1914 Touring hood former location?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1914 Touring hood former location?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

I have been pondering installing the hood former on the re-made firewall. The old firewall is long gone, so I don't have any reference. I thought of getting the radiator in proper position, then trying to establish measurements from there. Would this be the correct approach? Suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

My '12 & '13s hood formers both sit about 1/4" above the hood shelf, if that's of any help. They seem to look and fit fine. In fact, when I put my new firewall on the '13 that's about where I "just put it" and it looks great, hood seems to be where it should be. Hope this helps. Nice steam engine in your profile BTW! Is that you running it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

David..curiosity got the better of me, so went out to the barn real quick and measured.. the '12 is about 1/2" above the hood shelf, the '13 is right on 1/4" as previously thought. So this time I only had half a brain fart!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Tim, Thanks for the reply. I did find this subject on a past post on this forum. It seems there are often variables to consider. Even some troubles getting a proper fit when the firewall was predrilled when the cars were built! The story goes, holes were then drilled in place instead of predrilling. I've considered trying to 'mock up' with some trial and error. As long as I don't make 'swiss cheese' in the process!
And no, I'm not at the throttle of the #15 in my profile photo, I wish I was! That is one of the last engines to operate (several years ago) on the East Broad Top.
BTW You have some fine looking cars in your collection!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

John Regan used the original drawings to give me this method: simply center the hood former side to side on the dash, then place 2 pieces if 3/4" thick wood on the frame. Let the hood former rest on them and mark the dash for the screws.

I did this on my '14 and all fit perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

R.V. Thanks, As I sometimes do, I searched for some info after I posted my question. The 3/4" is what I recall reading. That should bring it to the 1/4" above the hood shelves as Tim measured on his.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

David,
Nice pic of 15 coasting, looks like a cool early fall morning? I see just a nice haze from the stack, some advance on the cut-off, and the generator exhaust is very visible; so cool day condensing the exhaust steam and the beginning of fall colors.
EBT one of our nation's most endangered national treasures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

David, True words spoken by a "Lover of Steam"
I have often thought what I would do if I won the lottery! Can you guess? I have always been a fan of any steam power. I was born in Conneaut, OH so you can understand my passion for the Nickel Plate Road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

David: thanks for the compiments on "the guys and gals". I sometimes call them the "three Brassalleros"... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Tim, You are very welcome! "three Brassalleros" Now that's one I never heard! Quite clever! I still like "Wobble T Fords" That was coined by my late father. He was responsible for my love of antique automobiles, antique firetrucks and steam locomotives!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

David, getting the hood former in the right place is critical to getting a good fit for the hood. I start with the radiator, square to the front and back. With that set, put the hood on and move the former around to get the best fit at the radiator and the firewall. This will not necessarily be right on centre or 1/2" above anything, but it will give the best fit for the hood.

On my 1915, which has a pre-determined hole for the hood centre rod, I had to fill that hole and weld in a sleeve for the rod, 3/8" to the side and 1/8" lower.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Allan, Thank You! I find your comments interesting. It would seem the squareness of the radiator along with the firewall will greatly affect the process. As I mentioned, this was an issue on the assembly line. What they didn't illustrate, was exactly how it was located to 'drill in place' Reminds me of one of my favorite questions for a "new" guy in the shop, "What's the first thing to do when you're going to drill a hole?" They always say "get a drill bit" I'd say "Well maybe but, you have to 'find' the hole first" They would usually respond with a grin and a nod!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration