Correct 1914 Muffler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Correct 1914 Muffler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Gentlemen and ladies

I searched the forum, and admittedly, I'm not good at it, and could not find what I'm looking for.

What is the correct muffler for my 1914?

Looking and Langs and Snyders (any other suggestions?) i'm confused.

Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Marty,
Sadly, you will not find what you are looking for from the "usual suspects" However, I understand the Lang's may have the muffler pipes very soon.
Here's what you are likely looking for ('14 to'16) The early '14 is a bit different.

Muffler ends (not shown are the three shells and the long bolts holding the ends on and the short tailpipe).

manifold to Muffler pipe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

David, thanks! So the ends are cast iron with three sheet metal cylinders? Does a tailpipe go on that? Does anyone make an exhaust pipe (manifold to muffler) that fits?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

I was reading the forum a while back and someone is now producing a correct one that actually fits.
Someone on here will have his name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

There is an original set on eBay now
Sorry don't know how to paste with my I pad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Marty: Langs has a complete 1914 muffler setup for $214. Part # 4025CA. Correct ends with the tailpipe. I happen to have what might be an original one complete with the asbestos wrap in fair shape, except it happens to have the curved tail pipe typically found on a '13, but as I understand it, might be found on an early '14, with the correct '14 ends on it. I'll also try to paste the ebay link for you too. Good luck!http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-T-FORD-CAST-IRON-MUFFLER-ENDS-1914-1917-/282068371 193?hash=item41ac95c6f9:g:md8AAOSw3YNXYGXH&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

I believe Larry Smith is also making the correct exhaust pipe, complete with smooth curves like the originals! Mine is still solid, but when I need to replace it that's where I'm going!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Our T club had the same problem with ill-fitting exhaust pipes. Fit is even more critical to get the pipe past the pedals on RHD cars. In the end, I supplied a complete driveable chassis to the exhaust shop and they developed a programme to make pipes that fit. We sell lots of them as a club fundraiser. From 90% not fitting we have now progressed to more than 90% fitting with no adjustment. They are not the smooth bends of the originals, but they do do the job well.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

The last photo in my pics IS the Larry Smith pipe, which, as I alluded to, Langs should be selling soon. So, that part is currently (or soon to be currently) available. It's made exactly like the Ford on, copied from some originals, I believe even NOS.
The short tailpipe is just tubing the OD of the ID of the back piece opening, you slid it in, then upset one (or two)places on the end, capturing it the end casting--there's a place in the casting just for this. The earlier tailpipe is just the same, but with a slight bend in it to direct the exhaust gasses downward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

I've got the correct muffler ends and the straight tail pipe but the outside shell didn't fit. It was too small so I made it work, just don't get under and look at it. If I had the wrap you couldn't tell. The shells they make now may be correct, I've had mine almost 20 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Something that is not commonly known is Ford changed the contour of that pipe at least three times from 1913-1920. The ones I had made are the final style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

After reading all of this and looking at my muffler, I have the original cast iron ends like David showed in his pictures.

Does that mean all I need are the three metal cylinders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

It would sound that way Marty. I'm sure the stuff at the vendors will suffice. They're so much fun putting 'em all together with those long bolts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Tim,

Thanks. I wondered how hard that would be. My muffler is making some funny noises and I'm wondering if I need to replace the cylinders. The car was an oil burner until we changed the rings a couple of months ago. The head was chock full of carbon and I'm wondering if the muffler is, tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Marty, no doubt it is. Before you spend $$, open it up (you'll have to anyway if you replace the innards), Might just need a good cleaning and "re-established" in place. Just remember the orientation of the holes of the two inner tubes, one goes one way, the other, opposite. Keeping them "still" when putting on the outer shell and the other cast end is the fun part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Marty,
You going for a Stynoski award? Just go to Tractor Supply and lay out 18 bucks for a muffler. Makes your T sound like an 8N. Just sayin'. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

George - Not suggesting this,....just curious. Do you suppose a Model A muffler would make a Model T sound like a Model A? I have to say, Model A's always have that pleasant slightly sounding "ring" to the exhaust. Seems like it would sound the same on a Model T. After all, similar 4 cylinder flathead configuration engine on an A or a T,....right? Just slightly less compression and a bit less displacement,......???

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration