First Time Back On The Road In Years

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: First Time Back On The Road In Years
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Yesterday, with a lot of help from Frank Woodin, my 1915 Roadster was back on the road after being in hibernation for probably about 10 years. I also got my first driving lesson. Here is a photo with Frank at the wheel and me as a passenger.

I am grateful for the advice and encouragement I received from the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

Wayne - Welcome back to the road! Your '15 sure has come back a long way in more ways than one. All black and beautiful now as compared to your profile picture of the car!

I just placed an order for some parts and according to the invoice I just received online, I've been charged $45.00 for shipping! You'd think that living between Seattle and Tacoma, I would be able to buy parts locally, but no such luck here! Most of the best parts suppliers are east of us here in the Pacific Northwest,....WAY east. Except one of the very best, Chaffins, which is 1200 miles south!

Having grown up in the western Chicago suburbs, it just occurred to me that living in Batavia as you do, you are indeed fortunate to live so close to one of the best sources of Model T parts in the hobby! Just a nice Model T drive for you up to John Regan's Fun Projects, Inc. in St. Charles! Well, actually, I don't know if he appreciates "walk-ins", but anyway, even shipping would be a lot cheaper for you than what I have to contend with!

I love the Pacific Northwest out here, but there ARE times when I think it would have been advantageous in some ways had I stayed where I was in Roselle, Illinois. As a kid, building my first Model A, I used to go down to Warshawsky's in Chicago and get about anything I needed, both new and used parts! Of course, that was nearly 60 years ago, before that became J.C. Whitney! Oh well,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Harold, what a coincidence, my T had been owned by a Charles H Bainfrom Roselle, IL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I'll be darned! Well, in case there are any other coincidences, my wife and I both grew up in Franklin Park, lived in Bensenville when first married, then bought a home in Roselle but transferred from there with the Milwaukee Road to Deer Lodge, MT. in '72 until that railroad went bankrupt in 1980 at which time, I went to work for the Union Pacific RR in Seattle. Actually, speaking of coincidences, some of my wife's relatives came from Elgin, IL. and her paternal grandfather came from Batavia! Actually, my paternal grandmother also came from Elgin! Way back when as they say, those towns were so small that who knows, maybe some of our relatives were acquainted with some of yours, huh?

But then, this is kinda' silly, 'cause if you go back far enough, I guess in some way or other, we're all "related" right? ......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Did you forget about me, Harold ?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

No Steve,..... I haven't forgotten about you or "Steve's "T" Works. In fact, I intend to take a ride up to your new place to see you folks and your new place one of these days, but lately, family stuff has kept me pretty busy lately. And I was really disappointed when a group of the club guys took a tour up there and they picked the one day that I had a doctors appointment that I just couldn't cancel or postpone! And by the way, I've been advised in regard to what a nice day they had with you both that day!

However, I know that that's not what you meant. What you meant was,....did I forget that you are a Model T Ford parts dealer as well as mechanic, engine rebuilder, etc.

No, I did not forget about "Steve's "T" Works! What I really didn't want to bring up was the fact that what I purchased online (....and am paying $45.00 to have shipped) were parts for my '29 Model A Ford Briggs Town Sedan! As you know, there are a few guys like me on this forum that are not only Model "T" enthusiasts, but also like Model A's! But for some reason which I really don't understand, bringing up anything about Model A's on this Model T forum can be something akin to bringing up "gun control" at a PTA meeting!

Actually Steve, I know you've been doing a lot of work in setting up your new shop and home and all, and you really haven't been too vocal about how much "NEW" Model T work you still want to take in, and how much of the Model "T" parts business you're still doing,.....???

And by the way, as long as you've "forced me" (:^) to bring this all up, one of the reasons I want to get up there to your new shop (besides) the social aspect and all, is to let you know that I'm gonna' have at least one more Model T engine for you to rebuild one of these days, and I need to find out if I can count on that! My oldest Son, the one with the big family of "kids of all ages" and the one that has the most interest in the Model "T's, he's gonna' inherit the '23 Roadster, as he and my daughter-in-law used that one in their wedding, but I don't want to give that car to him with the "tired" engine in it as I know he'll never have much time or $$$ to spend on it! So, I'm counting on giving him a '23 Roadster that runs as good and is a dependable as the '27 depot hack engine that you rebuilt for us! So, all of that to say,...take care of yourself,....'cause we need ya' swing'n wrenches for a long time yet,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Now I really feel "loved" !!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Nice looking car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Well,.....ahem,......ahhh,......let's just say you do good work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Here's a big pat on the back Wayne! Slow down and smell the roses tho ... or is that cotton thistle?

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:19 am:

Harold,
I've done a LOT of work on A fordors, including one 29 blindback that I replaced every piece of wood in it. So some of us don't mind talking As too. Go ahead and PM if you want to talk fordors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:51 am:

Wayne J, The runabout is looking good! Always fun to get one back on the road again.
I can hardly wait until my '15 runabout is at that point.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration