Car Storage in Trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Car Storage in Trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Question: Are there any problems with long term storage of a vehicle in an enclosed trailer? Friend of mine said it will open/break the seal bead on the tires after prolonged storage? I think he may be right, as after storage on a trailer I was having problems keeping air in the tires.

Any thoughts or comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Never heard of that.
Are u talking about the tires on the car or the trailer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

I don't think a trailer storage would have anything but a good effect on tires. Sunlight and ozone cause tires to deteriorate. Lack of air circulation in a trailer would naturally reduce ozone. Sunlight would be completely blocked.

However a trailer is not ideal, because the lack of air circulation means that when the trailer gets humid inside it stays that way. A friend tried storing his 1911 Model T in an enclosed trailer. After a month all the brass turned pretty dark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

On the trailer. This friend is a high school auto mechanic instructor. So pretty knowledgeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Any storage, short or long term, has risks. Specific risks vary for many reasons. Enclosed trailers tend to get too hot if sitting in direct sunlight. Ventilation may help. Ventilation also usually increases the risk from bugs and mice.
Humidity varies a lot based upon where you live. In an enclosed trailer, higher humidity coupled with poor ventilation can result in "sweating" on the car. The combination of heating and sweating can result in severe damage. Many years ago, a friend of mine had a 1910 Brush that was beautifully (and well) restored about ten years earlier before he bought it. He ran short of storage space (I wouldn't know anything about that kind of problem :-) ), and the Brush got the short straw. After about two years in the trailer, nearly all the paint on the wooden body had fallen off, and nearly half the paint on the metal (fenders etc) was ruined. The top was mildewed. I have seen other cars, with leather upholstery, come out after a year with green mildew all over the leather. A few with cloth upholstery did not fare much better.
The tight spaces inside a trailer are part of the problem. With the right amount of ventilation, as well as not too dry, and not too damp, they can be alright.
A small metal shed with a dry floor, and another couple feet on the sides is slightly better, but still risky.
Trailers can also be driven off with.
Security has become problematical everywhere.
Wherever you store a car, it should be looked over at least occasionally. A good once-over every week would be good, just to make sure of over-all conditions and head off developing troubles.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Storing a car for a prolonged time in a trailer is as bad as one of those public storeage places. Before I finally found Clarabelle my '13 near Minneapolis, I checked into one on Hemmings that the owner wanted $34K for it. The pics he sent of it were nothing like the one and only pic in the ad. The paint was RUINED, from the heat and humidity and no doubt then the cool/cold nights afterward. The brass was practically black. The car was in Oklahoma. Deal breaker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

I stored my T in a trailer for years. I used a 100W light bulb just to keep the moisture down. ( not sure it helped) But, it survived in great shape. J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I have had good luck storing a model A in a used 18ft pace and year around it's stays really dry. The car is a old roadster but I don't notice any issues but again it's not a nice restored car with shinny paint and new interior. Just my experience. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Re : High school instructors, those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Have you seen this recent thread? Hope you have an extra good way of securing it.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/657196.html?1467840240

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Royce, a HUGE exception to that rule, is our own Bob Scherzer. He is the most capable and knowledgeable person I have encountered. No Joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Bob Sherzer is awesome! I had no idea he was / is a high school teacher! That is amazing. You have to be devoted to work for wages that low and put up with that kind of abuse .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Royce, this friend of my is a very capable mechanic. Some people like to teach (my wife taught for 40 years); someone has to educate the next generation. He is from New Zealand and just got his citizenship in US last year. His only fault is he likes old Buicks, he has a 1964 Wildcat. But I don’t hold that against him.

I was just looking for more ‘storage’; but will probably scrap the idea of storing a car in the trailer!?!?!?? Sounded good though. LOL

Dan, I took the wheels off the trailer on one side and have it on blocks! Shouldn’t have to worry about it as it is in the front yard behind a shed within shotgun range. But you never know. That post you listed had me concerned.

I have stored weight on an open trailer and had problems with keeping air in the trailer tires. But my daughter has a car with rims that keep corroding and also breaking the seal/bead; 2005 Sebring.
I used Slime, but hard to balance.

Thanks to everyone who made comments!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

I've stored my quads and dirt bikes in my toyhauler for ten years with no issues. Don't see any issue with storing a car inside a trailer. But I do live in California where the humidity is extremely low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:08 am:

I store my T's in my trailers with no problems.
I also taught "shop" for 35 years at the high school level. I can, I do,and I taught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:37 am:

Storing a vehicle in a trailer is no problem. Make sure the air pressure is up on the trailer tires, no water is leaking in, and your all set. The only downfall is that if someone steals your trailer they get the prize inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:05 am:

I run a de-humidifier in my trailer with the T and the trailer is parked under a tree for shade ... no problems ever..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Grandpa has stored his 1914 Case in the trailer for probably most of my life, which is 28 years and counting. He keeps the trailer inside a shed with a dirt/gravel floor, and he has the trailer climate controlled. The car comes out of the trailer two, maybe three times a year, but she's still flawless every time we roll her out. The biggest problem with the trailer that we have right now is our pickups keep getting bigger and they don't quite fit the trailer right anymore. Not as much clearance in the bed, as we have a gooseneck trailer. We use the part above the hitch to carry a collection of Case seats and wrenches, and an original cast iron Case Eagle as would have been seen in Case dealerships in the 40s and 50s. Dad and I have been weighing our options between buying a new trailer to fit our trucks or buying an old truck to fit our trailer.

I guess storing cars in the trailers is dependent on a lot of factors, like how you're going to store the trailer once you load it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:31 am:

I store my 1912 in an enclosed. I stored my 1940 Merc for years before that. They both did fine. Now my sister's 57 didn't fare well but she never opened the door for 3 years. It looked fine except the nice painted suspension has rust now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Why would a loaded car trailer be any different than an rv or camper trailer? I don't know that they have any problems with the tire beads breaking loose and many set in one place for a long time. Of course, it would be wise to check the tire pressure now and then anyway, loaded or not. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Dave, I agree. After all this discussion. I think I will go ahead and store a car in it. Trailer does not have a vent in it, so I will install one. Thanks for all the comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 03:20 am:

Chuck - Not sure if this makes sense or not, but whenever there is discussion about ventilation in an enclosed trailer, I can't help wondering if one of those small solar powered vents on one end of the trailer, and a simple plain vent at the other end would be a good idea. If nowhere else, I believe marine supply stores sell the solar powered ones. Just a thought,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 06:38 am:

I keep my Curved Dash Olds in my enclosed trailer, I haven't noticed any issues, and the humidity is brutal here in SW Virginia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:47 am:

In Southern California, I have stored my 1910 REO in my extra tall enclosed trailer for years and have not noticed any issues. The trailer has a top vent that is kept open under an RV vent cover. I also use a car cover inside the trailer.
Storing a car this way keeps it clean and safe. I store the car trailer with tong lock inside a chain locked gate with my pick up parked in front of the gate.
Try and do what you can to prevent theft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

My plan was to store a ’56 chevy in the trailer????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I think a trailer is a good choice when you have a extra car and need to keep it dry. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Midland on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

This article will help and guide you through http://midlandboatrvstorage.com/prepare-your-rv-and-travel-trailers-for-seasonal -storage/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Judy, thanks for the info.
Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

I would recommend parking the trailer in the shade and having some ventilation in the trailer. Ventilation would help prevent overheating in hot weather and condensation in cold weather.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration