Speedster gas tank with brass straps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster gas tank with brass straps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

If you have a tank with brass straps do you put anything between the tank and the straps, like a piece of rubber, to prevent the straps from scratching or damaging the tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

McMaster-Carr has a nice assortment of cotton webbing that works really good for placing between the straps and the tank. Here is a link:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cotton-webbing/=136n49y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Find an old bike tire tube and cut it accurately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

I used leather strips and glued to the brass strap
Fitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I used Nylon strapping on mine.It doesn't rot and dries out faster than a cotton based strap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Go to Walmart and buy leather belts. I used them for gas tank on speedster I built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

I've seen ones made out of imitation leather. There was something like a clothes line rope sewn inside of it, on either side of the strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

I used cotton military belting

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration