How old is this Ford sign?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How old is this Ford sign?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Any idea when this Ford sign was in use? I've seen similar signs before but haven't seen one advertising Ford Service Stations. Sure would like to know the approximate year if possible. Looks like it has been over the mountain a time or two. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

John,
Maybe you found this website?

http://www.oilsign.com/#type_2

On it there is a like sign, appears black instead of blue:

http://www.oldsign.com/auto171

Perhaps a contact to them might suggest date?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks David, checked the site and there is a sign just like this one and in better shape, however there is no date that I can see. Thanks again,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Here's a good reference for pictures of known originals if you're concerned about buying a fake. That one looks original as far as I can tell, but the fakes are getting really hard to spot.

That one is just listed as "1920s"

http://jerseygaspumps.tripod.com/ford.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Thanks Derek. Found the sign there and, as you say, it's from the 1920's. Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I'd say it's from the '30s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:41 am:

The "Ford" script is exactly like some of the Fordson signs. That may help indicate the years.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

I BELIEVE THIS SIGN IS 1909-10. IT IS PAINTED WITH A BLUE SAND FILLED PAINT AND HAS A WOOD FRAME. MUCH EARLIER THAN THE PORCELIN SIGNS. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ONE LIKE THIS? I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER LIKE IT.

FORD SIGN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Glen: Is it sand or ground glass? I have a painted Ford Battery sign that is ground glass in the paint so the light reflects off it at night. I can shine light on it in the shop and it "lights up". Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Is that how Henry Ford signed his last name?

If not, considering he being a Farmer the logo is actually quite fancy for this no-nonsense man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Mike,

No that "Ford" scrip was chosen for the logo to help with advertising etc.

To see samples of Henry Ford's actual signature please see: https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/sets/1 0988#mod=exhibit-view that takes you to the "Henry Ford" museum.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Thanks Hap, There is a similarity

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Please note that MOST of the Ford scripts used in early production had a much higher F than those posted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Dan, (I believe it is sand, it doesn't reflect light. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

I have the same porcelain sign and on the back side in porcelain it says PEMCO 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

No one else has the Painted Ford Sign?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

I found this painted Ford sign in Pismo Beach, Cal. while on tour with the Orange County Model T Ford Club. We found it on the back wall of an old garage and gas station. Several club members tried to buy it but the owner would not sell it. I drove back in the afternoon and talked with the owner. Apparently he liked me as he gave it to me free. You cant know how pleased I was and how upset the others were. I brought it home tied to the side of my 1922 Ford Coupe. What a trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Glen,

We've never met, but many I know DO know you and speak highly of your character.
I have repeatedly experienced situations like you describe, where everyone else gets
shown the door and I get a royal invite. To my thinking, it is because people sense dollar
chasers and appreciate a straight-shooter. I suspect you are genuine and a straight
shooter, and for this, you got the "prize". Good on you. As I always say, "Duty above
all else, except Honor", Sir ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Burger, My daddy taught me to be honest, friendly and helpful. It has always worked well for me and I have nothing to regret. Thanks for the kind words. Glen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration