am:

We are 10 miles out of town and take them pretty regularly. Always get the "looks and waves" but I drive for my own enjoyment.

Still, none of us want to see the hobby die out. We lost a couple of members last year and their children and or grandchildren get one year free membership as a result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:36 am:

ICE CREAM
ICE CREAM
ICE CREAM

We take the T to get ice cream.
When we stop the girls have a great time telling people about the car.

It has gotten a bit out of hand because when we take folks for a ride in the neighborhood one of the girls will always say, "When do we stop for ice cream?"

Like Steve, I sometimes meet people that say they have a T but are afraid to drive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:41 am:

My strategy is to use my truck as much as possible, making it seen by passersby
and occasionally generating interest. It gets lots of smiles, honks, and thumbs-up,
but those folks probably won't, or are not yet ready to advance to the point of
considering ownership. That takes a special kind of looney. :-)

We have a unique situation for T owners here in Spokanistan .... the Antique Auto
Ranch. I cannot think of a better example of "walking the walk" for promoting interest
in Model T ownership than how the guys down at The Ranch approach it. Besides
having just about any possible part a person might need for a T (and many other cars),
they open their shop to all comers every Tuesday night and between the staff and other
old dogs hanging around, a greenhorn can learn anything they might want to know about
the Model T just by showing up and asking questions/watching what the others are working
on. Even a real nutcase who likes TT's can find direction and help !

While I have no direct insight into who has followed up on it, when I do encounter the
occasional person that seems like they might be swayed to the dark side, I tell them how
easy T ownership is and how fortunate we are in my area to have an asset like The Ranch.
Whether a person wants to build a Montana 500 racer or just know how to put Grampa's
old roadster back together, it's as easy as just showing an interest and showing up on
Tuesday nights. You will usually find 5-10 T's parked out front and after a few hours the
group moves down the road to a nearby McDonald's to eat some salted grease and
socialize, where a noobie can further immerse themselves in the scene.

I do lots of picture-taking with the truck and occasionally take someone for a ride.
Making the fun of T ownership obvious and pointing interested parties toward our good
resources is how I try to promote by attraction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:53 am:

At cruise-ins I sometimes let the young boys try to turn the crank (Ignition off key in pocket). It is an amazing thing to watch, then I make sure their parents get a picture of them in the car. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration