Don Houseman - Stolen Trailer and Speedster **New**

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Don Houseman - Stolen Trailer and Speedster **New**
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Klein on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

I am starting this new thread, because the last one was taken over with comments that have nothing to do with recovering my parents trailer and speedster

***$5,000 REWARD FOR THE RECOVERY OF STOLEN ENCLOSED WHITE TRAILER AND MODEL T SPEEDSTER***

Stolen 2005 white Haulmark 20-ft enclosed trailer. Trailer says "Palm Beach Garage, Watsonville, CA" with logo on the back door and sides.

Inside the trailer: 1926 Model T Ford speedster - parrot green

Truck and trailer were stolen late Thursday (June 30th) or early morning (July 1) from the Elegante Hotel in Albuquerque.

Trailer license plate number: 4GD5301 (California)

Speedster license plate number: 5FTA198 (California)

Owner Don Houseman (831) 345-1190

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Post also on the Jalopy Journal/HAMB forum, they have been successful in getting stolen trailers found in the past.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

What is on the car and engine, please provide a parts list in case the car is being dismantled and sold via ebay or craigslist

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Thanks Ed- we posted the theft on the HAMB, Ford Barn and Ahooga within a few hours of discovering the theft. Thank you for the suggestion.
The wheels are 21" #3 Buffalo- color sort of off white, with very slight rusting in numerous places on the spokes. The engine has an A crank and A cam with one of my bronze cam gears installed. Head is a Rajo B/BB with an updraft Carter BB1 carb on a custom polished stainless steel rams-horn shaped intake manifold. The engine and 4 dip pan are painted a somewhat lighter shade of green than the body( you can see the chassis color on the front radius rod and pan in the above picture. the rear end is a Ruckstell with safety hubs and 3:1 gears. The drum headlights have Overland lenses in them. The rectangular louvers in the hood are on a linkage and open/close together. I hope this gives enough info to help identify the major parts. Thanks all for keeping an eye out. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Having heard the Police had two suspects in custody, with just the truck recovered, has there been anything further?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Klein on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Marv, there has been no other news as of now. Still looking for the trailer and the speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Alert the border patrol and customs, including the harbors in case its in a shipping container heading south.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:10 am:

Bump, hoping for better news tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Innes on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:35 am:

It might be worth contacting local airport flying schools. You may find several people who are building time very willing to look for the trailer abandoned in a desolate area. The color & graphics should make it identifiable from the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Jack - Good thought. Yet another idea is to put something identifiable on the roof, big decal or painted logo, that is identifiable from the air. Always think of ideas to improve things after something like this happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:08 am:

A friend of mine is a flight instructor in Albuquerque. He's been directing his students to fly over the common 'cliff disposal' sites. Suspicions are the speedster/trailer is still stashed someplace.... (This will also take the message back to the forefront.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Around here I understand they become rolling meth labs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

This is what I did on my trailer, exactly what Dan B suggested.

Quick and easy and not OT.
roof

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Klein on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Still no word on the trailer or the speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

The guys in the truck still not talking? Push the police for a warrant on their properties.

Wonder if it's hiding in a garage. Hopefully not being stripped down.

Unique enough parts I would think they would be had to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Klein on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Albuquerque PD is severely understaffed, they only have two officers to deal with all of the auto theft. So unfortunately the trailer is not top priority with the amount of cars that are stolen each day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Just bumping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Maybe the city should remove a few people from welfare, and hire some new police officers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Not taking the bait. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Interesting we have not heard anything about the two guys that were in possession of the stolen truck. It would seem like they would be a pretty hot lead since it was so fresh.
They probably only bought the truck from the thieves.

Hope to hear some good news before the end of the month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Van Meter on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

Don -

Keep the faith -

My father's 24' Touring Car was stolen the same way (contained in his trailer) and was missing for 5 months. It was recovered in an orchard approx. 45 miles from where it was taken. The thieves had opened the trailer most likely expecting it to be full of construction tools. They never took the car out of the trailer, but removed the license plate and the 2003 Ford Centennial dash plaque.

Be sure to make certain that your car is not stolen "twice". Dad had settled with his insurance company by the time the T was recovered. When he went to return the settlement, the insurance manager told him that they had already settled and the car was not for sale to him. If it hadn't been for 55+ years as an excellent customer for his retired construction company, the car might not have been returned to him.

Take heart even when it seems that all is lost. We are wishing the best for a similar outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris - Garland, Texas on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Hi All- we just received word the speedster was found abandoned in an arroyo in New Mexico in great shape and is now safely tucked away awaiting its return to California. Thanks all for your support and concern. Now- let this be a lesson all of us who haul our cars in trailers- get a tracking device in your trailer!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

So, is the trailer still missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Woo-Hoo!
Congratulations!

I bet those thieves never even figured out how to drive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I think it would be in order for someone to start a thread on things that can be done to theft proof trailers so that someone doing a search can find it easy. this has happened a few times lately and it would be a good idea to get all the ideas in 1 place. I know even on my small trailers I built, i am thinking of putting my last name in black letters big enough to be seen from above just for the extra protection. And weld my name on the frame in a couple places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Happy to hear this, most stories do not have happy endings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Happiness abounds! Hopefully the trailer was nearby too....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Thank you for the news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Great news!!!!
If anyone welds their name on the trailer as Mack said, use stainless steel rod, or wire. That way, even if it is ground off, it will still show up when the steel base metal rusts. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Glad to read the Speedster was recovered. Hopefully not much damage was done. I also hope you will soon find the trailer in good condition.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration