Suggestions for Seale to paint wood body parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Suggestions for Seale to paint wood body parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Been biulding my current speedster body this weekend and usually give it a coat of fiberglass resin.
Just wondering what others use to seal the wood grain before painting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

I've used West System Epoxy. I thin it out slightly to get maximum penetration and then sand it lightly so the paint will adhere. I do this only where the wood is in contact of the metal. The exposed wood I use Rustbullet automotive gray. This is just how I do it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Thanks Don I know what I've done, but trying to see
What other have done.
I've used west epoxy on a wood boat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Bob, I use Kwik Poly. Langs (and others) sell it. It is a 2 part product. It has the consistency of gasoline or water when mixed. So it soaks very deep into the wood. It is also great to treat soft/rotten wood as it hardens the wood into a hard and stable wood again. You can make molds from silicone and cast small parts like dash knobs, gearshift knobs, ect with it. It sets up very fast. You have about two minutes to work with it in the summer and maybe 4 minutes in the cool weather. So you need to be a little "sloppy" with it. It sands good and takes any kind of paint well. I have used it for years and love it ... I can not see getting by without it after I tried it... But that is just my personal opinion on it. ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

Donnie been using it for years repaired alot of t
And wood wagons
Gas tank sealer
Tightening of wood wheels and top bows

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:22 am:

I would use a good exterior oil based penetrating wood primer such as is used on the exterior of a house to protect it from the elements. 25 years ago, I primed my house with just such a primer and painted it and it has held up very well. Wood is very tricky because it expands and contracts with the weather, I would be leery of using a fiberglass resin or an epoxy on the bare wood that does not move with the wood. Chances are it would crack and expose the wood under the cracks to the elements in a very short time. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration