Speed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rfbuff on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Which will make model tt truck run faster. High speed rear end or warlord transmission, or do I need both? Where can I find high speed worm and ring gear. As always thanks for your help. 1927 tt truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

You asked, "or do I need both?" Each increment of high speed gears and/or overdrive will add speed. I've even seen TTs with high speed rear end gears, a Ruckstell, a 3 speed auxiliary transmission, and another driveshaft mounted auxiliary transmission. I bet the darn thing would do over 70 MPH, if you're inclined to go that fast in a 90 year old truck on 90 year old wooden spokes.

Tell us what you're trying to do and we can better help you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rfbuff on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Our goal is able to use the truck on tours. Around 45 mph without over working the engine. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Then I agree with Jerry. High speed rear end gears and a Warford or a Muncie (or any one of a number of others) will do the job.

You may already know this, but to be sure:
If you add an auxiliary transmission then auxiliary brakes are a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

High speed gears and a Warford might give you the right gearing, but you'll also need a strong engine to move a heavy TT along at 45mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

R F, I don't have a TT truck but I know a little bit about their gearing. They have a high ratio which makes what we call a low gear set. A Worford, not Warlord transmission can come in two varieties. one is a two speed which gives direct and under drive ratios. In a TT you get slow and slower and this set-up was designed for pulling large loads up steep hills. There is a fellow making high speed rear axle gearing for TT trucks. This makes them go faster on t he level but you will need to ride the low pedal to climb hills unless you install an auxiliary transmission with an overdrive in it.

A regular Model T transmission gets around that problem by installing an under drive and direct two speed transmission and a set of three to one gears in the rear axle. They then drive around in town in the low transmission gear and shift it into overdrive to go faster out on the highways,

A three speed auxiliary transmission has under drive, direct drive and overdrive, That and the low - high gear Model T transmission give six forward speeds and three speeds in reverse.

The Layne Warford machine company now makes a three speed transmission for TT trucks. They have six forward speeds and three in reverse starting out with 18.4 to one in low low and 2.8 to one in overdrive high pedal.

Layne makes transmissions for Nascar racers and it always make a quality product. They have constant mesh gears and can be shifted n the fly without using the clutch, Their phone number is 816 231-3268 and their website is www,laynemachine.com

There is a fellow who makes a high seed set of gears for TT Trucks but I could not find that connection. If you put a high speed rear end in your truck you will need to add accessory brakes and those are available. Rocky Mountain brakes are a good product. Bud Williams makes them in Temecula, California.

The whole set-up could cost you over$5000 including labor if you buy all new parts and have them installed. I am sure someone who has done the conversion could explain it better than I have done.

You can buy the new rear end gear set and Rocky Mountain brakes. Then find a good used Muncie three speed transmission and you can get by for well under $3000 but it might be noisey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

To run 45 you need both high speed gears and an overdrive. A little more power under the hood helps too. A high compression head, perhaps. My TT is set up this way and I tour with our club just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Around here most folks tour in the 30-35 MPH range on a T tour. Pushing to 45 might be fun for a short stint in a TT truck but I would not want to push it for a long time at that speed. Just because you can do 45+ does not mean you will have any reserve power past that, to do that you will need a strong engine and good brakes not just a few added gear boxs to do so. How flat is SC? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

"Which will make model tt truck run faster. High speed rear end or warlord transmission, or do I need both? Where can I find high speed worm and ring gear. As always thanks for your help. 1927 tt truck"

There is another way that's cheaper than upgrading to a hi-speed rear plus adding a KC Warford.

Add only a KC Warford with custom gearing; yes, they will do it. The only limiting factor on ratios are physical limits within the box. For example, they can make you a KC Warford with two overdrive gears. With a strong engine something like this may work:

Direct 7.25:1
O/D 1 5.50:1
O/D 2 4.00:1

Contact the KC guys and tell them Constantine recommended you speak to them.

And remember, there's nothing better in the old Ford hobby than overtaking a T in a TT (for the TT driver that is).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration