Stromberg OF Rare Part being remade

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stromberg OF Rare Part being remade
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:53 am:

I saw that this seller has remade a rare part for Stromberg OF carburetors that is often missing or very hard to find. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Accessory-CARB-CHOKE-Control-Stromberg-Vint age-Antique-Auto-OF-RF-/291811702887?hash=item43f1553867:g:nQEAAOSwgY9XfFe4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Thanks Ed, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:44 am:

That's not a Stromberg control if Uncle Stan's handbook which came with my re-built OF is correct. At the back of the book is a full page illustration taken from page 5 of a revised Stromberg manual. It shows a push/pull sliding knob and a cable going directly to the carb. It has a two piece metal bracket which clamps it to the model T steering column.

At a recent clearing sale of T parts I bought a large wooden crate with all sorts of T nuts and bolts and odds and ends, just to get a choke mechanism I thought I could use on my OF. Imagine my delight when I later discovered that the choke I bought is the exact one shown in Stan's manual.

The knob and shaft are nickel plated brass. The tube in which they slide is nickel plated brass. The two piece clamp is steel, and may also have been plated. There is a detent in the pull to allow the choke to be set partially open.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Oh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Original example, with the nickel plate worn off from a previous thread

Here is the reproduction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:52 am:

I have a complete OF that came with its original wood shipping crate. It has the same style choke assembly as Ed shows above, and is being reproduced. Allen, there may have been a different (possibly early version) like you have or it may also have been for a different car or application. have fun and be safe ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:18 am:

They are both right. Stromberg made 100 + different designs of carburetors and they all had a choke of some kind. The one they are reproducing is the early style for the LF and some OF's, the later version that fits above the steering wheel is the late version for the first model OF. They seem to have been shipped "whatever we have" for most of the OF production although technically, I think the above the column design is correct for the later version of the OF and many other Strombergs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Incidentally, they must have somebody who will work cheaper than anybody I've been able to find. Those are, IMHO, an absolute bargain at the price they are asking. I'm surprised they have not all sold out already. I hope they do another run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By King Martin on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Here here Stan. I purchased one and they are great quality and function very well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Stan is a rf big enough to run a mod t looks awful samll ??? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Yes. They were the replacement for the OF, mostly made after the heyday of the accessory carb for T's was ended by the vaporizer. They are good carbs but most of them have the idle jet frozen in place and the aluminum is somewhat "rotten" after all these years. It deteriorates much more than brass. But they are good carbs as far as running OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

I bought one at the Homecoming in Indiana. Looks nice haven't tried it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Charley - I run an RF on my speedster with a Rajo. I've had it up to 65 before my wheels started vibrating to the point that I had to back off the throttle, of which I still had plenty left. Starts, idles, accelerates very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Stan's book shows the later OF at the back. The choke pull looks like this.

This is a simpler design and I guess was cheaper to make. The grooves around the shaft are engaged by a circlip in the body to give set positions for the amount of choke desired.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration