Clayton Paddison at Jay Leno's garage with his roadster.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clayton Paddison at Jay Leno's garage with his roadster.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

So I figured I would let you guys know Clayton too k his roadster down to Burbank California to to do an video with jay Leno for his web series Jay Leno's garage. Talked to him this morning and they arrived around nine and do the shot and take the roadster for a drive a little later on. Look for it soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Nice, thanks !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Wow.. Very cool. Jay Leno is a real car guy for sure. He had a T model a few years ago but i dont remember the year model. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

1923 roadster I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

I just saw some pictures of the event at facebook - here's one:

Gg

(picture by Julia Paddison)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

What a great experience. It's nice that Jay can enjoy Model T's along with all the other cars he likes.
Fun to see this.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Looks like he having a time of his life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

What a wonderful adventure! I am envious of you, buddy!

Here's another shot of the filming.

...and one of Clayton in my 1915 runabout after the Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 12:04 am:

Mr Hollywood and family with Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 04:10 am:

Thanks Chris for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:45 am:

In the film shoot photos, the wheels are different than the first image, parked outside. Daytons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Thumbs up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Jerry, that second pic looks like 30/31 Model A 19" wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

They are 19" Buffalo wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Wheels are 19" Buffaloes with knock off caps for a early MG. our engine lathe sheared a shear pin two days before he left so we were not able to finish up the knock off cap adapters. Personally I like the old spindly look of the 26-7 wires myself.

We had change a few thing. Clayton is so skinny that the way he had the steering column mounted and the stick shift for the Warford mounted no one else could drive the car. So we helped him raise it about forum he's and custom built a stick shift to go into the top of the Chicago transmission so anyone could drive it.also really did the seat upholstery a little. Put a different gas tank in course the other one he used had rust in itand the rear trunk floor looked like crap so we also fixed that.

I Talked to Clayton last night he said the episode with Jay should be up in a couple weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

No problem Tim. Clayton is on cloud nine and grinning from ear to ear!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Supposed to be we raised the steering column about 4 inches....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

SUPER!
When will it air?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

What week or date will it air if anyone knows. I would like to see it.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

Still 2-3 weeks out Clayton says end of July. I will try to post the link up when it comes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Ok. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Congrats Clayton! Well deserved. You are a great ambassador for the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Sounds like Clayton's episode premiers on Monday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Looking forward to seeing it!

I wish Jay would put the 2008 video of his 1925 runabout back onto his website.

jay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Mark,

Is this the video you mentioned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1fBt1e-tI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Nope, the Jay Leno's garage Youtube site used to have a 2008 video featuring Jay, Russ Grunewald (MTFCA president at the time) and one other MTFCA member (sorry, name escapes me). They talked about the upcoming (at the time) 100th anniversary of the introduction of the Model T and the upcoming MTFCA "T party". Jay then took his Model T for a drive and showed how the controls worked, including a 45 mph "high speed run".

If somebody saved a copy of that video before it got taken off Youtube, can you repost it to Youtube and put a link to it in the forum? Thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:08 am:

Now it's available at Youtube :-)
https://youtu.be/Paiqx1FuwVw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Just watched it this morning, fantastic! Clayton, you're a natural in front of the camera. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Just watched it. Yes there are some technical comments we could take issue with but I hope all can stay positive and see this as a great opportunity to bring some fresh blood to the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Clayton's been a poster here in the past. Hoping we eventually get to hear from him and his first hand experience.

What a neat opportunity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Next poster from here that would make a great half hour show would be Rob with his Model K :-) (but it's a long haul from Nebraska to California..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Roger, I was thinking the exact same thing after I saw the video.

Rob, how about it? Send Jay a snail mail offering to let him drive and feature the Model K! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Did you notice when they showed the motor apart that he is still running magnets? I am convinced that retaining the magnets is key to the proper oiling and longevity of a T motor. Clayton's motor is essentially one of our Montana 500 motors with a Z head, distributor and dual carbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Regarding Roger's comment :

Any REAL Ford could make the trip from Nebraska to California. I'm not so sure about those sensitive sixes. :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Outstanding video!

I learned a great deal. Just ordered wireless turn signals and am going to start using 6 quarts of oil.

A brief ride in My Model T

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dotzs10nb0zr5q/4JulyDriveWithGabbyLucien.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Just talked to Clayton he is trying to get but is having problems. Soon as he get them working he will be. It's very cool to what he did with my grampa parts parts car. Never knew it would be in Jay's garage. He spent a lot of time finishing it up so it would present well. Well done Clayton!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Trying to get on the forum but is having problems.... Hit the wrong button before I proof read it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin helinski on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

That was a very cool video. Looks like Jay really had a good time with the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

What a FUN video........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:40 am:

Loved the video, the car ran great!

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:47 am:

My brother just found this: http://theoldmotor.com/?p=159089

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Chris Laughary:

You are probably going to regret using six quarts of oil in a stock Model T. That is WAY too much. It will likely cause a number of problems such as fouling of the spark plugs, oil burning/blue smoke and unnecessary leaks.

Stick to what is says in the owners manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Hi everyone!

I finally got my login stuff sorted out, so I can post again.

I'm really glad everyone liked the episode! It was a real blast and Jay is a super nice guy as everyone has heard. We had a great time just enjoying the collection for the day after shooting wrapped.

Jay loved the T and genuinely had a great time behind the wheel. Like any good magical car...it ran like a champ the entire time.

It was such a whirlwind experience, that going back, I did notice a gaff or two on my part info wise...and for that I apologize. Fortunately, most will either sail over it, or read into it further and finds the correct, more complete information as they research to build their own Ts.

I will get some more photos formatted and posted in the next few days for everyone.

Chris,

I do agree with Erik. I run my oil a bit high (about 5 to 5-1/2 quarts) to make sure I have the extra lube (and as we know on Ts...it finds its way out again), but I have modern rings.

For a stock T, I would follow T service information or just keep the oil level either just at or slightly below the upper petcock on the pan.

Some run their oil at the upper petcock so they get a few drips out when opened, some run it just below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

New shoes....and a celebrity guest!

Hello fellow HAMBers!

There hasn't been an update from me in quite a while.....but I have managed to get a few exciting things done lately, so it was way overdue.

First....

I got the Buffalo Wires done and mounted!

We got the new Olympic tires mounted and I decided to go with silver lock rings per original...but it just didn't look right (my wife was on this like a hawk from the beginning)...so I took her advice and painted them black and everything was right in the world again.

I have made a few other improvements (gas tank, trunk, etc) in order to get ready for TROG West and another special encounter.

A year ago, I met a fantastic friend that came to visit the shop and see the T. He was quite taken by both and remarked that there was a famous acquaintance that I really needed to talk to in person: Jay Leno.

He suggested I "write the man a letter and see what he says". I took the plunge and did just that, hoping to get a chance to visit the "Big Dog Garage" and show Jay the roadster. The very next day after the letter arrived....Jay called me personally and invited me to visit the garage and asked about filming an episode of his web series about the T!

I nearly fell over.

After months of planning and combining it with a family vacation...we loaded the T and headed south.

On Wednesday....we made the trek to the garage and it was EVERYTHING I ever could have imagined. Jay was very accommodating and super genuine....just a seller guy.

During the shoot...I offered to crank start it on film which they liked. I decided to let Jay crank start it....and it went on the first pull!

During the drive portion....you could tell he was really into it. He sometimes gets this look on his face when he really loves a car and he had it when we were racing the camera car! Lol!

We spent the rest of the day milling around the shop and enjoyed the collection. It was unreal...I'm still coming down off that high!

Once the episode is available, I will have links and some more pictures.

More to come,

Clayton

(Beauty shot courtesy of Jay Leno's Garage)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Clayton,

You did a FANTASTIC job representing the Model T community. It was truly enjoyable watching. I agree with you: Jay is a super nice guy, a real "car guy" who appreciates all aspects of the hobby and that comes through clearly. But you, like most of us on this Forum, have an enormous love for the T and that was even more evident in this episode. Read some of the more than 1000 comments posted to the video and you'll come to the conclusion that you, personally, made quite a few converts to working three pedals. CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU!

(Message edited by Conversiont on July 19, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

What ever happened to Jay's roadster?

Does he still own it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Think he does - it's still pictured on his website and he references it in the present tense several times in Clayton's episode.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

The video was fun to watch and the stills are just as great. To the So Cal folks, Jay is a regular at many car events. For the rest of us, it would a dream come true. Congrats on a job well done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Yes, Jay still has his '25 Roadster. It was there in the garage when we were there. Its very clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Well, how many cars does Jay have there? Must be more than one for every day in the month, maybe getting closer to one for every day in the year..?
(then maybe he has cars stored at other locations, too.. :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Roger, There are about 175 cars and several hundred bikes....all of them are stellar! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

What a greater opportunity for the model T hobby to be on jays show. Lots of people will view it and maybe just get interested. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Thank You Clayton and Eric for putting the 6 quarts of oil idea to rest.

... And That's now my all time favorite episode of Leno!

Keep the shiney side up and we appreciate all the pics you have time to share. Oh, and you're all welcome at my garage anytime here just South of Nashville. We have some great roads and Southern hospitality that is now bringing us 100 new residents per day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Question: Does the distributor help or would it do just as well with the magneto and coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Fred,

The Dizzy in my car was specially built with a tailored advance curve and is all automatic....so I have never had to touch it in the 5 years I have run it.

Coils can be picky sometimes, but do run good....no argument there.

The thing I like about a dizzy is they seem to be far less picky, dead nuts reliable and parts (for the later VW style setups, are over the counter. That has saved my bacon on the road a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Clayton, did you look into a period magneto, chain or gear drive? Performance improvement? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Clayton, it's been too long since the last time I saw your T. It was great to see and hear it. You're one of of the reason this old man got his speedster. I followed your build on the Fordbarn while the fellow in Wisconsin (Will Stephens) was building the chassis and cowl for mine. You really were an inspiration then and you still are today. Since purchasing the speedster from Will I've made a few minor changes. Not too many days went by that I didn't tune in to see what you guys were doing. Congratulations on a job well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Clayton,

I made this observation over on the HAMB where you documented your build ....

You are the first crossover to bridge the gap between the traditional MTFCA community & the Hot Rod community
that has earned wide support.

Part of it is who you are - part of it what you built.

I think Jay responded to that.

Thank you for taking us all along on your adventure .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:54 am:

Pat, I am actually planning to experiment with a few different ignition system's on Ts in the near future. I am going to build a '25 RPU for my lovely wife and plan to run coils on it. I also have a Vertex magneto that will slip into my existing Texas T dizzy mount. I will see which is best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Michael and Jim,

That just makes a young guy like me feel really good. I'm honored to be thought of as an inspiration.

If I can be the bridge or ambassador between the two groups...I'm honored.

I have always felt welcome here....even by some of the most hardcore purists who took the time to give me the thumbs up on this "adventure".

There will be more to come, so stay tuned. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Clayton the bridge builder! I like it. I too frequent both this forum and the HAMB, but I don't show the same car both places. :-) Clayton's car fits well in both places, being both a traditional Speedster and a traditional Hot Rod. Good on ya', Clayton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

Mike,

ya know....it really does mesh smoothly in both places doesn't it? It was always so widely accepted and praised both here and the HAMB.

That might just be the greatest compliment of all :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 03:29 am:

After rewatching the video, I noticed something I missed last time. I'm guessing you are a Star Trek fan. I remember the line about "won't be installed until Tuesday" in one of the movies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Let me Guess... Tuesday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HG_Hx-0ulQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:43 am:

Jared,

Yes, yes I am. I was really suprises that so many got the joke! :-)

Mike,

Ha! Yup, that's the one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Clayton, your roadster is bitchin', if I may use such crude language. No wonder Jay likes it. If we are ever close together, I would like to trade you test drives with the Wild Cherry II. We will be at Omaha in 2017. If you want to be the fastest 27 T powered roadster on the planet send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Erik,

PM sent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

I hope this becomes a new thread. I'm curious about the "fastest 27 T powered roadster on the planet" part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 12:54 am:

Me too...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration