Front spring clip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front spring clip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:10 am:

This is what I found when I took my car apart. The spring clip is made with all thread. I think there should be 2 u-bolts here, am I correct? The parts places don't seem to have these. I can post a wanted ad in the classified section but I want to be sure what I should ask for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:13 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Ford-Model-T-Front-Spring-Hanger-U-Bolt-Engine-Mou nt-/361511282876?hash=item542bc068bc:g:06EAAOSwZ8ZW5yjg&vxp=mtr

I have no connection to the seller or the ad. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

That's the parts but sorry before I would buy that set, I would want to see a good view of the threads cleaned up or at least a description. Too often the threads are buggered up or missing because of rust and wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

What year is your t?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

I looked at the eBad ad out of curiosity. It is pretty rusty. I have repaired threads on those U-bolts, but it is really more trouble to do right than they are worth. It is a lot of work to properly build up (generally, welding of some sort), round, and re-thread. Simply cutting back and welding new threaded steel on isn't a lot easier, and only an expert level welder with proper modern equipment should be trusted for that type of repair for that part in that usage. I have been welding with marginal equipment for more than 50 years now, and would not trust my own welding in that location on my own car. And I consider myself pretty good at it if I want to be.
Those U-bolts are getting scarce, and sometimes go for a lot more money than I think they should (I have seen singles sell for $30 and paid about $15 for a single myself).
Another option. I have done this myself. I had a good pair of model A Ford '28/'29 (flat on the closed end unlike the later ones which were round). Because they are a bit too wide, I heated, annealed, and re-bent for a proper fit to the model T frame. Then I cut to a perfect size, a piece of 1/4 inch thick steel bar-stock to fit between the T cross-member frame rails. With the pieces brazed well into place onto the U-bolts, the gap for the U-bolt to clear around the frame rail was provided.
All cleaned up and painted, tightly bolted in place? They look great, work fine, and should not in any way compromise the strength or safety. And it would take someone that really knows model T parts looking really close to spot them.

My first suggestion, however, is to try to get good originals. You will likely get offers from this forum (I do not have any extra and actually need a couple more). If not, soon, call the major vendors. They do need to make a living, and therefore have to charge a bit more than many hobbyists do. But most of them are very fair on prices of original parts like these. Besides, I like to support the people that support the hobby the way they do.

Good luck with your T! And, threaded rod should NEVER be used for that application.
Drive carefully, an enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

It is 1919 touring. I agree the ones for sale on e-bay look really bad and I would not buy them. I can post a wanted to buy in the classified section, someone may come up with a pair for sale.
I will also call Bob's antique auto parts and Langs to see what they might have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Bob and Lang'S both have used parts. I would call them. They r both very good vendors of T parts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration