OT Burbank Rock House

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Burbank Rock House
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Hi, So I found the house. Very cool. I would like to e-mail the pictures of the inside. Someone posted them here a while back. My search skills are lacking. I could use some help. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 04:44 am:

Thanks Scott. I had forgotten all about this. Now that I have the time I may take a run up to see it. Interesting architecture. And it probably stays pretty cool in the summer but a devil to heat.
(copied from the City of Burbank, Historic Properties web page)

The Rock House, 902 East Olive Avenue

rock house

The Rock House was built between 1921 and 1923 and was constructed in the Craftsman style using indigenous river rocks that were likely cultivated from the surrounding landscape including the nearby Verdugo Mountains. This property and the neighboring property at 906 East Olive Avenue are the only two known remaining properties in the City of Burbank using this type of construction. The house was built for and originally owned by Orlando C. Lane, who moved with his family to Burbank in 1889 at the age of eight. He established a bicycle repair shop, later followed by an auto repair garage, and finally a Ford auto dealership. Lane’s granddaughter told the current owners that Henry Ford once stayed at the house while in town to inspect the dealership. Lane was acquainted with aviator Amelia Earhart and humorist Will Rogers, both of whom are said to have visited the house. The current owners have restored the exteriors of the house and garages to their original condition. As they stand today, the stone walls, concrete tile roof, windows, and other exterior finishes and features are believed to be the original materials and configuration of the structures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:27 am:

http://wesclark.com/burbank/rock_house.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Thanks Ed, I just sent the link off in an e-mail to my friend. We drove around the place last Sunday and I told her what I knew. She asked about the inside so this is great. Thanks, Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration