Going racing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Going racing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

We are getting ready to race at Rancho Santa Margarita this weekend at the FAST time trials. Spent the last week dealing with engine/transmission alignment issues. Today I reworked the Nissan dual ignition distributor for thirty degrees advance at 3500 rpm. Test drive was frightening. We are going to show the model A guys that we can beat them with model T power. Fast Frank, we are dedicating this effort to you, Billy Poobah, and the glory days of the Long Beach Hill Climb. A couple of pics, one of the car and one of the black marks it laid in my driveway before I had to back out of the throttle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Erik that is truly a wild cherry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:41 am:

Go get-em Erik, Here is the original Wild Cherry with Chris at the wheel in 1958

Wild Cherry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Yes it's back to where we had it the first day we got running scary is what it is I "ve been telling this to Eric since we got it back with the carbs in the right mode. (Such as the accelerator pump working ) And few other tricks frank madieros did to the car Like the 02 sensor Tires is now going to be the issue. Keeping them from burning off the line Eric and I have been talking about this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 01:08 am:

You could have not put it any better of a way Eric. And frank love the picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Robert and I built this car in the spirit of the original Wild Cherry. I did not realize it made the Long Beach climb in 1958, I thought it was 1962. Either way, it completely changed the hill climb forever. It was light as can be, powerful as could be made, and that's it. The Wild Cherry II follows those lines but must adhere to the rules outlined by FAST. We have to have four wheel brakes, minimum wheel base measurement, and cannot set the engine back significantly from stock Ford specs. Also, to race with our local FAST chapter, you must be able to seat two people, so we made room for that. We have a roll bar and five point racing harness for the driver. This is not currently required but soon will be, we believe. This scores us points with the tech inspection guys,
Frank, this Is possible because we bought the Gemsa engines from you. Chris, Joe, and LaRue will be watching us at the race. We are doing it for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 02:00 am:

Here is a real old picture of Chris before he moved the radiator back. Look at that radiator hose and the gas tank made out of what looks like a fire extinguisher. Notice no rear spring to save weight.

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Hi Erik, when I read the FAST rules on the web site I don't see the stuff you are talking about. Are there more detailed rules somewhere else? Thanks, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Went back and looked at the rules again and see some of the stuff. Guess I need to make some phone calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Amazing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

I wonder what is considered "all stock, as original"? Does that mean original factory babbitt, or can it be rebabbitted? Can you grind your crankshaft undersize? Mill the head? Etc, etc...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

The FAST guys don't worry much about internal engine parts. They classify cars according to flathead or overhead, and full bodied cars, modified fender-less, trucks, or speedsters. They are much more concerned with ensuring the cars are safe for the drivers and spectators. They invite racers to list modifications to their cars so the announcer can tell the crowd what is racing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Erik that great safety first.
I thought different groups had different guideline?
Like one group was more strict to what was allowed.
I could be wrong here but I heard this. Just wish I lived closer so I could join you Robert sounds like a blast
Best of luck go cream those A bones

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration