Removing the 1914 steering wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Removing the 1914 steering wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

The maintenance manual isn't really clear on this but the steering wheel isn't threaded on the shaft, right? The threaded shaft is only for the retaining nut. It appears there are two keys that keep the wheel from turning on the shaft. I tried pounding on it a bit with a lead hammer and then bought a gear puller but I wanted to ensure I'm not going to damage those threads before laying into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

A two or four leg puller works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

I use a cheap parts store puller on the steering wheels.I am getting ready to have to put a 16 inch wheel on my car, for the extra room.The puller was like $20 or so. Comes off easy that way.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

You might want to find a thin nut to thread on the end of the shaft to prevent mushrooming the shaft.
Yes, there are two keyways on the spider, but usually only one on the shaft itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Be careful when trying different nuts on the shaft. The threads are NOT a standard thread per inch pitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Good point Ron; unfortunately I forget what the specs are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:05 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/73708.html?1227706044

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't mess up any threads but whoever installed the keys sure left a mark. So I'm going to sand and refinish the steering wheel and try to match the hue of the spokes and dashboard and on the bottom of the spider, I noticed what, at first, appeared to be an "8" inside a circle.

I sanded some paint off and now I think it might be a "B". Any ideas? Beaudette maybe?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration