July-What did you do on/with your T today?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: July-What did you do on/with your T today?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

I've been enjoying a lot of pleasurable miles on my T so far summer. But unfortunately a couple nights ago and two miles from home, I blew a head gasket. I was able to baby her home. Today, I tackled the job of draining fluids, pulled the head, cleaned everything, as well as the plugs, and put back together with a new gasket.

Attempting the initial start up, nothing. I scratched my head a few times thinking it wasn't getting any "fire." But I'm not a true believer in coincidence. So thinking fluidly, I opened the drain on the carb bowl and holy cow! About a cup of green juice flowed freely. :-) The only fuel I had on hand in the tank was some 100LL so when I started seeing blue, I locked the drain. Climbed back in, hit the starter, and purrrr.....

If I can figure this out, here's a few pic's of my enjoyment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

I must confess, this antiquated format is a pain in the arse when it comes to "downsizing" photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Hmm, the other day I wanted to post about two meters I bought. So, took them out of their boxes, set them on the table, got out the camera, took two pics (first one the flash went off and you couldn't see the meter faces), took the memory card out, put it in the printer slot, downloaded the one pic to my computer. Took the card out and back in the camera (before I forget to do that!). Opened the file folder where I put the pic, made a copy of the good pic, opened the copy in MS Photo Editor, cropped the pic, then compressed it "for Web" and was ready to post it here. 7 minutes tops, from start to finish. Took longer to upload it to this site than to do the changes (I'm on slow dial-up!).
Now I'm no computer whiz, but I just don't think it's that hard to post here!
here's that pic (2 minutes to upload, whew! Internet is fast tonight!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:17 am:

Yesterday I finally readjusted the high speed link on my '19 Touring which I'd put off long enough.
I STILL say the diagram should state "A half hole short" instead of play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 09:18 am:

I know the process David and I'm using an iPad instead of a pc. Also, my camera is 12 megapixel which makes a difference-a lot lager than 250 kilobytes. Thanks for the detailed description of how you do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 09:34 am:

I know the process David and I'm using an iPad instead of a pc. Also, my camera is 12 megapixel which makes a difference-a lot lager than 250 kilobytes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Chris,
I use a Kodak Z990 12megapixel camera. However, I'm not as modern as an IPad. the closest I get to that is on Talk Like a Pirate Day when I wear an I-patch! :-)
However, it looks like you succeeded in posting some photos!
One advantage I had is that the computer is only a few feet from the kitchen table. When I finish the house remodel, that won't be the case. Hmm, maybe I should rethink the remodel plans. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I had a couple 600lb. rocks to move from a cutter out at the state line to a job in Cheney,
some 35 miles away. Got up early and made the 70+ mile round trip in about 5 hours, including
loading, unloading, some on-site work, and lunch. The roads were good, the scenery wonderful,
and the truck ran great. I stopped and adjusted the bands along the way, but other than that,
it was just another working day for the old truck. :-)

It was a steady downgrade as I followed the river into town, but the upgrade out Sunset Hill
got the old beast good and hot, so I stopped and cooled it down with some water I carry along.
Out on the West Plains it was easy sailing and the truck felt like it was still 1926 along this road.

The old abandoned trolley line to Cheney crosses the road just behind the truck. It is as left
in 1939, ready for a little ballast, ties, and rail and a trolley car.

After the load was dropped and placed, I headed home on the old Marshall Road. This was
one of the early roads into Spokane from the SW and by-passed in 1950. The AT&T mainline
still stands along the right of way, now devoid of the eight crossarms full of glass it once carried.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Love seeing that TT at work! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Any day in a T is a good day, even a workday! :-)
Love those back roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Burger, very cool to see a T working like that. Awesome. TT s are one of my favorites. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Gents,

With all due respect to the hobby, I am a firm believer in really using a tool as it was
intended to be used, as opposed to just hanging it on the wall because it's "cute".

By extension, after 20+ years of the rote-and-note car show and swap meet scene,
I developed a serious nausea for the subject and turned my focus to what really turned
my crank ... putting big smiles on faces of non-car people who happen to see the
car, and doing it in a way that shows the vehicle being used as it was made to be used,
..... not just posed and "cutesy" for the sake of being "cutesy".

Competitive, trophy/ribbon chasing car shows and tours just for the sake of tours just
don't appeal to me. The former I find totally contrary to everything I like about old and
cool, and destructive to the cooperative spirit I value most in life.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am currently working with a volunteer group called "Vets on the Farm" that involves a
number of veterans groups to transition interested vets into a seed-to-fork spectrum of
organic agriculture. Hands-on, dirt under the fingernails work has proven cathartic for many
dealing with PTSD. The TT is a real hit with the group and gets some real down-on-the-
farm action. I have wanted to do something since coming home to reach out to those who
are struggling. It seems a perfect fit. Besides the farm work, I get a lot of questions about
the truck. Who knows, we may even lure a few of the weaker minds over to the dark side
and find more T's out on the farm (?) :-)

Be real, be seen, lead by attraction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Burger, are you unable to take a compliment without having to resort to your high-horse rhetoric of demeaning those who actually compliment you? T lovers come in all shapes and sizes, and we all love our T's and build them to our own want's, wishes and desires. Your repeated disdain for those who don't agree with your narrow minded point of view is tiresome to say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Got new front tires on George the touring car. He is much easier to push around riding on only two flat tires! Can't wait to see the improvement once all four hold air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By King Martin on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Finally, have buggy steps and horn on speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Drove 27 TT wrecker to Pella, Iowa car show today. It has Towmater eyeballs and the kids love to see it. Did 41-42 downhill. Did 35-38 mph on flat. Some hills it would drop to 27-29, could remain in overdrive. Several hills needed to drop to direct, and then be down to 22-23. Nice day in Iowa for car show. Temps were perfect with the breeze and shade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Noonan,

Perhaps a reread is in order ? I am presenting an alternative perspective in a
positive way and explaining how I arrived at this paradigm. Your direct and personal
attacks upon me are not only a violation of the forum rules, but are no way to
lead by attraction.

You have a fine day, no matter how you choose to enjoy your T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:32 am:

As one who has done both Show cars and just drivers and am currently slowly bringing a "barn Fresh" car back (the body wood has dry-rotted away, rats!--well, yes they ate the upholstery, but I doubt they rotted the wood!), I found nothing in Burger's post that was demeaning; just an explanation of how he prefers to enjoy this hobby.
Hopefully we can all come out of this shaking hands and go on about having fun with Ts.
Oh, Jason, those tires look far too clean for George!! (Like I can talk, Barney has new shoes too!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:01 am:

Went to car show at The Museum of Driving in El Segundo,Ca and was the oldest car thereof the invited with Martynn Vowell.Called and pestered Steve Jelf. Went with Mart and visited with Larry "Original Smith so Mart could get some better pics of Original/complete Rocky Mountain Brakes that he will be drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Took the '10 to the Yellow Rose All Ford car show. It is of course the oldest car there, and one of two Model T's. There is also a fiberglass bodied hot rod that calls itself a Model T.

Talked to dozens of people who have never seen a Model T in person before because T people don't bring them out enough. Virtually every person who walks by takes a picture of the car or a "selfie". It is as if an asteroid landed, people are amazed to hear that Model T's did not use batteries, or water pumps, or fuel pumps, or oil pumps, or starters. No place to plug in your cell phone charger. You don't have any windshield wipers. Heck, the windshield itself was an option!

Very rewarding to meet all these appreciative people over the past three days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

I'm going to swap cabs. My TT dump truck enclosed cab will be placed on T chassis. The C-cab with no top will be placed on the TT dump truck chassis. I'm doing this because of noise. Dump box is noisy, Warford is loud and hoping the open cab will make it more tolerable. Besides, I like the idea of enclosed cab pickup and I still have two other TT trucks. Now, if my son-in-law would just show up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

I was astonished to find that the interior cab noise in my TT dropped markedly when I
ditched the L-4 carb for the NH. It runs SO MUCH smoother and shakes that rattle can
so much less. It is amazing ! I never would have thought a carb would affect noise so
dramatically. Even the wifeperson commented on how quite it was in the cab last night
while out for a sunset drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

Speedster and coupe are both ready to go so I took advantage of a local tour and had a 200 mile T day. Took my '26 Coupe out to join up with 4 other T's and one modern for a 100 mile tour including Chuckanut Drive (old twisty road overlooking the sound and San Juan Islands). Paused at a park for a potluck. Weather report had been pretty ugly up until the day before and while we found a few wet spots on the roads we didn't get rained on. All 5 cars and the modern ran fine. Not being fond of trailers for local tours, I drove the coupe the 100 mile round trip to get to the starting point. Mighty nice day that of course included the obligatory ice cream stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Son-in-law showed up! The JD and loader made short work of cab swap. Completely destroyed the Patina of the Dump truck. Oh well. Can't wait to take a spin in my new old pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Gillmor on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I started on this group in August of last year and I very much enjoy reading the posts but do not make many.

Last Aug Long Weekend in Canada, I got to drive a Model T for the very first time. It was the most fun for the sake of fun that I had had in a long time. Sitting around the bonfire that evening I looked at the owner of the 1915 T and said you know that it would be a hoot to put the rear tires of a T in the Pacific and the front in the Atlantic (as we are located in Alberta starting in the West seemed most logical).

My friend Brent looked at me and Mike and asked, ok when are you putting your T's together.....

Thus was born a project that quickly grew legs of its own. My wife has MS and I indicated that what would be even cooler is if we could tie the trip to a fundraising/awareness tour. And so Sea to Sea in a Model T is slowly becoming a reality. We have set our goal as 5-6 years hence.

This summer while working on a Brent's 1915 with the rest of the group we started pulling pieces for vehicles etc. I also created a Facebook page to chronicle our progress..... warning we are in our infancy on this.... however we would welcome any visitors to our FB page to watch with morbid curiosity or to provide feedback/comments etc.

And that is what has been done my me on my Model T for the month of July.

Here is the link for anyone interested:
https://www.facebook.com/seatoseainamodelt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Took the $1200 check for having 1 T and 2 horseless carriages in a movie production for 1 day .... to the bank.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration