Parking brake rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Parking brake rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

I am puzzled, my car is a 20 body with a 26 rear end. I replaced the brake linings and can't get the brake adjusted properly.

The brake lever used to rest forward virtually against the wall and the clevises were run up to make the rods nearly as short as they can go.

With the new linings I adjusted to as long as they go and the lever is fully 5 inches back. If I force the lever forward the brake cams push it back again.

I get it that thicker bands would make it want a longer rod but from one extreme to the other and still be this far off?

The rods are the crooked stile (at the fixed clevis end), I know that is for pre '26 but they haven't changed.

Is there any difference in the cross member that actually drives the rods? What is this part actually called.

What am I missing?

BTW if I tried to buy a coupling to extend the rod can someone tell me the size and thread count at the clevis?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Your rods are adjusted too long. Try this, take out the clevis pins and push the lever as far forward as you can. Then adjust the rods to the length that the clevis pins will just slip in without pulling or pushing anything. Next, drive slowly and stop by pulling the parking brake lever. If it pulls to one side, shorten the opposite side by one half turn at a time until it stops straight.

It might seem strange, but lengthening the rods will actually pull the lever back rather than forward.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

BTW,thread size is 5/16-#24 thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 03:53 am:

I am confused. Norman K may be right. He usually is. But if you have installed new linings, and they are thicker than the worn linings that you replaced? Then you should need a shorter brake rod than you did before, and Norman should be right. On the other hand. If I am misunderstanding something. And somehow your brake rod has somehow (shoe fit?) become too short? A likely scenario is that because you have earlier brake rods on an earlier car along with a later rear end which requires shorter brake rods because the larger brake drum and backing plates moved the cam lever forward? Someone years ago likely cut the earlier brake rods to fit the old brakes and may have cut them a bit too much, leaving you short now.
So step back, rethink it, and look it over closely to figure where the error is. Either it will be a simple adjustment (like Norman K points out), or report back here with more details.
And to answer one of your questions, the brake handle position remained the same throughout the years relative to the engine and the clutch levers. Its position did not change for the later improved Ts.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 07:24 am:

What I did was to remove both rods at the cross piece, (to find brake UN-engaged) set lever 1/2 back (but in neutral), and tried to adjust the clevis to fit. It wanted to be longer

Yes the new linings are thicker than the old.

Gotta work today, I'll take this up again tonight

Thanks

Ben

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Note. When you push the lever all the way forward, the clevis will be farther back. When you pull the lever back the clevis will be farther forward. Therefore you want the rods to fit with the lever forward, you must shorten the rods. If they are too long they will push the clevis forward which will pull the lever back. With this condition, you will not have high gear. If you adjust them as I have posted above, you will have no tension on the brake when you are in high gear, but when you pull back on the lever it will apply the brake. Although the rods will begin to pull when you are in neutral, it will not be far enough to apply the brake.

Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration