Model T"s and weddings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T"s and weddings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

I've been approached a few times and asked if I would do some wedding functions in my "26 Touring. I'm a retired LEO and from the experiences I had hauling strangers in the back seat, shuttling a newlywed couple has to be a whole lot better. :-)

Does anyone have any insight, experiences-good or bad, or suggestions that would support this consideration being good or bad? I'm aware of the legality requirements/for hire. Just don't know if it's worth the risk. I'm probably more concerned about my T getting damaged than anything. (Parade experience when solicited to haul an honorary local.)

Thanks in advance..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Don't know, but I'm about to find out in a couple of weeks when I use mine in my old colleague and neighbor's wedding. My is strictly for gratis though. My biggest concern is the amount of requests for rides after the ceremony, during the reception. Still trying to figure out how to deal with that as the wedding is in a city I'm not real familiar with and I don't care to navigate urban traffic. I may just run it up on the trailer quick and leave it at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

A good way to destroy a wedding dress to have a bride try and get in and out of a T!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

I did three weddings - two for family and one for a good friend. I helped make sure the bride could get in and out of the back of my touring car gracefully with a little practice before hand and it all went fine. Several photo ops for the happy couples and it was all good. I just stayed in the background and let them have their day. All gratis, didn't want to face the chuckles of being "for-hire" and related insurance etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

I've done two weddings.
From the church to the reception hall.
Glad I did them both.
The first one was a good 10 years ago, maybe 18, I got 200 folding greens.
The second was this year, I got 250 and it was their car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

I have had limousines since 1985 when I bought one from George Strait during my college years in San Marcus Texas.

Weddings are easy if you don't mind sitting in the heat. It is very important to get paid upfront for a minimum of three hours because there are often delays.

I plan to use my model T for weddings soon, and the first concern that comes to mind is to make sure they do not expect us to drive them to the airport or hotel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Christopher-

I don't know about West Virginia, but here in Oregon, there is a ton of special licensing to do it for hire. You can't use Historic license plates, etc. I'm sure people still do it, but don't make a big deal of it.

That being said, I have driven Model Ts in many weddings. Usually it is for a friend of the family, so it is generally my gift to the newlyweds. What does a limo ride cost?

I especially like to drive the couple if they are going from a wedding ceremony to a reception at a different location. Often a photographer will want to follow along and take some shots. I always have a couple of bottles of water to offer to the bride and groom, and sometimes I will have a bottle of Champagne or sparkling cider and a couple of plastic footed glasses.

Generally I will ask the couple if they would like to stop anywhere along the way, take a little breather, maybe have some pictures taken, and have a bit of alone time, before facing the crowds at the reception.

I like to wear my chauffeur costume and really play up the part! Sometimes I will wear black slacks instead of the jodhpurs, so I can make a quick change back and forth from wedding guest to chauffeur.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Now if someone slides something under the seat with out asking...get my drift. :-) Then it was a gift not payment. If you plan to hire out better check your state and local laws. Friends and family, different thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Mark

That is how I would approach it. No charge for the ride, but a gratuity is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

$100hr is pretty standard for wedding cars. Of course you will want have to have the legal permits and insurance, etc. before you advertise and earn that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Mark, reminds me of my younger years when we had keg parties. To circumvent an ABC license, we accepted donations. But no donation, no beer! :-)

Keith, I remember seeing your photo posted previously and the Chauffer outfit is the way to do it. Pretty slick and probably what got me into giving it more consideration.

Chris, Excellent suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

I get flagged down regularly for wedding photos. Too often, I get asked to chauffeur weddings with my Runabout! I tell them all I can do is runaway with the bride. See the photo here? Do you think the groom got a nice tire mark on his tux? I never really looked. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

I have done numerous weddings with our 1910 2 cylinder REO when we lived in Ridgecrest Calif. The town was small and easy to get around with the REO. When asked how much....I responded that there would be no charge provided my wife & I are invited to the reception. Bringing the car was our wedding present. We made many new friends and because no $$$'s were exchanged, never had any insurance issues.
I never had any issues with damage to my car or anyone getting hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 12:28 am:

Well it is a "T" of sorts.
This was my new daughter in law navigating the entry into my fiberglass "bucket" (no doors).
All went well, though the brides Mother nearly had a coronary on the spot.

Rod
step

jenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Dave Wells - Look at it this way,.....not much of an issue, when you consider that "a tire mark on his tux" would be a lot easier to get away with than "lipstick on his collar"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:05 am:

I have a friend that does this for living. He has a couple model a's and a couple RR. He says be ready to have your cars trashed out. He has to deal with drunk brides and grooms getting sick in them. He makes good money doing it, but you antique car insurance will not be any good. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Knew a couple of guys back in the late 80s/early 90s who practically made a living out of doing this with their Model As. It started off low key as a favor to family & friends, but the demand grew exponentially outside those circles. Weekends from late April through early October became pretty full - one guy was booking multiple weddings a day and zipping from one to another. Going rate back then was $100 an hour and usually included a meal at the reception. They generally picked up the bride at her house, drove her to the church and then dropped the couple off at the reception after the ceremony. Sticking around for photos was extra. Because they didn't hang around after the reception, they didn't deal with any sick drunks as I recall. Biggest issue were brides scuffing the rear fenders with their heels as they got in. One guy decided his time on the weekends with his family was worth more than what he was making (which was considerable) and gave it up after a year or so (he was also getting nervous about the insurance I think). The other guy was a widower with no immediate family in the area and nothing else to do on the weekends. He LOVED driving for weddings and did it for years - until he passed away actually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

I have done it a few times.The most unusual was the bride wanted a ride to the church in my 14,from the church to the reception in my 47 Ford convertible.The most negative experience the bride wanted to use my 54 Merc hardtop, then wanted her picture taken sitting on the hood. Of course I said no and explained why. She was pissed and let everyone know it. I kind of felt sorry for the new husband.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Dan,

Good job taking control of that bridezilla. I often have to remind my drivers to, "Be the captain or they will make you a cabin boy."

It is very difficult to find professional chauffeurs who will treat my cars as I would, so there is zero chance that I will trust anyone else to drive my Model T unless I'm in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

The answer to so many thing is, "It depends." _It's not often I'm asked to chauffeur a wedding, but in that infrequent case, there are a few mutual understandings to be established. _First and foremost, a 100-year-old car has the right to decide not to get up that morning. _Sometimes, the ol' Flivver just won't start and that's all she wrote. _Therefore, I make sure the bride and groom understand that they must have an appropriately appointed car on standby, nearby, in case the horseless carriage picks that day to break down—something it is going to do now and then. _One thing I can depend on is that when a breakdown happens, it won't be at a convenient time.

Two other things are the law and insurance requirements. _A driver who hires himself out needs a chauffeur's license. _A car available for hire must conform to whatever the requirements the D.O.T. requires. _Commercial liability insurance isn't the same as private liability insurance. _When you hire yourself and your car out, all of these things (and some others I didn't think of) come into play. _In case of a minor accident which gets reported, you could be in for all kinds of unanticipated legal difficulty.

You can probably eliminate the professional consequences by simply not accepting any kind of payment. _When I've been asked to do a wedding, it has always been by a friend, anyway, so it became part of the wedding gift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

I drove my oldest daughter in a '14 touring that I had recently aquired. Afterwards she learned that it was her wedding gift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

I've done a few impromptu wedding photo shoots. The most recent was during our trial run for the centennial celebration of the Historic Columbia Gorge Highway. Regarding legalities, it's as most have said here: do it for free, or follow your state's limo rules.

The most unusual event I've done though, is a funeral. Our car has a complete history, including the original sales documents with the family name. One of the original owners passed away in 2010 at age 103. We contacted the family and told them that we still had their Model T, it still runs, and would they like to have it at the funeral? We ended up driving members of the immediate family from the funeral to the reception. At the end of the evening, the great-grandson looked at me and said, "You've been the life of the funeral." I don't expect I'll ever top that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 06:06 am:

I've done a couple of weddings and some Graduation pics for family recently. Doing it for money is something I've avoided. Dealing with bridezilla or a hard too handle mother doesn't appeal to me.I dress how they ask. I've also offered top up or down. All have chosen top down.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration