Gas headlamp mirrors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gas headlamp mirrors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:59 am:

Does anyone know the makers of the glass mirrors for the black and brass lamps? I just picked up a pair of early Corcoran's and they have their original mirrors (at least they look original - they were stuck in place and I had to use some lacquer thinner to loosen them) and they are made by Pyrex. Does that sound right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Sounds like originals to me. Pyrex, Corning, and many other glass makers made mirrors for cars back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

one of the original glass makers was McBeth-Pearl Glass. i'm sure there have been others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Thanks for the re-assurance fella's! I was fairly certain these were the originals - they were pretty well stuck to the inside of the lamp body. Whatever they used as a backing had long ago melted and fused the mirror in place! Thank goodness for lacquer thinner - now it's off to have them re-silvered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Browns had their name on their mirrors. Victors used mirrors marked C. & A. Matisse. Some mirrors, maybe Corcorans or E & Js, used Macbeths and others had no name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

the original backing ring would have been asbestos and should not have melted. i just re-silvered a pair of original lenses using a kit bought over the inet. for a first time silvering, it turned out good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

stuart,

What kit were you able to get? I have some of the thin style 6" mirrors I would like to try to silver. They are nice but have some spots on the silver.

I have some of a brand called Lancaster mangins which are the thick style. Lancaster may have been the last manufacturer that quit about 10 to 15 years ago.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

angleguilding.com is where i got my kit. lancaster glass made a lot of the repops at one time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration