Cleaning cylinders during head swap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cleaning cylinders during head swap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

I looked inside the cylinders and saw quite a bit of carbon buildup.

My new Z head is being shipped to me, so I am visualizing how to clean the piston tops & valves while it's apart.

Any advice and or videos will be appreciated. I need to create step-by-step instructions or I will probably forget something.

Once I had a timing belt "party" at my house for Porsche 928s. We successfully changed for timing belts, but I forgot to plug in the hidden coil wire for one bank of cylinders on my own car. My car caught fire, and you can guess the rest of the story...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

After cleaning, turn the crank until each piston is at the bottom.

Fill the cylinder with Barbasol shaving cream, and rotate slowly to the top. Wipe clean.

Repeat if necessary for each cylinder.

I laughed like hell when I was first told this, but then became a believer when I saw how clean the cylinders were afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Also, the parts store, like NAPA, has carbon an gasket remover, work pretty good, I'll have to try Barbasol, just for grins. Thanks, Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Back in the 70's, I used to clean the cylinders of the 8 cylinder 350 short block on my '74 Camaro by dripping a few drops of water into the Rochester 4 Barrel carburetor. A mechanic friend told me about this and I did it a few times. It sounded like it worked and with all the black smoke that came from the exhaust pipe, it appeared to work, but I don't really know if it worked or not. Has anyone else ever heard of doing this? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:54 am:

I've heard of it but never tried it. I think this crap they call gas nowadays already has water pre mixed in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:09 am:

Thank You for the shaving cream advice and yes, we poured cups of water through carburetors back in the day, but mostly to impress each other. It was great fun but, like you, I never inspected the cylinders afterwards. Now we have these nifty cameras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:30 am:

You have to be sparing of the water because a liquid does not compress and a bent rod or broken piston can result if too much water is introduced. I was shown this back when I was a kid and told it was from the ''Model T Days''. And it does remove the carbon. An engine back in the day ( pre-fuel injection with low voltage ignition) was apt to buildup carbon if driven at low speeds and for short distances. The result of this with the old carb engines was bad pre-ignition under load and run-on after the ignition was shut off because the carbon buildup would ''glow'' in the cylinders and ignite fuel regardless of the ignition cycle. You could take the vehicle out on a high speed run and ''blow it out'' or introduce a little water (usually dripping it from a Coke bottle) and all would be well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Shaving cream is something I have never heard of but I am replacing the head gasket on A model engine in the next few weeks and can't wait to try it. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

Burma Shave??
Years of Toil & Sin
The head grows bald
But not the Chin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:03 am:

I have done the water mist on a running engine did clean it out but it was not old hard stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:09 am:

My engine's full of carbon guck
To clean it good it only took
A splash of water from the brook
Barbasol Shave.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration